Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 G6 retractable hardtop with 114k miles. Is in great shape, but occasionally it has very loud clunks, seem to come from back seat or rear areas of the car when road is rough. It seems more apparent when the top is up, and pretty much goes away when the top is down. Has anybody had this problem or know of anyone who has? Any ideas? Thanks for your help/ideas.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm new around here, but I also have the retractable, and can confirm mine also does this. It's kind of the curse of the convertible. It's not as structurally sound as the others, and thus you will get loud noises when driving on poor roads (thanks Missouri...) but then again, mine is over 202k mileage, so it may be a high miles thing. I'm unsure if a more well-maintained vert would do the same or not.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If it's a cold weather thing, then I think it's normal with my experience over the past 13 years. For me, it usually gets much better during the warm weather months.

·
Registered
140 Posts
If it's a cold weather thing, then I think it's normal with my experience over the past 13 years. For me, it usually gets much better during the warm weather months.
I've only owned mine since last December of 2019, so I haven't had much opportunity for warm weather driving. But, that might very well be a good explanation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Come to think of it, the noise does seem to be temperature-related. I'll continue my research. Thanks a lot for the replies.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Not much to rattle back there, but here are some thoughts:
The main part of the wing settles into some V-shaped brackets at the lower edge of the glass with roof deployed. They have felt tape from the factory to reduce rattles.
The wings stow under the shelf as well, actually as part of the main panel, and they have an area that should have felt tape. There is also a screw at the bar wing hinge to provide some adjustment.
Other than that, there isn't anything else loose back there top related to rattle.

BUT, there is a rattle that you may think is in the trunk, but is actually in the roof.
When you open the roof, and when the roof is out and partially up, (do this with a helper and with car running, see a recent thread about wings for info) check out the fold between the roof panel and glass panel. There are 2 pins that lock these together when the roof is deployed. The pins should have a rubber chess piece looking snubber on them. These could be worn on one side or split, causing the metal pin to rattle. You could try to turn these 90* and also lube them. Mine sounded like a rabid woodpecker right around mid 30*? or so. Not sure if available new, they were kind of a b*tch to look up, but I can pull one from my trove to get the # if needed.
I hope that this helps.
In other news: remember to take the time to lube the cables! Both ends; if the cables break, the wings deploy and get crushed.
And check your wiring along the hinges, the wiring is thin and a snag is bad. If you see a wear mark, track it down!

That's all for now.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
140 Posts
That's all for now.

Amazing info, I'll be giving this a look later on for sure. Could you maybe send some pictures for these parts you're describing for those of us who are new to auto-maintenance and aren't entirely confident in identifying something?

·
Registered
301 Posts
C'mon, you can do this!
You don't need me, but let's see.
Open trunk, just below the glass edge you will see where the flap meets a hook one left, one right.
In my picture, I have duct tape as an insulator. The hook is around the 10 o'clock part of picture.
For the flaps, you will see them, give them a shake, look at the front edge as the are stowed, you will see the vee.
For the top pin insulator pieces, I found a picture in a previous post I did.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Amazing info, I'll be giving this a look later on for sure. Could you maybe send some pictures for these parts you're describing for those of us who are new to auto-maintenance and aren't entirely confident in identifying something?
One day in my free time, I need to write a post on 'everything you need to know about your convertible top'
I've addressed the rattle for today and the post would cover the care and feeding of the rest.
Not tonight though.
Please let me know how things turn out.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Please let me know how things turn out.
Currently the car is in the shop because of the coolant leak i had, so i'm getting that taken care of, but when i get it back, i'll take a look into it! Thanks so much for all the helpful advice you've been giving.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm new around here, but I also have the retractable, and can confirm mine also does this. It's kind of the curse of the convertible. It's not as structurally sound as the others, and thus you will get loud noises when driving on poor roads (thanks Missouri...) but then again, mine is over 202k mileage, so it may be a high miles thing. I'm unsure if a more well-maintained vert would do the same or not.
I'm a transplant to NE Missouri (from NH) and I know what you mean about the crappy MO roads, and like others posted, it's a cold weather thing.

·
Registered
2007 G6 GT Convertible (3.5L)
12 Posts
I have attached a TSB for you regarding the convertible top and sounds associated with it. I was able to use it to adjust my top properly. Mine doesn't creek, rattle, or make any sound for that matter. I do need to install new bushings every few years, but I expected that to be the case. The front pin bushings are discontinued, but you'd be surprised what you can find in your local ACE Hardware store. The rear bushings are still available (and have been updated from the OE design). Part number is 25898407.

Make sure you're careful when placing the top in the service position for long periods of time. It will eventually close or fall back. In order to keep this from occurring, cycle the top switch to engage the pump.

I also make sure to lubricate all of the rubber gaskets on the top every year. This keeps them soft and stops a lot of the squeaking.

Hope the attached TSB helps you.

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
That looks super helpful! Seeing as i'm hunting down coolant leaks and dealing with shaking suspension, I have some more pressing matters to throw my time into, but I will definitely make use of this when I have the time and willpower to dive into that. It seems pretty informed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That looks super helpful! Seeing as i'm hunting down coolant leaks and dealing with shaking suspension, I have some more pressing matters to throw my time into, but I will definitely make use of this when I have the time and willpower to dive into that. It seems pretty informed.
I have attached a TSB for you regarding the convertible top and sounds associated with it. I was able to use it to adjust my top properly. Mine doesn't creek, rattle, or make any sound for that matter. I do need to install new bushings every few years, but I expected that to be the case. The front pin bushings are discontinued, but you'd be surprised what you can find in your local ACE Hardware store. The rear bushings are still available (and have been updated from the OE design). Part number is 25898407.

Make sure you're careful when placing the top in the service position for long periods of time. It will eventually close or fall back. In order to keep this from occurring, cycle the top switch to engage the pump.

I also make sure to lubricate all of the rubber gaskets on the top every year. This keeps them soft and stops a lot of the squeaking.

Mike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts