Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I just picked up a magnetic oil drain plug for my 08 G6 and figured to post the info. I purchased it from O'Reilly's auto parts for 6.75 or so.

It is a Motormite 65372
M12 - 1.75
Bar code number on the back 037495 653725

Hope this helps!
Dave

:D

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
Hey everyone,
I just picked up a magnetic oil drain plug for my 08 G6 and figured to post the info. I purchased it from O'Reilly's auto parts for 6.75 or so.

It is a Motormite 65372
M12 - 1.75
Bar code number on the back 037495 653725

Hope this helps!
Dave

:D
Has anyone changed their oil with one of these installed yet? I would like to know what kind of debris is caught.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just changed my oil on my minivan that has the same plug in it. It is just a metallic sludge that is thinly covering the magnetic tip. I thought the filter would/should catch this stuff, but I guess not. I would think, any time you can remove these particles from your oil, would be a positive thing. Next time I change it I will post a pic.
D

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
I just changed my oil on my minivan that has the same plug in it. It is just a metallic sludge that is thinly covering the magnetic tip. I thought the filter would/should catch this stuff, but I guess not. I would think, any time you can remove these particles from your oil, would be a positive thing. Next time I change it I will post a pic.
D
I wonder, if this is truly a step in cleaning your oil why don't our cars come equipped with these little items :rolleyes: ? Just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I wonder, if this is truly a step in cleaning your oil why don't our cars come equipped with these little items :rolleyes: ? Just thinking out loud.
It's the same reason that we have to replace other stuff with better stuff. Cars that come from the factory are built as cheap as possible, and as fast as possible. If the consumer doesn't know about something that is better, GM will not use the better product. Over time it will cost more money to build the car, and it's just a form of cost cutting.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Your right. Even if the plug cost 1.00 more per car, GM builds millions of cars...look at how much they saved (and gave it to the CEO so he can live like a rich pig) on the hides of the GM buyers

·
Slick Black Pontiac
151 Posts
From past experience I know that most oil pans have a flat magnet in the bottom to catch any metallic debris in the oil. I also got a drain plug with one because I like to be able to get some of it out of the engine, but the bigger one in the oil pan should catch and hold a lot of it keeping it out of the moving parts of the engine.

·
Professional geek
433 Posts
Those magnetic plugs are good for a false sense of security. Sure, they will capture any ferrous iron particles in your oil that happen to get close enough to be drawn in (little chance of that on a running engine) but the vast majority of particles found in a modern engine are non-magnetic. Is it a waste of money? Well, it does do basically what it says, unlike for example the magnets that go on your fuel line that are supposed to give you a 200,000 MPG boost. Is it worth buying one? I suppose if you have to replace the plug anyway because the old one is stripped or something. The reality is that the next place the oil goes as it is drawn out of the sump is to the oil filter, so unless you have a defective filter or just never bother to change it, the particles will get trapped there - including the ones the magnet won't catch.

~ MattInSoCal

1 - 13 of 13 Posts