Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had to replace my lowbeam connectors a few times. The original one was completely destroyed. The second one also worked intermittently and melted. I am on my third connector. I am afraid one of these days my car will catch fire. As I have no garage it is very annoying to continually have to replace these parts, especially in the winter in the dark.
I also keep losing coolant. Have replaced the reservoir. Can not find a leak anywhere else.

·
Old far...er...tinkerer..
303 Posts
I have had to replace my lowbeam connectors a few times. The original one was completely destroyed. The second one also worked intermittently and melted. I am on my third connector. I am afraid one of these days my car will catch fire. As I have no garage it is very annoying to continually have to replace these parts, especially in the winter in the dark.
Are you running aftermarket bulbs in them? They can run much hotter resulting in more rapid wear of the connectors. If you look around, you can find high-temp rated connectors/sockets, for a few bucks more, which might give you longer service life.

That said, I couldn't find any during a quick look, but I know I've seen them. I'll keep looking and post back later.

Doug

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
They have ceramic sockets to handle the heat.

The connectors for the whole light harness is a common failure point. Corrosion builds and adds resistance and creates heat.
I stuffed my connectors with dielectric grease and never had an issue. I also park outside.
I would suggest replacing the connectors with weatherpac connectors or use ceramic sockets and apply that dielectric grease liberally.

As for the coolant. No leaks but the level goes down, does your oil look milky at all?

·
Old far...er...tinkerer..
303 Posts
I also keep losing coolant. Have replaced the reservoir. Can not find a leak anywhere else.
There are two common coolant leaks I've seen on these cars (on the 3.5L LZ4). One is the crossover pipe on the passenger end of the motor. It provides the coolant conduit between the two heads, and the gaskets at each end are well known for wearing out and leaking. I've swapped them out on ours, and it wasn't too bad of Saturday project.

The other leak spot I've had, along with one other poster here, is at the T in the coolant hoses below the coolant reservoir.

HTH.

Doug

·
2007 G6 GT conv
21 Posts
They have ceramic sockets to handle the heat.

The connectors for the whole light harness is a common failure point. Corrosion builds and adds resistance and creates heat.
I stuffed my connectors with dielectric grease and never had an issue. I also park outside.
I would suggest replacing the connectors with weatherpac connectors or use ceramic sockets and apply that dielectric grease liberally.

As for the coolant. No leaks but the level goes down, does your oil look milky at all?
I used the ceramic replacement connectors and they worked very well. Eventually converted to LED bulbs, so didn't need them but left in place.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts