Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Pontiac G6 GT Convertible, 3.9l V6 automatic
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I'm having some trouble with my headlights. A little orange light on the side of the headlights isn't turning on on my driver side. It is working on the passenger side. Problem showed up because my wiring was messed up and I had to rewire the driver's headlight harness. I got it fixed, but when the wiring was fixed my turn signal would be lit up at all times. So I had to take off the wire for that little orange light, and now the rest of the lights work perfectly. Problem I'm having is now I need to get my car inspected (VA) and they said if there's a light there it has to work, so Ive gotta fix this now. Thing is, I've tried searching and I can't even figure out what this light is supposed to be doing. Anybody tell me what this light does, and how I might be able to fix it?

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac G6 GXP, 3.6L V6 sedan
68 Posts
Those little orange lights are parking lights. So I had an issue with my headlights. It all started with the pigtail. The pigtail if not properly electrical greased will rust and you will lose connection causing some of the lights to not work. If you rewired the wires on the headlight without checking the pigtail you could of caused loss of connection to the parking light. I had to go to the junk yard and cut out the pigtail for both ends leaving enough wire to reattach the replacement pigtail matching all the wire colors. I would suggest this method as you cannot buy a pigtail. They only sell the entire wiring harness which is extremely expensive. our G6’s are old and if moisture is in the pigtail you should of checked that first before rewiring the headlights to make it work. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2007 Pontiac G6 GT Convertible, 3.9l V6 automatic
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those little orange lights are parking lights. So I had an issue with my headlights. It all started with the pigtail. The pigtail if not properly electrical greased will rust and you will lose connection causing some of the lights to not work. If you rewired the wires on the headlight without checking the pigtail you could of caused loss of connection to the parking light. I had to go to the junk yard and cut out the pigtail for both ends leaving enough wire to reattach the replacement pigtail matching all the wire colors. I would suggest this method as you cannot buy a pigtail. They only sell the entire wiring harness which is extremely expensive. our G6’s are old and if moisture is in the pigtail you should of checked that first before rewiring the headlights to make it work. Hope this helps.

Thanks for helping me figure out which lights they are! Hopefully I can find some info on what's going on here. Cause I actually have new aftermarket headlights so the pigtail on that end is fine. And I bought the other pigtail brand-new on Amazon because the previous owner had actually completely cut them off and straight wired to the old factory headlights. So the issue wouldn't be rust or moisture or anything cause they're brand new parts. I was able to narrow down which wire turns on the parking light, but when the parking light is on it also lights up the turn signal solid. So now, I'm wondering if maybe they just put the pins in wrong and it's bridging when it shouldnt?

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac G6 GXP, 3.6L V6 sedan
68 Posts
Original owner straight wired the lights because of the same pigtail issue I mentioned about the rust that I had. So new pigtail, your issue is now a wiring match up. Check the other side if its working fine and match up the same wiring. Also just an FYI aftermarket headlights are not water tight sealed. Expect water to get in, though they look nice and real affordable just I went that way myself and learned the hard way and then went back to original GM lights. If you can buy black silicone that’s made for sealing out water and try resealing the headlights real good. Just a suggestion. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for helping me figure out which lights they are! Hopefully I can find some info on what's going on here. Cause I actually have new aftermarket headlights so the pigtail on that end is fine. And I bought the other pigtail brand-new on Amazon because the previous owner had actually completely cut them off and straight wired to the old factory headlights. So the issue wouldn't be rust or moisture or anything cause they're brand new parts. I was able to narrow down which wire turns on the parking light, but when the parking light is on it also lights up the turn signal solid. So now, I'm wondering if maybe they just put the pins in wrong and it's bridging when it shouldnt?
Hopefully you have this solved by now!

Yes It could be the wires were switched. Does the side parking light blink when only the blinker is on? Could the little light bulb simply be burned out now with all of the movement of the Light Assy?

The black wire is the ground for both the turn signal and the side parking light. If I recall correctly, that black wire goes through the little 5 pin connector along with the + wires for the Side Parking Light, Blinker, Low Beam and High Beam. The grounds for the Low Beam and High Beam is a separate black wire. I do not know the colors of the + wires to the bulbs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Original owner straight wired the lights because of the same pigtail issue I mentioned about the rust that I had. So new pigtail, your issue is now a wiring match up. Check the other side if its working fine and match up the same wiring. Also just an FYI aftermarket headlights are not water tight sealed. Expect water to get in, though they look nice and real affordable just I went that way myself and learned the hard way and then went back to original GM lights. If you can buy black silicone that’s made for sealing out water and try resealing the headlights real good. Just a suggestion. Hope this helps.
Water clearly seeped into my aftermarket headlight. Both low beam and turn signal dropped out recently and when I looked inside the pigtail connector noted extensive rust/scale present. Tried various cleaners, then small tools to try and scrape them clean, but the rust just wasn't coming off. Was about to give up on rehabbing the connector when I thought to pull out a tool that has come to the rescue many times - my Dremel. I wondered if there was a tiny grinding attachment in the kit that might help, there are so many. Sure enough, there was this tiny needle shaped grinding attachment tiny enough to fit down into the contact cavities. Worked like a charm, cleaned up the contacts nicely and all light function subsequently recovered.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts