Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the first time my headlight went out I bought a new bulb and put it in myself. It worked....at least I thought it did. I have no clue when it stopped but the day I drove my brother to his interview I noticed it in the window as I parked. I was pretty pissed. However a few days later I checked it and the light was working. And now last night after picking my lady up from work one of her coworkers alerted that my headlight was out.

I'm thinking maybe it's the wire harness? The employee suggested getting some type of headlight gel from autozone? Said that it could be from water leaking in (maybe I didn't seal the headlight up enough the first time?)

Any ideas??? :confused: I've already been pulled over once and I'm not trying to get a ticket for something that would probably cost me less than $50.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
There is a common issue with corrosion building up in the connectors for the headlights. Over time the more corrosion the less electricity can pass through, as they current gets limited the resistance builds up and produces a lot of heat, Generally melting the harness and causing more issues.

You can try cleaning them up with spray electrical cleaner. Or just unplug them and plug them back in a few times. I'm pretty sure by the "gel" they meant dielectric grease, You can buy this from any auto parts store. Simply putting this in the connectors will limit air and water from getting in and help prevent corrosion and further issues.
I've gone around and added this grease to nearly ever connector I could get my hands on.

In many cases the damage is bad enough to require a new harness, hopefully you don't have that big of a problem.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well taking the headlight off myself was a pain in the ass and I broke some clip on it...so I'm really not trying to do anything myself now...but I don't want to take it to Carmax because I feel as if they're going to bullshit me and tell me something's wrong when there really isn't.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Very well could be. That sucks you broke a clip. But there really isn't any other way to get to that harness, It's something you could easily do yourself, but it's all up to you if you want to tear into it.
Personally I hate taking my car to other people for work.

·
Registered
295 Posts
My2ndCar-My1stG6,

I’m sorry you are experiencing this issue with your vehicle. This issue may be related to a connection issue. I recommend consulting with a certified technician for additional assistance. They will be able to offer an official diagnosis after inspecting the vehicle.

If you need assistance locating a technician in your area, please PM me your zip code.

Please keep us posted.

Louis
GM Customer Service

·
Registered
13 Posts
Like CruisinG6 suggested, I'm betting it is your wiring harness.

I had the same problem with mine and decided to pull it out again. Sure enough, the wiring harness, specifically the bulb plug, had completely melted through. You can easily replace it with a new wiring harness. The tools, harness, and bulb shouldn't set you back more than $20.

And I am sorry you actually have to take your headlight out again. I know how much of a pain that is. Not half as intuitive as every other Pontiac I have owned.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I don't trust myself to do it again but the guy from AutoZone told me that its probably just my bulb because I didn't wear gloves...so I took it to Carmax and I'm still waiting for them to look at it. They want to charge $100 for labor for the light...maybe I should have done it myself

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Just an fyi the majority of people that work at auto parts stores don't know a damn thing about cars. they're just there for the paycheck. Sure its possible the bulb blew from the oils on your fingers being in the bulb, but corrosion issues with the sockets is a common problem with these cars... I don't blame you for not wanting to pull the light out, such a pain with the bumper there and the little fender clip thing.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Contagious?

Must be something in the air. Yesterday, after doing a good deed by helping a stranded motorist who had run out of gas, i noticed my drivers side headlight was out! :mad: (that's not how this karma stuff is supposed to work! LOL!) I'll be stopping by the parts store and getting a new one on the way home. I have yet to look at it but apparently the bulb isn't accessible without removing the entire headlight? I'll find out soon enough. I have recently been experiencing headlight issues with my 02' Trailblazer. Had to replace the original passenger lamp socket after it had melted (stealer wanted $35 for a new socket!!!), only to have the exact same thing happen to the replacement socket (which was high temp rated, but only cost $6 for 2 of them at rockauto.com). So i reinstalled the older lamp that i had saved from some years back and it's been fine for a couple months. I also use the dielectric grease on everything and does a great job. This time around i'll stick with the stock headlamps and hopefully not have overheating issues like i did on the TB.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Must be something in the air. Yesterday, after doing a good deed by helping a stranded motorist who had run out of gas, i noticed my drivers side headlight was out! :mad: (that's not how this karma stuff is supposed to work! LOL!) I'll be stopping by the parts store and getting a new one on the way home. I have yet to look at it but apparently the bulb isn't accessible without removing the entire headlight? I'll find out soon enough. I have recently been experiencing headlight issues with my 02' Trailblazer. Had to replace the original passenger lamp socket after it had melted (stealer wanted $35 for a new socket!!!), only to have the exact same thing happen to the replacement socket (which was high temp rated, but only cost $6 for 2 of them at rockauto.com). So i reinstalled the older lamp that i had saved from some years back and it's been fine for a couple months. I also use the dielectric grease on everything and does a great job. This time around i'll stick with the stock headlamps and hopefully not have overheating issues like i did on the TB.
Dielectric grease is the way to go! And yea unfortunately to replace the bulbs you have to pull the entire headlight. LAME!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Well I don't trust myself to do it again but the guy from AutoZone told me that its probably just my bulb because I didn't wear gloves...so I took it to Carmax and I'm still waiting for them to look at it. They want to charge $100 for labor for the light...maybe I should have done it myself
If the problem was due to fingerprints left on the halogen lamp glass, the glass would have shattered.

And I totally agree with CruisinG6 about most auto store clerks not knowing jack about cars.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you look at the NHTSA reports for our cars and filter to exterior lighting, you'll laugh. Trust me, the odds are that it was not the oil from your fingers. I'll bet you anything that if you pull it again you will see corrosion or melting on the plug/socket that holds the bulb, just like Cruisin said.

Splicing in a new wiring harness is not rocket science; after a few Google searches I'm confident you'd be more than capable of attempting the procedure. If you can cut wires, strip plastic covers with a tool (aka pull really hard), feed two wires into a common connector, squeeze really hard, and wrap electrical tape, then you are qualified.

I paid $25 to fix my own socket in my car. Feel free to pay an additional $75 for some guy who doesn't give a shit about your car to handle it, though.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Yea but If that guy breaks something while pulling out the headlight then its in them to pay for a replacement. Also being carmax I think they have some kind of service deal or something.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Shouldn't be this complicated

So, as we enter day 2 of my attempting to perform what should be a simple 5 minute job i'd like to thank the geniuses at GM for designing it so that the proper replacement technique requires one to take the entire front bumper off just to pull the friggin' headlight out! :banghead: You never cease to amaze me GM with your lack of foresight for those who will have to perform maintenance on GM cars and trucks! I simply ran out of light after work yesterday trying to get the stupid light out. So i'll attempt it today on my lunch hour.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
You don't need the pull the entire bumper off, Just all the clips on the top, then once you pop the light out of the fender clip you can pull it out, if you turn it at the right angle and pull back the bumper a tad, You can slide the bracket right past the fender opening and get it right out.

I've pulled both of my headlights nearly a dozen times this year alone.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok so carmax confirmed the connector melted/corroded. ANd they were going to charge me $45 for a new connector. I said no thanks and I didn't have time and I'd look around elsewhere.

Went to autozone right after, picked up a new lowbeam connector for $8. HA! What a ****ing joke. I'll probably head over to my cousins later this week to have him help me put it in (just in case I do need help, he's pretty "auto smart").

Carmax still charged me $50 (labor) to look at it. They were going to try and charge me for the full hour for $105.

I really need to start doing shit on my own...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Got it

Well, thanks to all the info here i was able to change out the bulb start to finish in about 10 minutes. :) My connector looked like new, so i'm curious as to why certain models have issues with the connectors and others do not. I live in a very corrosive environment, northern Ohio, and put a lot of highway miles on in the winter with salt and snow. So one would think i'd be more likely to have a corrosion issue. Sorry to hear you got screwed My2ndcarMy1stg6 by that Carmax place. I think i'd avoid those guys for sure in the future and look around for a more reasonable garage. Thanks again guys! :D

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If I could, I'd do all the work myself. But I know that's not a possibility. It's good to have mechanically inclined people inside your family though. I should have just canceled the entire headlight appointment and just got the oil change(bought the wrong filter again, for the second time). Next time though, next time!

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Well, thanks to all the info here i was able to change out the bulb start to finish in about 10 minutes. :) My connector looked like new, so i'm curious as to why certain models have issues with the connectors and others do not. I live in a very corrosive environment, northern Ohio, and put a lot of highway miles on in the winter with salt and snow. So one would think i'd be more likely to have a corrosion issue. Sorry to hear you got screwed My2ndcarMy1stg6 by that Carmax place. I think i'd avoid those guys for sure in the future and look around for a more reasonable garage. Thanks again guys! :D
If you look the connectors have little rubber gaskets to prevent moisture from getting in and corroding the connector, I guess on some cars that little gasket just isn't effective enough... It's really give or take on which cars will experience problems. All it takes is a little corrosion to increase resistance and therefore generate lots of heat.

If I could, I'd do all the work myself. But I know that's not a possibility. It's good to have mechanically inclined people inside your family though. I should have just canceled the entire headlight appointment and just got the oil change(bought the wrong filter again, for the second time). Next time though, next time!
It's all about who you know, Even if you aren't too inclined to want to do some things yourself, Friends are family are VERY helpful. I know I have friends always hitting me up to help them with their car issues, Because frankly who can you trust these days.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts