Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as skeptical as I am, the GTP coupe is still #1 on my list for what car to buy come May this year. However, I'm not sure whether to purchase a manual or auto. I've only driven a manual for about a total of 45 minutes in my life, so I basically have 0 experience with them. On one hand, I really want the manual because of the 6 speeds versus the auto's 4, and since I'm a spirited driver, it should be more fun. However, I have some worries about the manual:

1) Will stop and go traffic (which I encounter fairly often) be a huge pain with a manual?

2) Will my inexperience cause me to ruin a brand new car?

3) Will the manual be difficult in the snow/ice/hills?

4) It doesn't sound like the G6's 6 speed is the slickest gearbox around, is it really that bad?


On the flipside, if I were to go with the auto, will I take much of a performance hit?


Any advice you can give me would be helpful in making a decision. Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
I have a few things in common with you.
This was my first manual car, and slowly but surly I’m getting smother and smother.

I also drive in stop and go traffic, witch was annoying at first but now I don’t even notice it.

My tranny has the gear grinding and stiffness which it’s now been to the dealer 3 times for this last time they said there is nothing they can do since they've already replaced the tranny. I don’t buy that and now I’m just going to sit back and wait for the TSB because this isn’t simply "normal ware"

But even with these issues I still stand by my decision over the auto.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
1. Not once you get used to it, had one when I lived in Florida

2. Not unless your really REALLY bad... give it about 4 days and you'll gradually get better from there.

3. Snow and Ice not really since you have all summer to get used to it and by winter shouldnt be a issue. Hills, well those are always tricky untill you get used to it, once you learn to feather the clutch the right way and use the right amount of gas it's possible to never have tire spin.

4. I've heard some complaints but also heard alot of people having it fixed quickly from the dealership. So even if you have a problem they should be able to fix it up for you!

Stick wasnt out when I got mine and didnt want to wait, or else theres no way I would take auto over stick, I'm a spirited drive to. One you get acustom to the stick theres no better feelings then hitting the highway and running thru the gears!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
1. I am having no problems with stop and go traffic now. The first few days you may have problems with stalling, but anyone who drives stick will not be mad at you for inexperience.

2.
SimplyRed said:
2. Not unless your really REALLY bad... give it about 4 days and you'll gradually get better from there.
It is possible to cause MAJOR damage to the car with a stickshift. I bent three valves through overconfidence and inexperience. Lost the car for about ~30 days while they waited for parts to come in to repair it.

3. Ice/Snow, I couldn't tell you. I live in the Great White North, but I haven't seen any significant snow AT ALL this year. I imagine that the car will be better on Ice/Snow than an automatic, as you can control the amount of torque getting to the wheels by upshifting/starting in second gear.

Hills won't be that difficult once you get some practice. My fiance has been driving stick for years and has always used the e-brake to start on steep hills. She took my car out last weekend and was amazed that it didn't roll a lot on the hills before she could feather the clutch/gas enough to move. No e-brake needed.

4. The transmission does have some common problems that have been listed in detail on this board. I have not experienced what others have, but I have had my own unique problems with the shifter. Sometimes I have a hard time going into fourth. Only on days that are below 0 celcius. I have occasionally grinded when going into sixth. This is with the clutch fully engaged. All GTP's produced after Jan 1, 2006 have some adjustments made to the tranny which are supposed to address the issues that have been brought up on this board.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
I own a 6 speed. I have an issue with the grinding in 2nd and 3rd gears, but I will meet a GM District manager on feb. 7 and I expect to have the transmission changed if they cannot find an other solution. I suggest that when you test drive the car, make shure that the shifter if very smooth, if not: Don't accept a " We will adjust the car before delivery " reply, get yourself in an other car and make sure it's OK at the test drive. If no car goes OK, then buy an automatic.

As for snow, I live in Montreal Canada, and snow we get. There are NO winter tires available yet. Should be on the market next year. Otherwise, if you play around by starting on 2nd gear when it's very slippy, it will go well. You can disconnect (as you are slipping) the electronic traction control till you have the car in movement, and press the button again to activate it while driving. This will get you rolling and then the system is very effective and does help you in your driving. Afterwards, all the electronics will help prevent any sliding. I have made some tests in a large parking area, and the electronic controls are just great.

AS FOR THE REST THE CAR IS ok, and it's a great head turning look. A lot of people ask me " What is that car ????"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
vette79 said:
I own a 6 speed. I have an issue with the grinding in 2nd and 3rd gears, but I will meet a GM District manager on feb. 7 and I expect to have the transmission changed if they cannot find an other solution. I suggest that when you test drive the car, make shure that the shifter if very smooth, if not: Don't accept a " We will adjust the car before delivery " reply, get yourself in an other car and make sure it's OK at the test drive. If no car goes OK, then buy an automatic.

As for snow, I live in Montreal Canada, and snow we get. There are NO winter tires available yet. Should be on the market next year. Otherwise, if you play around by starting on 2nd gear when it's very slippy, it will go well. You can disconnect (as you are slipping) the electronic traction control till you have the car in movement, and press the button again to activate it while driving. This will get you rolling and then the system is very effective and does help you in your driving. Afterwards, all the electronics will help prevent any sliding. I have made some tests in a large parking area, and the electronic controls are just great.

AS FOR THE REST THE CAR IS ok, and it's a great head turning look. A lot of people ask me " What is that car ????"
Please let me know how this goes. my dealer has pretty much given up on me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
jp375 said:
So as skeptical as I am, the GTP coupe is still #1 on my list for what car to buy come May this year. However, I'm not sure whether to purchase a manual or auto. I've only driven a manual for about a total of 45 minutes in my life, so I basically have 0 experience with them. On one hand, I really want the manual because of the 6 speeds versus the auto's 4, and since I'm a spirited driver, it should be more fun. However, I have some worries about the manual:

1) Will stop and go traffic (which I encounter fairly often) be a huge pain with a manual?

2) Will my inexperience cause me to ruin a brand new car?

3) Will the manual be difficult in the snow/ice/hills?

4) It doesn't sound like the G6's 6 speed is the slickest gearbox around, is it really that bad?


On the flipside, if I were to go with the auto, will I take much of a performance hit?


Any advice you can give me would be helpful in making a decision. Thanks!
1) i drive stop and go traffic daily. my last car was a 5spd. shifting becomes second nature eventually.

2) crawl before you walk, walk before you run. go to a diriving school if you can afford/find one. try local road race clubs, they'll know where to start.

3) manual can be beneficial in bad conditions as you know what's coming, so you can be in a gear more suited. nothing is substitue for carefull driving.

4) the F40 is a solid tranny. new applications are bound to have bugs. i personally loved the F35 in my last car. might not be the best, but they are far from the worst. a SAAB sourced tranny...

5) auto won't KILL your performance, but you'll never be one with the car as it'll shift when it thinks is best. though modern technology allows adaptation to driving habits, i'm not 100% sure how the G6 GTP reacts/adjusts to driving style.

if you want the most fun/enriching experience, get the 6spd.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Blackrider said:
Please let me know how this goes. my dealer has pretty much given up on me.
I read through the thread. Wow. Granted your case may not be the norm, but it is still concerning. I really want to go for the 6 speed, but I've yet to read a single good thing about this transmission. I've read every review in existence for the GTP and it is often complained about. The overall feeling from the G6 community isn't all that positive either. Someone please give me some good reasons to order a 6 speed. Or better yet, a good reason not to buy an Accord V6 Coupe with a slick smooth 6 and engine that is a work of art, all for only slightly more than a G6.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
I'm part of those that has been and will remain a American Made car buyer. So I'm giving the chance to G6's to set it's reputation in the market. I mignt have some problems with the tranny. Since it's a first edition, I had to take the gamble. The problem will correct itself and I will be part of the solution, and not transfering American and Canadian jobs to Asia...

In 1979 I bought a '79 Corvette (L-82, 4 speed M-21, Bright Yellow / Black interior) and I kept it until 2005. At that time Corvettes where not the best made cars in the market, but look at 2006 Z06 today. I'm part of the Corvette history and problems that I had with the car 26 years ago help improve the mark as we know it today. Today I'm too old to see the result 25 years from now, but I hope GM will still be the 1st car manufacturor.

This is for me a good reason to stay American Made Car Buyer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
look into the SAAB forums regarding the transmission from the 9-3 (6 spd.), and you'll see if they have the same issues. i'd think it is an early production issue with them in the GTP, but you never know. i know people are seeking them out for the Ion Red Line and Cobalt SSs/c (F40, 6spd. in the GTP).

one question to ask is how long have the 6spd. GTPs been in production? that could be enough to judge if the issue could have been resolved.

one thing i would do is NOT buy one that's been on the lot, and order one from the factory. any issues that have been resolved by now will have been incorporated into the new builds. don't expect a TSB from GM if they can avoid it (i.e., isolated issues that have been resolved and are currently incorporated into newer builds).

a good reason to NOT get an accord v6 coupe would be that everyone and their brothers have one (their mothers too), and you see them all over the road. styling is another issue, though it is subjective to personal preference.

given that this tranny is NOT new, it is HIGHLY likely that newer builds won't have any issues. you never hear about the good things, which is a positive.

also, one thing i'd like to note about winter driving is that your #1 concern is going to be the tires. you might be inclined to get a winter set next year if they haven't been faring others well this year, but that can be a good thing if you're a spirited driver. why subject your nice summer tires to the harshness of winter (salt, etc.), only to push them to their limits during the summer. i know if possible, i try not to.

the only real way to be sure of what you want is to find a local car with a recent build and test drive it. there can certainly be major differences from the early builds, even with such a short run so far...

my vote, get the GTP with 6spd. order it from the factory, and you'll get exactly what you want with the knowledge that other's problems can very well be the reason why you'll enjoy the car so much. again, only you can truly decide.

BTW - i drive a 2.4 G6 sedan now, and am totally happy with it so far. don't be suprised if the 3900 is underrated and has more power than the accord v6, just take your time to get used to bringing it out of the hole...
 

·
Designed For Action
Joined
·
509 Posts
If you want a 6 speed, just make sure the the car's build date is Jan. 2006 or later. These vehicles will feature a close-ratio 6 speed manual which will have a more positive feel and a smoother shift action.

I have a GTP with a 6 speed manual and I don't have any problems. The shifter was a little stiff at first, but loosened up in about 2 weeks of driving. I can reach every gear without difficulty. My shifter is a little notchy, but the gates are well-defined and the shifter action is relatively smooth. I am very happy with my 6 MT. :)
 

·
Designed For Action
Joined
·
509 Posts
Vita said:
lBTW - i drive a 2.4 G6 sedan now, and am totally happy with it so far. don't be suprised if the 3900 is underrated and has more power than the accord v6, just take your time to get used to bringing it out of the hole...
This is very true. It is very easy to spin those tires.I believe the 3900 is pushing at least 250 hp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SCGA1 said:
If you want a 6 speed, just make sure the the car's build date is Jan. 2006 or later. These vehicles will feature a close-ratio 6 speed manual which will have a more positive feel and a smoother shift action.
Where did you hear this? I've heard nothing about a gearing change. I'm very curious.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
For more infos on the 6 speed situation, take a look at my thread 6 speed manual transmission problems in this site in the trouble forum.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
vette79 said:
For more infos on the 6 speed situation, take a look at my thread 6 speed manual transmission problems in this site in the trouble forum.
I did. It doesn't mention and updated transmission coming out anytime soon. Or were you not referring to that...?
 

·
Designed For Action
Joined
·
509 Posts
jp375 said:
Where did you hear this? I've heard nothing about a gearing change. I'm very curious.
The gearing is not being changed, but the shifter is. I heard this from a source at GM who works closely with the G6.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
As for my update, I am scheduled to meet GM's District Service Manager (DSM) on tuesday feb. 7. From there I will have some news. As for the shifter itself, I don't think that the STICK is the problem. When I'm at a stop, when I play around all gears in any order the feling is normal. But as soon as the car is in movement, than the grinding (or friction) on 2nd and 3rd gears comes back. They changed the cable (linkage) assembly and one cable was jammed. The cables are somewhere like brake cables on a bike. One of them was jammed and it was worst when very cold. This issue is now settled but the grinding is an other one. If you want to know what the feeling is, just magine that you want to shift to reverse from neutral. Most of the time you get a feeling that there are some moving parts that are not synchonised and it takes more than 1 second to feel that they synchronise them selfves. Well that is the feeling I get on every shift to 2nd and 3rd, even when downshifting.
So to my experience the stick is not the problem, I'll have to wait for the DSM decision.
 

·
Designed For Action
Joined
·
509 Posts
jp375 said:
So you were implying perhaps there would be shorter throws with this new shifter?
Yes, slightly shorter throws and a better feel.
 
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Top