Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having 2 problems and I could really use some help. I own a 2007 G6 Sedan.

1) My first problem started about a year ago one I arrived overseas and could not take it into a dealership...go figure. My rear passanger side door lock only works about 40% of the time. Sometime when I hit the unlock button it pops up or down and other times it just wiggles a little or don't work at all. Not sure what gives there...

2) My second problem started when I was in France and cought the door on a wall (parking areas in Europe are not big enough for American cars!). It popped my door handle and it quickly quit working. I took the door apart and rehucked all the pieces and adjusted them so the door works again. The only problem is now when I lock the door before or after shutting the door. Even though I unlock it the door will not open. I can use the inner door handle or outer door handle, neither work. I do not understand why. Eventually after 20-40 minutres messing with it it will just open like nothing ever happend. Any ideas? (One other thing...when I adjusted the door handle it now opens even though it feels as if is lacking the resistance it should have but it closes itself just fine. The other thing is when I use the inside door handle it actually bouces my outside door handle enough so you can see it open up about 5-8cm. Not sure if that is of any importance.)

Thanks for all your help in advance!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I fixed one of the two problems today. Apparently I adjusted the door handle mechinism to tight so it was pushing down on the rod that goes to the door lock. Basic idea was like trying to unlock the door with the door while someone was pulling on the door handle. Just is not going to work.

I looked into the back door lock issue as well. I can't find any loose wires. I think it might just be a bad door lock. Who knows...any ideas for that out there?

·
GTP 06
588 Posts
if you can get the door panel off, spray some silicone lube on the joints and work the door lock back and forth many times then try it.

·
Professional geek
433 Posts
(parking areas in Europe are not big enough for American cars!).
Nor are many of the streets. The G6 is way too big to try to park over there. Good thing that you at least had a sedan instead of a coupe, you'd never have gotten out of the car. I can't believe that people drive Grand Cherokees and such over there - well, on some roads.

The rear door problem is almost certainly a lubrication (or lack thereof) issue. Besides the joints, check the play in the electric motor shaft (it's a solenoid, but for some reason they insist on calling it a motor) and the mechanism in the door latch and door handle. Move these parts by hand; this should be fairly easy to do. Also make sure you don't have any frog's legs or pâté stuck in the lock button. As maykevin5 notes above, silicone lube is the best thing to use.

~ MattInSoCal
who usually rents a Renault Laguna or Citroën C5 when over there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts