Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son has a 2008 Pontiac G6 with the 3.5 L engine. When he decelerates, there is a loud whirring sound coming from the engine area...almost like something is spinning loudly and is taking longer to slow down than the car. It's hard to describe. It is not a grinding, whistling, or screeching sound. It is not greatly noticeable upon accelerating.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Could be the alternator. Could be the water pump. Could be the A/C compressor clutch. Can you duplicate the problem with the car standing still and the hood up ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At idle and in park it does not make the noise, not does it when revving the engine. Driving down the street or highway it increases in sound. Turning corners decreases the sound slightly.
Could it be something with a wheel hub or bearing?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would say alternator. Stop by an auto store and have them check it . It's free and that will either eliminate one possible cause or verify if it's the alternator .

·
Registered
92 Posts
While driving slowly, shift into neutural if the noise continues the problem has nothing to do with the engine or things that the engine spins.

·
Registered
06 G6 GT
14 Posts
My son has a 2008 Pontiac G6 with the 3.5 L engine. When he decelerates, there is a loud whirring sound coming from the engine area...almost like something is spinning loudly and is taking longer to slow down than the car. It's hard to describe. It is not a grinding, whistling, or screeching sound. It is not greatly noticeable upon accelerating.
Any ideas?

It is the alternator! Just had the same damn thing happen to my 06 V6!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts