Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never bothered paying attention or asking, but are the steering wheels controls for the cruise/radio controls lighted? I figured they are since the GA's were...Can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
314 Posts
First off, your avatar is exactly the GTP I want ^^.

Secondly, I would be very, very disappointed if they weren't lit. How hard would that be to see at night!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, that pic is the same color and interior I ordered, including the "ultra-bright" wheels...I'm getting antsy and can't wait until my salesperson calls to give me the build date. :eek: :D

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, since it's a 2006, I won't get much of a deal on it (as far as the 2005 incentives go), but I will get GMS since my parents work for GM and its subsidiaries. It won't cost more money, I just have to wait longer :(

My salesgirl did a nationwide search and found that there are no 6-speed on lots yet, so it looks as if mine will be one of the first. I placed the order last Thursday, but since 2 week shutdown is still in effect until this weekend, we probably won't know a build date until late next week. It should only take about 3 weeks from the build date to get here though...so I should have it before my senior year starts. It's just like middle school when you buy a new pair of shoes for the new school year, lol. :D

·
Registered
279 Posts
Yes the cruise and radio controls on steering wheel are backlit.

The 6 speed manual was the last powertrain combo approved for "ship to commerce" so that is one reason may not see many at dealers - plus the fact that most folks don't buy manual trans :)

Be looking forward to more posts when you get your vehicle :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
e2helper said:
Yes the cruise and radio controls on steering wheel are backlit
Excellent :D

....plus the fact that most folks don't buy manual trans :)
Yup, America is getting lazier by the second...Hell, I bet half the nation doesn't know how to "operate" one...

·
Registered
314 Posts
My Firebird is a 5-speed, and my Grand Am GT is a 4 speed auto, but I do have a question about manual transmissions for you engine buffs.

Is there any long term or short term benefits to owning a stick instead of an automatic? The reason I ask is because I dont know if I want a 6 speed GTP or the automatic, and this might help me out. Are there any matenences that have to be done at any times to keep the cars stick working smoothly?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In my opinion, manual transmissions are usually better than automatics. Manual transmissions, when not abused and driven properly will be a great transmission. Some of the man trans now-a-days are stated to be maintenance free, but you still have to change the fluid. Manual transmissions are also the only direct connect between your engine and your wheels. If something breaks, it is usually easier to fix. Don't downshift a lot either...its wears the syncros a lot faster as well.

Automatics can be fun, but if they are abused enough, they jerk when they switch gears and can overheat since they are larger (although they disapate more heat) Automatics usually weigh at least twice as much as a manual, as well.

Personally, if I lived in a city, with really bad stop-go traffic, I'd consider an automatic, but there's no high like driving a manual transmisison. The long term and short term benefits depend on what you are looking for. If you are looking for a "stress-free" drive in traffic and are willing to sacrifice a little bit in gas mileage, go for an auto. If you want to be able to have fun, not have another computer controlling your life/actions, and have a little better MPG, I'd say manual.

Of course, it seems as if a few auto trans are being geared to get better MPG than a manual (i.e. TSX). A manual transmission will cost you less over the long and short run (autos require more fluid and filters, and usually cost upwards of $1000 to opt for it).

Remember that this is my opinion

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And to add to that, it seems as if the "autostick" function on the G6 is a little retarded...it didn't respond as well as I thought it would...real slow, and wouldn't always let me switch into the gear I wanted (although it showed it was in the selected gear).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts