Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The factory Hankook Optimo H725A tires aren't good at all. I have the G6 base model, with the 3.5 V6 & 17" rims. These are the 2 types of tires are looking to get:

1- Continental ProContact, with EcoPlus Tech

2- Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring

These tires good!? Anyone have any other idea's for tire's!?

·
Wheel & Tire Guys
143 Posts
What are you looking for in a tire? Where do you live?

It may be easier for you to call one of our tire experts and have a conversation about what your needs are in a tire.

Let us know if we can be of assistance.

·
Wheel & Tire Guys
143 Posts
Thank you for the additional information. A few more questions for you.

How many miles are you typically driving per year? What were your likes and dislikes with the H725A? What do you want your next set of tires to do for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tires.

I travel around 10,000 miles a year or less. The Hankook tires are all around crap! I want a tire that's all in the lite or dark green, like on tireracks site. Good in wet, dry, snow & ice. Something that corners well to.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Look into the continental extremecontact DWS, or the General G-Max AS-03. Both tires are very nice all around tires. Another decent tire although it wears a tad bit quicker and you get some slight road noise is the Goodyear Eagle GT. I have experience with all 3 tires.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These are the 4 brand name of tires I like.

BFGoodrich Advantage T/A - Grand Touring All Season

General Altimax HP - Grand Touring All Season

Continental Pro Contact with EcoPlus Technology - Standard Touring All Season

Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring - All Season

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I got a set of kumho ecsta 4x to replace my awful OEM tires. For an Ultra High Performance all season tire I am very satisfied.

·
Wheel & Tire Guys
143 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I look for long life in a tire. The crappy OEM tires on my 08 G6 went an incredible 82,000 miles and were still in pretty good shape when I took them off. Frequent rotation seems to be the trick.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I look for long life in a tire. The crappy OEM tires on my 08 G6 went an incredible 82,000 miles and were still in pretty good shape when I took them off. Frequent rotation seems to be the trick.
Wow really?
My OEM firestone tires made it about 22,000 miles before they just didn't look safe.

I've done nearly 40,000 miles on my Kuhmo's and the tread still looks like new.
And that's with some track time and a lot of fun cornering :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Bridgestone potenza. I like them. 06 Gtp manual 6 speed

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm looking into some new tires as well. Have no clue where to start. I live in Kansas, so the weather is always changing. I'd like some sporty tires if that even makes sense. Lol.

Something clean, high quality, and sporty! :)

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Your best bet. Is to indentify what you want in a tire and what kind of driving you do. There's a lot to consider. Road noise, fuel economy, tread wear, wet vs dry performance, snow too if applicable.

Once you get a good idea as to what you need you can really find the right tire to suite your needs.

·
Registered
470 Posts
The factory Hankook Optimo H725A tires aren't good at all. I have the G6 base model, with the 3.5 V6 & 17" rims. These are the 2 types of tires are looking to get:

1- Continental ProContact, with EcoPlus Tech

2- Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring

These tires good!? Anyone have any other idea's for tire's!?
I haven't used Conti tires in years, after my OEM set wore out after 30K miles I wanted something that performed. As you don't drive more than 10K a year, don't buy a tire with a long tread life. If you don't like the tires come winter, your stuck with them for several years.

Continental seems to have put some thought into their new EcoPlus tires, but again, if you don't drive much, the cost savings per mile and overall traction and performance can be found in other tires. Ever since the Uniroyal plant in town here closed years ago and production went to Mexico, I won't buy their products. They do make some decent rubber.

I've had the best luck with michelin, general tire, and BF goodrich over the years. The BFG plant closed in town half a decade ago too, after the Uniroyal plant, but it was shut down due to global competition, most of their products are produced in the US. http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2006/02/02/goodrich-060202.html

Michelin is to date my number one choice. I always get the mileage they state, and the rubber seems to be better compounded for all season use, even in -25C weather they don't slide around like my previous GoodYear and Conti tires did in light snow. I've since picked up a set of General summer performance tires, and a set of Hankook winter tires and both are fantastic for their relative purpose. I too, only drive 10-12K a year.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tires

I want better traction then my junk OEM tires. I like the Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring Tires. 70,000-80,000 miles for a warranty on tires.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'm not sure how they would fare in the snow (if it matters to you) but for longevity these are worth a look too; BFG Advantage T/A: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=Advantage+T/A&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=25TR7ATA&fromCompare1=yes&vehicleSearch=false

Keep in mind that if a tire is rated at 70K miles, you might not see it. Manufacturers estimate the longevity of tires. Each tire line will go on multiple different vehicles of different weights. Someone who runs a loaded Mazda 6 sedan will wear through tires faster than a single driver with a G6. This is where I like BFG, I've always exceeded the mileage they state for their tires. I have Long Trail T/As on my Durango, They've been on for 62K miles (bought them 6 years ago) and they still have 6/32 tread. At this rate they'll last me another 20-25K miles. 25K+ miles over what they were rated at.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I got those yokohama yk580 or something like that through discount tire a few months ago and I couldn't be happier. I previously had michelin pilot sport a/s plus tires on and I didn't like them at all. These yoks have done very well so far this winter as well in the snow.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts