Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I have done some research on installing LED tail lights and eagle eye headlights.

For the LED tail lights I have read about having to install a resistor to make them work properly. In the description on the site to buy them it says they are plug and play. I just want to clarify what I need before I buy them?

For the headlights I have seen that they are for the most part plug and play but have seen one members install guide and they had to drill a hole to allow one of the tabs?? to fit correctly. Will I need to do any drilling or will they install right up?

If you guys could help me out it would be much appreciated. I do have a coupe as well.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Hi guys I have done some research on installing LED tail lights and eagle eye headlights.

For the LED tail lights I have read about having to install a resistor to make them work properly. In the description on the site to buy them it says they are plug and play. I just want to clarify what I need before I buy them?

For the headlights I have seen that they are for the most part plug and play but have seen one members install guide and they had to drill a hole to allow one of the tabs?? to fit correctly. Will I need to do any drilling or will they install right up?

If you guys could help me out it would be much appreciated. I do have a coupe as well.

Tail Lights:
If you are buying tail lights that use built-in LEDs for blinkers, you will likely NOT have to use a load resistor; however, if you are putting LED bulbs into a set of non-LED tail lights, you will have to add a load resistor across the ground and blinker wires. Don't be intimidated, it's stupidly simple.

Headlights:
If anything, just make sure you do NOT buy Spyder Auto headlights. They're absolute crap. The best you can get for aftermarket projector headlights are Eagle Eyes, but I still wouldn't recommend buying those if you're planning to use HIDs. Although HIDs will fit perfectly in them, the light output isn't even comparable to a proper, true HID projector. As for the drilling thing, you'll have to drill a hole in each crossmember for the aiming adjuster screw to extend far enough to aim the lights high enough. Either that or you can chop a bit of the adjuster screw off, whatever you want. My recommendation here is to get someone, like me, to retrofit your stock headlights with an HID projector. I guarantee you'll be happy you did.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I would agree with that post. I did the wrong thing by buying spyder headlights. I actually just had to rewire my passenger headlight cause the writing in it is crap.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tail Lights:
If you are buying tail lights that use built-in LEDs for blinkers, you will likely NOT have to use a load resistor; however, if you are putting LED bulbs into a set of non-LED tail lights, you will have to add a load resistor across the ground and blinker wires. Don't be intimidated, it's stupidly simple.

Headlights:
If anything, just make sure you do NOT buy Spyder Auto headlights. They're absolute crap. The best you can get for aftermarket projector headlights are Eagle Eyes, but I still wouldn't recommend buying those if you're planning to use HIDs. Although HIDs will fit perfectly in them, the light output isn't even comparable to a proper, true HID projector. As for the drilling thing, you'll have to drill a hole in each crossmember for the aiming adjuster screw to extend far enough to aim the lights high enough. Either that or you can chop a bit of the adjuster screw off, whatever you want. My recommendation here is to get someone, like me, to retrofit your stock headlights with an HID projector. I guarantee you'll be happy you did.

These are the tail lights I was looking at:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290613012353

So with these I shouldn't have to use resistors. I have also seen that people have blown fuses when installing these if they don't install them the right way before turning them on. Would that be something I need to worry about beforehand?

I will definitely be going with eagle eyes as I have heard poor reviews on the spyders. I don't plan on going with HIDs just wanted to know if the stock eagle eyes will be plug and play aside from the drilling.

Thanks again for the response it is very helpful!

·
Premium Member
221 Posts

So with these I shouldn't have to use resistors. I have also seen that people have blown fuses when installing these if they don't install them the right way before turning them on. Would that be something I need to worry about beforehand?

I will definitely be going with eagle eyes as I have heard poor reviews on the spyders. I don't plan on going with HIDs just wanted to know if the stock eagle eyes will be plug and play aside from the drilling.

Correct. With those, you won't have to use load resistors. If you blow a fuse for whatever reason, you can always get a set of 5 from AutoZone for like $3.

If you would like to go with Eagle Eyes then it's up to you. I'll just let you know of a few things:

1. A retrofit for your stock housings wouldn't be much more expensive than buying a pair of Eagle Eyes. Even for the slightly higher cost, I guarantee you'll be much happier with the light output. You also won't have to do any drilling.
2. You will most likely have to seal the Eagle Eyes up with some [black] silicone because they typically have some type of a moisture issue.
3. I've personally seen pairs of Eagle Eyes and Spyders that have the UV protective coating peeling off. Although stock lights will still oxidize over time, you can always restore them without issues, especially since their coating doesn't peel off.

Good luck with whatever you do!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Correct. With those, you won't have to use load resistors. If you blow a fuse for whatever reason, you can always get a set of 5 from AutoZone for like $3.

If you would like to go with Eagle Eyes then it's up to you. I'll just let you know of a few things:

1. A retrofit for your stock housings wouldn't be much more expensive than buying a pair of Eagle Eyes. Even for the slightly higher cost, I guarantee you'll be much happier with the light output. You also won't have to do any drilling.
2. You will most likely have to seal the Eagle Eyes up with some [black] silicone because they typically have some type of a moisture issue.
3. I've personally seen pairs of Eagle Eyes and Spyders that have the UV protective coating peeling off. Although stock lights will still oxidize over time, you can always restore them without issues, especially since their coating doesn't peel off.

Could you PM me with a price for a stock headlamp retrofit?

·
Perfessor
177 Posts

iRock,
You can also get your projector headlamp from Sabersport (the same company your looking at for your tail lights). I got mine from them a few years ago (4 or so) and while I have had a few problems, they were very helpfull in fixing them.

The first time was a seal problem on the passenger light. I sent them pics of all the condensation on the inside and the sent me a replacement, nqa.

The second problem was the back plate warping. this time they replaced the set with new ones, I just put down a $210 deposit which I got back after sending the bad ones in.

Sabersport is a good company in my experience.

As for the other part that the others were 'discussing'. I did need to drill a small hole a bit larger than the adjustment screw (not the knob) to go thru the frame at that point. Easy enough. Just remember to spray a bit of paint thru the hole to prevent rusting.

And do your adjusting at night, lol.

·
Registered
290 Posts
D0M1NIX would you ever suggest retrofitting the spyder projectors with morimotos? I like the look of the spyder lights but just hate the light output.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Thanks man. I will after work. Government computers dont allow G6 Performance. But oddly enough they allow this site o_O

·
Registered
290 Posts
its really weird. And i saw the posts during lunch. What would you charge to do a retrofit like that on a pair of spyder headlights?

·
Registered
290 Posts
alright man. email headed your way.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

When it comes time to install these tail lights and my new headlights I want to have some spare fuses around just incase. Would someone be able to direct me to the correct fuses it would need for headlights and tail lights (not sure if they are different)? I'm not exactly sure what to look for and don't want to end up buying the wrong thing.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
When it comes time to install these tail lights and my new headlights I want to have some spare fuses around just incase. Would someone be able to direct me to the correct fuses it would need for headlights and tail lights (not sure if they are different)? I'm not exactly sure what to look for and don't want to end up buying the wrong thing.

Just look in your fuse box under your hood (just to the right of the engine). The fuse for your headlights will be a mini 15A red fuse. I have no clue what the fuse for the taillights looks like.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.