Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while ago I decided that a Tech II would be handy, but the hand held unit was way over what I was prepared to pay. With a little research I found it was possible to connect an GM MDI unit to an existing laptop and use Tech II Win. I purchased the GM MDI clone from Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com (there are other sellers on ebay and elsewhere so please do your own research. I got the first generation rounder looking unit.). With an older laptop, vmware player and some searching I was able to find the software online. Some sellers offer a HDD at extra cost. So far I have used it to reprogram my remote fobs, run an ABS purge and diagnose an ABS issue. Nothing earth shattering but everything worked. Thought I would share

·
Registered
55 Posts
Outstanding ! Boomer can I rent it lol
Here's a topic you might spread light on, yes by the way the new engine is amazing!
My lock buttons on the doors.. do not activate my locks... my fob works fine, when shifting into gear, th wy lock down and stay until shift into park... you think like I am and wondering if it's a programming issue to the RLM remote lock module? Thanks

·
Registered
219 Posts
Boomer uses ingenuity and skill to economically solve his issues and I much admire his input on this forum. My skill set is more modest. When I bought my G6 last year I planned to keep it as my last "toy" car and tried to economically obtain as many special tools as I could. I searched for a Tech II clone or compatible scanner and ultimately bought one of these:

Before buying it, I queried the vendor about compatibility with proprietary GM (Pontiac) systems (specifically the convertible top) and ultimately decided to give it a try. I've been very pleased with it and it was much more affordable for me than a Tech II. This in conjunction with a service manual on DVD have been invaluable.

When shopping for a Tech II compatible scanner, be sure to choose carefully. There are many models out there and in the case of this one, there are several models by the same manufacturer that are less applicable to the G6 than this one. Ask the seller questions and review their return policy in case the one you get isn't satisfactory.

Good luck. - Mark

1 - 3 of 3 Posts