Pontiac G6 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The lowbeam headlights recently started staying on when I switch the highbeam headlights on. I know they used to turn off when you switched to the highbeam, as do a lot of GM vehicles and other Pontiac's I've owned. The DRL's are working when they should and the headlights come on and go off automatically using the ambient light sensor. I have noticed though that the lights do not want to turn off if you are driving on a cloudy morning. They will turn off if you are in sunlight, but that doesn't seem to be how they used to operate.
I'm wondering if the body control module could be the problem, since it is controlling the headlight relays.

Thanks

· Da.v3
597 Posts
mine stay on as well. and im pretty sure its normal.

some cars lows stay on with highs, others dont. if your 100% that they didnt used to...id say its likely something small thats causing it....an option on the light switch thingy or maybe a fuse or something

· Registered
1,420 Posts
it is normal. the lows are supposed to stay on with the highs. also the drl use the lowbeam bulb, so going from drl to the lighting at night is still the same bulb, just has reduced power when the drl are on. the parking lights however use the high beam bulb

· Registered
5 Posts
The lowbeam headlights recently started staying on when I switch the highbeam headlights on. I know they used to turn off when you switched to the highbeam, as do a lot of GM vehicles and other Pontiac's I've owned. The DRL's are working when they should and the headlights come on and go off automatically using the ambient light sensor. I have noticed though that the lights do not want to turn off if you are driving on a cloudy morning. They will turn off if you are in sunlight, but that doesn't seem to be how they used to operate.
I'm wondering if the body control module could be the problem, since it is controlling the headlight relays.

Thanks
We have the same problem with our g6. Hubby is positive low beams went out on high. He replaced the lights hoping to get better lighting at night. Now all 4 are on when on high beam. Only one poster who replied to your question offered a solution. Although, "an option on the light switch thingy or maybe a fuse or something" was not really helpful. All the other answers pretty much ignored your question and convinced you your beginning assumption was wrong. Did you keep looking and find a solution? As I said, we have the same problem too.

· Registered
274 Posts
Sorry to offend. Are you now convinced that when in the high beam mode, all four headlight bulbs are wired to be lit ? None of the 4 headlight bulbs are of the DUAL FILAMENT type so when switching from HIGH beam mode to LOW beam mode, the system simply turns off the HIGH beam bulbs. Hope this makes sense. Gee, I wonder why I cancelled Facebook ?

· Registered
5 Posts
Sorry to offend. Are you now convinced that when in the high beam mode, all four headlight bulbs are wired to be lit ? None of the 4 headlight bulbs are of the DUAL FILAMENT type so when switching from HIGH beam mode to LOW beam mode, the system simply turns off the HIGH beam bulbs. Hope this makes sense. Gee, I wonder why I cancelled Facebook ?
Just couldn`t resist that snide little comment at the end, could you? I enjoy a spirited, witty discussion with a well armed opponent any day. I`m going to go find one. Merry Christmas

· Registered
274 Posts
Hahaha.. I'm 85 years old so my advanced age allows me to say what ever pops into my cobweb filled mind. However the cosmic question remains....are you concinced yet that the low beams being on with the high beams is normal ? Merry Christmas and happy New Year

· Registered
5 Posts
Advanced age, huh? I`d say more like a grumpy old fart. As for the cosmic question, I got the answer the same day I posted. I went to Just Answer and signed up for the trial to get a mechanic to answer me. Since then, I just couldn`t resist sparring with you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.