Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am looking to buy a black 08 g6 gt. It is a repo, so I can get it for $12000. It has right at 36,000 miles on it so the warranty is gone. It was a rental so it had regular matenance and it appears to be in new condition. I have a couple of questions. First how reliable are G6's? I have heard some horror stories on the steering column going out and brake problems, but I have also heard poeple who havent had a problem. Also would you reccomend an extended warranty? Is there anything about the car I should know before buying? Are you happy with your G6? I am really excited about the car and I love everything Ive seen so far, but I dont want to rush into it.

· Lifetime Member
3,805 Posts
Hi,

I am looking to buy a black 08 g6 gt. It is a repo, so I can get it for $12000. It has right at 36,000 miles on it so the warranty is gone. It was a rental so it had regular matenance and it appears to be in new condition. I have a couple of questions. First how reliable are G6's? I have heard some horror stories on the steering column going out and brake problems, but I have also heard poeple who havent had a problem. Also would you reccomend an extended warranty? Is there anything about the car I should know before buying? Are you happy with your G6? I am really excited about the car and I love everything Ive seen so far, but I dont want to rush into it.

So you will be the third owner? My G6 GT was a rental car. Keep in mind that some people could give a rats ass about rentals and dog the hell out of them (those of you who do are wrong and have bad karma coming your way) so let your mechanic look at it and yes IMO get the extended warrenty. If all is ok, I would consider buying it.

· Registered
346 Posts
I've had my 09 G6 GT for about a month now and I love it.

The one problem I have, that I haven't yet found a (free) remedy for, is that my breaks squeak - the dealership claims that my new brakes need to be 'broken in' and then it will stop. When my brakes finally go bad, I'll install a new set of higher performing ones myself to fix the annoying squeal. Other than that, no problems at all.

Since I've had my car for only a month, I can't tell you about it's reliability in longevity, however, I have driven it for hours and all over the place and I haven't had a single issue with it.

I did purchase the extended warranty, and I'd suggest you do the same, just for insurance. I love my G6 and as long as it's well maintained I'm sure there shouldn't be anything wrong with it, however, we've had a Pontiac Grand AM 10 years ago, and that thing was a P.O.S. that would constantly have problems and break down. (Perhaps it was just a sour egg)... Since I have a relative who owns a 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP and that thing is running strong, even after dealing with their terrible driving, run-in's with posts, parked cars, and poor maintenance. So Pontiac's really are two-sided: You either get a good pick, or it's nothing but problems (At least from past experience) and yet, I still went out and bought my G6 GT ... That should tell you something. ;)

I am completely happy and satisfied with my car! Get it! You won't regret it!

· 2006 Black G6 GT
395 Posts
Extended warranties are a must. Even though its an '08, like geewhiz said, sometimes people treat rentals like garbage. And make sure you shop around. Go to tons of dealers and find the best one, don't just jump on that cuz you saw it early in your lookings.

As far as i know, i and everyone on here LOVES their six. They are great.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did it, I bought it. :D

I had my mechanic look it over and it is mechanically sound, and has a new set of tires. I hope that the renters were nice:(. I had done my homework on other prices and I couldnt beat this one. I was able to finance at 1% and the cars base price was at least $3,000 cheaper than any other that I had found. My mechanic also convinced me to not get the extended warranty. That is my only concern, but its really a gamble as to whether I am cheaper to pay at least $2000 on a warranty and then it may not cover everything that goes wrong, or hope I dont have any serious trouble. :rolleyes:

Now I am looking into floormats (it didnt have any) and keys (It only has 1). Where can I get a key made? I was looking on ebay at keys, but do G6 keys have transponders?

Thanks to everyone who replied.

· Registered
346 Posts
Did you buy it from a dealership? When I bought my G6 it only had one key, but they made another for me, at no additional cost (after purchasing it.) Try and ask them for another if you did purchase it from a G6 dealership... And CONGRATS ON THE AWESOME CAR! :D

· Registered
555 Posts
The G6 took this mans heart. Happened to all of us.

Congratulations!!!!

· Premium Member
5,786 Posts
The manual should have key info in it. welcome. Lloyds has the best aftermarket mats
and you can pretty much get any color and even get embroidery.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys!!

I went by the local dealerand got a key, but the keyless entry was going to be $75 then $45 to install. I thought that was a little steep, and I figure i can get it cheaper on ebay, or online somewhere. I ended up getting a set of black goodyear floormats, at least for the time being. They fit well with the car, so I like them. But I am going to look up those aftermarket mats. (BTW Lampoon, I LOVE your interior!!)

I have to tell ya'll I am LOVING this car, I have never wanted to drive around so bad in my life. :D

Black car, Chrome wheels, red interior lights, a GT, the room inside, and satalite radio have all of my friends envious. They love it, Im the one driving us everywhere now. :)

· 2006 Black G6 GT
395 Posts
I have to tell ya'll I am LOVING this car, I have never wanted to drive around so bad in my life. :D

Black car, Chrome wheels, red interior lights, a GT, the room inside, and satalite radio have all of my friends envious. They love it, Im the one driving us everywhere now. :)
Now he's talking like a 6er.
Welcome and congrats on the buy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.