Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question is will this work? I have a 2007 g6 GT convertible. I want the wing that comes stock on the gxps but I'm wondering if this means I wouldn't be able to drop the top or honestly if it would even fit correctly?

·
Registered
39 Posts
What if you found a spoiler with the same weight as the stock led spoiler? I’ve been looking also. Everytime I look back there, it feels like something should be there.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Top won’t close with the spoiler on it.
I don't know that I necessarily agree. Since the trunk lid opens rearward, the folding roof doesn't interact with spoiler. It just has to clear the rear of the car when the trunk lid is open (rearward). One of the important criteria is that it be light so it doesn't burden the support struts when the trunk is opened (forward). I've tried a couple of different spoilers on my car but haven't mounted one permanently. In the pictures, I painted them so I'd get the best visualization of what they'd be like. One was from a '05 Chevy Impala, the other from a '99 Saturn. I can't bring myself to make holes in my car and I haven't settled on a way to mount them without doing that. - Mark

0815200953.jpg 0613201437.jpg 0615201439_HDR.jpg 0815201012.jpg

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't know that I necessarily agree. Since the trunk lid opens rearward, the folding roof doesn't interact with spoiler. It just has to clear the rear of the car when the trunk lid is open (rearward). One of the important criteria is that it be light so it doesn't burden the support struts when the trunk is opened (forward). I've tried a couple of different spoilers on my car but haven't mounted one permanently. In the pictures, I painted them so I'd get the best visualization of what they'd be like. One was from a '05 Chevy Impala, the other from a '99 Saturn. I can't bring myself to make holes in my car and I haven't settled on a way to mount them without doing that. - Mark

View attachment 18266 View attachment 18264 View attachment 18265 View attachment 18267
Did you try folding the top up with it on? From what I had read, spoilers interfere with that.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The one that Lampoon mentioned above is the Impala spoiler I first wrote up during the summer in this thread...
I like it too, but I never got it where I totally wanted it. I had to carve it up quite a bit to get it to fit and it still needed a little more development. If I was 30 years younger and had access to a 3D printer and CAD software, I'd have tried to come up with some supports for the corners that would fill in the gaps and hold it cleanly. There's a later design spoiler for the Impala body that might be promising too, but I'd to find one and it might be too late for me. If I do, I'll write it up. - Mark

·
Registered
228 Posts
That's an attractive spoiler, but it's pictured on a Chevy Cobalt which is a smaller car than the G6 with a narrower and flatter trunk lid. I'd be skeptical if they don't have any pictures of it mounted on the car it's intended for.

There are a couple of criteria that you need to keep in mind when considering a spoiler for the G6 convertible. First, if you're looking at a spoiler with legs, you need 40" between the legs (and an inch or two above) to clear the high-mount-stop-light-housing. If it clears the housing, there's only 1 inch on either side of the housing left for the leg to mount on the trunk lid before the sculpture on the lid slopes steeply away. These two things pretty much kill most aftermarket spoilers from the get-go. If you decide to get serious on an aftermarket spoiler, insist on seeing pictures of it mounted on a car like yours. Good luck. - Mark

·
Registered
228 Posts
You should have one. Here are a couple of pics. The first two show the LED high mount stop light bar on the trunk lid. All G6 convertibles got the same one and it's unique to the convertible. Some people think it's a spoiler, but it's really just a cleaver way to conceal the stop light. The third pic shows the light bar illuminated when the brake is depressed. (In this picture there's a larger spoiler sitting on top of the light bar that I ended up not mounting on the car, but you get the idea.)

stoplight bar.jpg cropped.jpg litup.jpg

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
I was at the local pick at part yesterday and there is one of the Saturn version there. I am not interested myself but i can pickup for someone else. I would need 150.00 usd up front ...!! Send me a conversation if you want It.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts