Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have had Red LED strips mounted under my dash for quite some time now. My question is what is the best way to mount them up there? I originally used the double sided tape that they came with but then after one time of using the floor setting for heat they started to fall off. Then I tried gluing them up there with super and that held for a little while but again the floor heat caused them to fall. I then tried better 3M double sided tape and that worked well but failed eventually. I am looking for a more permanent solution to mounting these LED strips under my dash. Its annoying to have to fix them every few weeks. How have you guys mounted them up there? Thanks

·
Registered
474 Posts
PM becksmerc, he has them up in his car and hasn't had problems with that, from what I know!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your responses....I am gonna try double sided tape and the zip tie method at the ends and see how that holds up

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea thats how its been for a while now they would start to peel off at the ends and i would try to fix it and it would only be temporary. As soon as I get myself moved into this new place I am going to fix these lights up with some zip ties at the ends

·
Registered
21 Posts
i have some led strips coming in the mail. initially i was going to wire it to the dome light fuse. but is there a way i can wire the driver/passenger side to its own map light? so you can turn them on with the overhead button???

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
There is. You can just tap into the wire that feeds power to the socket for that map light. Since leds take nearly no power it wouldn't be too much of a draw for the circuit. You would just need to run a wire from the map light down to your led strip.
so anytime that map light is on, so will your led strip.

·
Registered
21 Posts
There is. You can just tap into the wire that feeds power to the socket for that map light. Since leds take nearly no power it wouldn't be too much of a draw for the circuit. You would just need to run a wire from the map light down to your led strip.
so anytime that map light is on, so will your led strip.
thanks, if i pull the covers off the map lights will i see the wire your talking about?

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Here, I pulled off my cover and snapped some pics.
When you pull the cover you see this:

The light you want to tap into is the passenger one, here's what it looks like on top:

When I was installing my LEDS I found that pushing a tad too hard will pop the socket right out, You'll get this.
Obviously one wire is ground, the other is positive.

Only thing is I don't know which wire is switched, either one is always grounded, or the other is always hot.

Some simple volt meter work should solve that and get things moving.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Here, I pulled off my cover and snapped some pics.

Only thing is I don't know which wire is switched, either one is always grounded, or the other is always hot.

Some simple volt meter work should solve that and get things moving.
thank you! much appreciated

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
One thing I just remembered. My led map lights glow a little when they should be off. So there is the chance the led strip will glow as well. Unless the map lights are regular bulbs, then you shouldn't have a problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So, I have been looking at LEDs to put in under the dash board and such. I would like to know how one would wire it to turn on while the headlights and dash lights are on, but turn off when the headlights and dash lights are off. I'm newbie, and wiring isn't my specialty.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts