Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just bought a 2006 G6 gt and it was driving fine then suddenly lost all throttle what can cause that

·
Registered
120 Posts
3.5 motor? CEL illuminated? Engine quit or does it still idle?
Going to need a bit more info than what you offered to get a clue as to what's going on.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I realize that it's a holiday, but the best way to find out what's going on is to have the trouble codes read from the computer(that's why the CEL is on). Unfortunately unlike my fav cars (MOPAR) a code reader needs to be plugged into the DLC connector under the steering column to retrieve them(mopars have a way to get them without a reader).

·
Registered
236 Posts
The car is fly by wire, so the fuel pedal sensor sends signal to ecu, which tells the throttle actuatuor how far to open throttle. TPS reports back the actual opening to the ECU which then calculates the air fuel mixture.
The only manual checks are to make sure the fuel pedal and TPS are plugged in. After that, codes will tell the tale.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The car will drive but won't get over 50 and the rpms won't go over about 2000 it also has serious lag and I noticed on the stereo it said something about reduced engine power

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The car is fly by wire, so the fuel pedal sensor sends signal to ecu, which tells the throttle actuatuor how far to open throttle. TPS reports back the actual opening to the ECU which then calculates the air fuel mixture.
The only manual checks are to make sure the fuel pedal and TPS are plugged in. After that, codes will tell the tale.

So are you saying I need a fuel pedal sensor not a tps?

·
Registered
236 Posts
So are you saying I need a fuel pedal sensor not a tps?
I didn't say that at all. I merely discussed how things operate.
Could need:
Fuel pedal sensor
Throttle actuator
TPS
Replug one of these in
Wiring repair due to external damage
ECM
Sometimes else
-or-
Any combination of the above.

I don't know what it needs, I am a guy on the internet.
Pulling any codes can narrow down an issue, but they don't necessarily divulge what exactly to replace.
Checking for codes is a good second step after verifying the physical integrity of the components in the system.

Edit- I noticed one post says 'no throttle' will another says 'only 2000 rpm'. That's 2 different things I think you meant the latter.

add could be:
MAF
air intake system
*other

Time to pull codes to point in the right direction. No way to diagnose via symptoms only.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't say that at all. I merely discussed how things operate.
Could need:
Fuel pedal sensor
Throttle actuator
TPS
Replug one of these in
Wiring repair due to external damage
ECM
Sometimes else
-or-
Any combination of the above.

I don't know what it needs, I am a guy on the internet.
Pulling any codes can narrow down an issue, but they don't necessarily divulge what exactly to replace.
Checking for codes is a good second step after verifying the physical integrity of the components in the system.

Edit- I noticed one post says 'no throttle' will another says 'only 2000 rpm'. That's 2 different things I think you meant the latter.

add could be:
MAF
air intake system
*other

Time to pull codes to point in the right direction. No way to diagnose via symptoms only.

Yes my girlfriend was driving at first and told me what it did I just drove it and had it do like I said later

·
Registered
120 Posts
Todays computer managed cars make diagnosis by symptom almost impossible. Sounds like from postings that the cars computer has put the car into what is called "Limp Mode"(barest functionality to get you off the road). Could be a great number of things as posted and as posted COULD be a singular item or a combination...Getting the car scanned by an Autozone or such parts store (they do it for FREE) will go a long way to diagnosing and then effecting the needed repair to proper vehicle operation.

·
Registered
120 Posts
One possible item that you could visually check is the black air tube that connects to the motor and over to the air cleaner unit. It may have torn somewhere along it's length or come disconnected at one of the ends.This would cause a air flow reading problem that would "mess up" the computers management of motor function. Integrity of that intake air tube is critical for engine operation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I ended up replacing the whole throttle body now car runs great thanks for all the suggestions

·
Registered
120 Posts
So I ended up replacing the whole throttle body now car runs great thanks for all the suggestions
That's great to hear of your success in getting the problem fixed. Hope you have a long and happy time now with your G6...would be wise to buy at least a cheap code scanner for it. They can help you out greatly when problems do arise.:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I just bought a 2006 G6 gt and it was driving fine then suddenly lost all throttle what can cause that

I was in the same situation and I just put some contact past in the front conector, and all was fine, was the TC control turning on but was not the problem. Just cables contact. by the main front conector.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts