Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I'm thinking of installing a double DIN head unit, big screen, GPS navigation and whatnot, and I'm currently on the fence about whether or not I will miss my DIC at all. Yes, I do enjoy the gas mileage estimation, but I do tend to obsess over it, so I almost want to get rid of it. Trip odometer isn't the most important thing in the world, etc.

Problem is, I can marginalize these things all I want, but I want to hear from some people who have actually taken the plunge and gotten rid of their DIC altogether. Yes, I know there's a Metra kit, but frankly I have no idea where I'd install it, or if I even care enough to bother.

Is there any instance where my settings in my DIC would be lost and I'd be unable to retrieve/change them? I assume remote start would still work?

Thanks for any input you may have, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
447 Posts
You could get the gauge cluster with the dic built in and still keep it that way. Or you could get the metra kit and put it in your glove box or center console to keep it. Both ways would clear up space for a double din

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will the 09.5 cluster work in an 09, and actually display the DIC information? I am personally looking to avoid the metra kit if absolutely necessary, I don't want the hassle. I'm just curious if anyone has completely gone without, and if so, if they ever miss having it.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Yes. It has been done. You also need to get an 09.5 steering wheel. Or at least the buttons. Then you have to add a wire. I was also told you'll need bcm reflash to the 09.5 spec.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright, I went ahead and bought a stereo (JVC KW-NSX1), and was going to install it myself, but I'm wondering if I may be in over my head.

See, I neglected to mention that I have a Monsoon sound system. I hear it's a royal pain in the ass to install a new head unit into a system with a Monsoon amp. Could anybody explain the process, or at least confirm/deny my fears about the difficulty? I've done simple car stereo installs in the past, so it's not my first rodeo, but working on a '91 Ford Probe and a '00 Grand Am, neither of which had external amps, is hardly comparable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts