Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cd player doesnt work in my factory 2006 G6 radio. Im looking at replacing it with either a double din or a single din with a flip out screen and the metra kit for my DIC.

If I go with the double din, and do not use the metra kit, which "chimes" will I lose? Also, will I really lose anything important? Im not worried about the oil life, mpg, trip etc., but if something major happened would something show up on the gauge cluster? Like a low oil sensor, or a general check engine light?

And if I went with the single din and metra kit, how hard is the wiring? I know there are 2 plugs going into the radio, is one strictly for DIC that would plug into the metra kit, and would the other one be used to do the wiring for the radio?

Im leaning towards the double din without a metra kit. The metra kit seems to look pretty bad in the pictures I have seen of it, really cheap looking.

·
G6ADDICT
416 Posts
Yes your idiot lightts would still light up on the instrument cluster if that's your first question

And second there's one plug that plugs into the metra kit, then you have to buy a separate wiring harness that plugs into the other plug coming out of the car. Then on the opposide side of the wiring harness is a bunch of color coordinated open wires that you have to connect to your new head unit.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
And second there's one plug that plugs into the metra kit, then you have to buy a separate wiring harness that plugs into the other plug coming out of the car. Then on the opposide side of the wiring harness is a bunch of color coordinated open wires that you have to connect to your new head unit.
Actually, there are 2 plugs on the metra, one for each plug in the car. So if you go that route, all you need is the metra kit. It even comes with the antenna adapter, so you don't need to buy one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I went with the metra kit and I actually think it looks ALMOST stock. It was really easy to wire, and install just a few screws taken out and bam I was done. If you go through crutchfield they'll send a vehicle specific "master sheet" that goes step by step to remove the factory headunit

1 - 4 of 4 Posts