Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! Glad to see this community has stayed strong over the years. I find lots of good info here.

I'm curious if anyone can provide some ideas for what sort of maintenance I might need to do on my car? I ask because the old girl is about to hit 200,000KMs. I bought her with only 60,000 and haven't really done much to her since. Regular oil changes, one transmission flush and fill, couple brake changes, and a radiator replacement from a bad towing accident.

I was thinking it is due for another transmission fluid change. Also, I have been planning to change the spark plugs since I think the ones in it are still the factory ones from day one. I have picked up some Bosch Platinum 4+'s but I'm not totally sure if they are good for the G6's or not (You aren't supposed to gap them)?! I read on here that it would be wise to change the ignition wires at the same time so want to pick up a matching Bosch set online. Wondering what else I might want to order at the same time?

RockAuto offers a Power Steering Fluid filter but I couldn't find evidence that the car even has/needs one?

Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hows the struts holding up? Strut bearings? Sway bar bushings maybe? Or new end links, might as well get stronger adjustable ones... that's all off the top of my head, suspension gets loose over time

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had thought about struts. Is there some definitive way of determining when they are due for replacement? The suspension doesn't seem bad, but that might be because it wears slowly and you just stay used to it. I might be able to tell if I drove a G6 with fresh replacements to compare to mine, but don't know anyone else with one.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I would change the plugs and just get the transmission serviced. With 200K kms I wouldn't take a chance at a flush. Small dirt particles can get lodged into the valve body and give you grief. The only way to remedy is to remove and replace...not fun.

If the back shocks are gone, then the front struts are knowingly just as bad. Push down on a corner of the car at the back. If it rebounds quickly and settles down immediately then the shocks are fine. If it continues to bounce then get the shocks/struts replaced.

It won't hurt to get a front alignment done either. A good shop will tell you about any play in ball joints, and other components, so you can plan ahead a bit in terms of repairs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts