Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I just got myself a beautiful 09 g6 and I'm looking into getting a set of wheel spacers for it, it has the 17in 5 spoke wheels. Its also a sedan. What I'm wondering is, has anyone else done this with stock wheels? Also would adding the spacers require me to need a new alignment? Also if anyone happens to have a picture of their stock g6 with spacers could you please share? Thank you all so much!!:)

· Registered
143 Posts
I know I will get some blow back on this but I don't think spacers are a wise addition. IMO spacers add undue stress on suspension components they are not designed to handle . The G 6 , while a very fine car has it's flaws . In particular many G 6 owners have issues with front brakes. The car tends to warp rotors and burn through pads at a higher rate than most cars . Spacers will not help this issue . Spacers are also bearing killers which is a costly repair to have done . Good luck with your G 6 , just think it through.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know I will get some blow back on this but I don't think spacers are a wise addition. IMO spacers add undue stress on suspension components they are not designed to handle . The G 6 , while a very fine car has it's flaws . In particular many G 6 owners have issues with front brakes. The car tends to warp rotors and burn through pads at a higher rate than most cars . Spacers will not help this issue . Spacers are also bearing killers which is a costly repair to have done . Good luck with your G 6 , just think it through.
Thank you so much for your input! And honestly yeah if spacers would have negative effects on rotors, wheel bearings, and suspension, no thanks. I had an 06 malibu that warped rotors nonstop, and an 08 cobalt that warped rotors and always needs wheel bearings. Keep in mind both of those were stock never in accidents

· Registered
128 Posts
I'll chime in against wheel spacers. There are 2 kinds - hub-centric and wheel-centric. Hub-centric spacers are machined to fit into the raised lip on your wheel hubs, and the spacer also has a machined lip for the rim to line up into. Wheel-centric spacers are the cheap ones you find on eBay that are flat like a washer and use the lug studs to line up. The problem with the latter is you will never get a proper wheel balance because the spacer has movement.
As indy said they do add stress to the wheel bearings, but if the spacers are on the thin side (for a car vs a truck) that shouldn't be an issue.
That said, I have never had luck with spacers - find nice rims that fit :)

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll chime in against wheel spacers. There are 2 kinds - hub-centric and wheel-centric. Hub-centric spacers are machined to fit into the raised lip on your wheel hubs, and the spacer also has a machined lip for the rim to line up into. Wheel-centric spacers are the cheap ones you find on eBay that are flat like a washer and use the lug studs to line up. The problem with the latter is you will never get a proper wheel balance because the spacer has movement.
As indy said they do add stress to the wheel bearings, but if the spacers are on the thin side (for a car vs a truck) that shouldn't be an issue.
That said, I have never had luck with spacers - find nice rims that fit :)
Thank you so much for the input! Definitely straying away from spacers, if anything for now since I just got the car I'm gonna enjoy it for now until I wear out the tires (previous owners just put on), maybe ill look into rims

· Registered
10 Posts
Hey guys I just got myself a beautiful 09 g6 and I'm looking into getting a set of wheel spacers for it, it has the 17in 5 spoke wheels. Its also a sedan. What I'm wondering is, has anyone else done this with stock wheels? Also would adding the spacers require me to need a new alignment? Also if anyone happens to have a picture of their stock g6 with spacers could you please share? Thank you all so much!!:)
THIS IS WHAT THEY'LL LOOK LIKE. MINE IS ALSO AN 09. I'VE HAD THEM FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS NOW AND HAVEN'T HAD ANY PROBLEMS, WHICH MOST LIKELY PUTS ME IN THE MINORITY, BUT THEY ARE 1" ONES.

Attachments

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
THIS IS WHAT THEY'LL LOOK LIKE. MINE IS ALSO AN 09. I'VE HAD THEM FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS NOW AND HAVEN'T HAD ANY PROBLEMS, WHICH MOST LIKELY PUTS ME IN THE MINORITY, BUT THEY ARE 1" ONES.
Thank you so much for the reply and pictures!! Very nice to get input from multiple people especially one with first hand experience! Your car looks great btw!

· Registered
10 Posts
Thank you so much for the reply and pictures!! Very nice to get input from multiple people especially one with first hand experience! Your car looks great btw!
SORRY TO BLOW UP YOUR FEED BUT I LOVE SHOWING OFF MY BABY. ALSO, THINK ABOUT LED LIGHTS.

Attachments

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SORRY TO BLOW UP YOUR FEED BUT I LOVE SHOWING OFF MY BABY. ALSO, THINK ABOUT LED LIGHTS.
No your good man I love it! What speakers are you using for the doors and rear deck? I was thinking about getting myself a set of jbl gto components for up front and coaxes in the rear. Im probably gonna run stock headunit without an amp for the time being until I can afford something nice with Carplay.

Also, just bought interior leds they will be here tomorrow!

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No your good man I love it! What speakers are you using for the doors and rear deck? I was thinking about getting myself a set of jbl gto components for up front and coaxes in the rear. Im probably gonna run stock headunit without an amp for the time being until I can afford something nice with Carplay.

Also, just bought interior leds they will be here tomorrow!
Its just a real shame I still haven't been able to drive the car since I cant register it in NY currently with the dmvs being closed

· Registered
10 Posts
Its just a real shame I still haven't been able to drive the car since I cant register it in NY currently with the dmvs being closed
The door and rear deck has Rockford Fosgate T-2 6.5 components. The subs in the picture are Rockford T-2 12's. It now has Skar's in the rear. Fortunately for me it's a sponsored car or it wouldn't have any of this in it cause my wallet isn't deep enough for this either.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The door and rear deck has Rockford Fosgate T-2 6.5 components. The subs in the picture are Rockford T-2 12's. It now has Skar's in the rear. Fortunately for me it's a sponsored car or it wouldn't have any of this in it cause my wallet isn't deep enough for this either.
Oh very nice! How do you go about sponsors, YouTube?

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My son works for an audio shop and by hanging around there I got to know some of the factory reps and it just went from there.
Nice! Assuming you installed yourself would you mind me asking if installing new front components would require me to buy new speaker mounting brackets for a good mount or get some gasketing tape?

· Registered
10 Posts
I had them installed by my son through the shop he's at. I do know that for the front doors it was minimal changes for the mid-range since that is the size of the factory speaker. They did need to make adjustments for the tweeters, but that was minor as well. They installed on the pillar but had to be screwed to the outside of the factory housing for the tweeters. The rear deck has 6x9's but there is an adapter to put the 6.5 components back there as well. The smaller speaker set sounds better than the factory size. Much cleaner which amazed me.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had them installed by my son through the shop he's at. I do know that for the front doors it was minimal changes for the mid-range since that is the size of the factory speaker. They did need to make adjustments for the tweeters, but that was minor as well. They installed on the pillar but had to be screwed to the outside of the factory housing for the tweeters. The rear deck has 6x9's but there is an adapter to put the 6.5 components back there as well. The smaller speaker set sounds better than the factory size. Much cleaner which amazed me.
Very good to know I will need a few modifications, although an adapter to put 6.5s in the rear... did you still use 6.5 components or did you use coaxes since there aren't any rear tweeters?

· Registered
10 Posts
Components. That was the mid-range is used as a loud speaker and the high's don't get as muffled up.
With the way it's set up now I can have my subs off and still get down to about 47htz of lows. Couldn't get that with co-ax speakers. Are you anywhere near the Virginia area? If so we could meet up somewhere and you could take a look and listen to it to see how you may like to go with yours. My son could also possibly come and answer your questions.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Components. That was the mid-range is used as a loud speaker and the high's don't get as muffled up.
With the way it's set up now I can have my subs off and still get down to about 47htz of lows. Couldn't get that with co-ax speakers. Are you anywhere near the Virginia area? If so we could meet up somewhere and you could take a look and listen to it to see how you may like to go with yours. My son could also possibly come and answer your questions.
Unfortunately no although I'm really gonna have some research to do before putting together another stereo for this car. My last one I put together with amplified kicker coaxes in the front and rear of my Cobalt and 12in kicker sub sounded like absolute shit and had to keep speakers on high pass

· Registered
10 Posts
A couple of things to add to your research. If you go with 2 or more 12's you most likely won't have any trunk space left. If you want to save as much trunk space as possible then you'll need to do away with your spare tire (which is what I ended up doing, my amps, second battery and amp fans are in there). That's not ideal either because if you have a flat, well, you're screwed. Gas mileage has gone way down. On a good day around town I get 16-18mph and on the highway I get a whooping 22-24 at best. Handling goes down some but not to bad with the weight in the back. The acoustics inside these cars are amazing. Once you get it done you won't regret it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.