Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im doin some research in brands for an exhaust... and im very confused on the topic...which is better?
mangaflow
flomaster
spintech
apexi
borla (i think thats how you spell it)

also do the offsets have anything to do with sound?
a glasspack is a resonator correct? which means it will quiet down the noise? and the stock size piping is 2.5" would it be bad to go to 3"?

if i were to purchase a muffler and tips, how would this be used and would i need it/ my friend said this would improve sound

if i were to get an exhaust, it would most likely be a single out, unless i get a phenomenal deal on a rear valance, or an accident occurs

i know this is long and thank for the answers...hell maybe this will be a great read for future members?

·
Registered
14 Posts
there's never a "correct" answer to which is better. It all comes down to which sound each produces that you like the best.

If there is any performance increase, it is rarely noticeable from just adding an exhaust.

·
4,052 Posts
It definitely about preference. As far as going to wider pipe or even to a dual, I've heard of people actually loosing low end torque due to loss of back pressure needed for our vehicle.
Nice to see your doing your research.

·
Like a G6
66 Posts
im doin some research in brands for an exhaust... and im very confused on the topic...which is better?

mangaflow
flomaster
spintech
apexi
borla (i think thats how you spell it)
It's all about personal preference. Go on youtube, find your car (or engine) with different exhaust set ups.

also do the offsets have anything to do with sound?
a glasspack is a resonator correct? which means it will quiet down the noise? and the stock size piping is 2.5" would it be bad to go to 3"?
I don't think the offset have an effect on sound. Yes, a resonator reduces the sound and I think the stock piping is 2.25, not 2.5. I think 3" is too big and you would see reduced performance.

if i were to purchase a muffler and tips, how would this be used and would i need it/ my friend said this would improve sound
I don't know about the closed off pipe but your exhaust is going to be welded, not bolted so you wont need gaskets.

if i were to get an exhaust, it would most likely be a single out, unless i get a phenomenal deal on a rear valance, or an accident occurs.
Yeah dual exhausts are cool but I didn't want to spend the money on a new valence, two tips, etc and my engine (2.4L) isn't a high flow engine so there's no need.

i know this is long and thank for the answers...hell maybe this will be a great read for future members?
As the guy above me said, research is always good, especially this big of a modification.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
That picture you posted is an exhaust cutout. Its used so that you can unbolt the cover and have straight pipes. Or you can leave it on and have the exhaust flow through your system. It doesn't improve the sound unless you like the sound of straight piped V6.

A glasspack is not a resonator. Its just a type of muffler. People just use them quiet the system down a bit and remove rasp. All you are doing is adding a second muffler.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts