Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay this may have been answered several times before, but i couldnt find it..

In my GXP i notice that when i shift up ex. from first to second it seems to go a few seconds longer in that gear and then shifts..meaning it does not shift immediately on command.. will a WAMS tune help fix that?

Also wil the tune help fix the rev limiter?

·
Fried like a Cheese Stick
1,035 Posts
I think it's a GXP (or 6-speed) issue because a few others have complained of it and I've noticed that they've all been GXP'ers. Mine shifts very quickly through its humble 4 gears

·
beeeeeeefy
883 Posts
I think it's a GXP (or 6-speed) issue because a few others have complained of it and I've noticed that they've all been GXP'ers. Mine shifts very quickly through its humble 4 gears
that could be it, i was just saying that with my 4 gears, if im not paying attention and dont go to the rpms high enough it wont shift until its ready

·
1,035 Posts
Sorry missed the rev limiter question the first time - I'm pretty sure the WAMS tune would raise it a couple hundred rpm; hopefully Chris can come in to confirm or deny.

Also FWIW the only time I ever had a delay in shifting was with my 05 Grand Prix Comp G when going from 3rd to 4th - it would be a noticeable 2-3 second delay before it finally decided to go into 4th. Other than that all my Pontiac manumatics have been pretty smooth :)

Here's an idea of how fast mine shifts - it was a vain attempt to show off the awesomeness of the GT-R exhaust that gives a decent idea, amongst all the wind noise :-\ Plus my phone video apparently only records "landscape" style so it's sideways. But at about :13 you can see the shadow of my hand reach down to shift from 1st to 2nd, and note that the gear changes pretty much instantaneously. I also just now noticed a little *click* when the gear shifted which I guess the camera was close enough to pick up but I don't hear on a normal basis.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, it is a GXP (6 Speed manual) I'll try to post a video of what I am talking about to better give you an example..

When im around 5500 rpm and i shift it still continues to rise up into 6000 which is when the limiter kicks in and bogs out.. If it shifted on command instantly then it wouldnt be a problem..

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay thanks guy.. i'll try lookin around on google to see if theres a fix for it.

·
1,035 Posts
Only got one chance on the way home - shifted right when it hit 5500 and it immediately dropped :D

Will see if I get any more opportunities tonight (I should since there should be less traffic).

Also if I had one a dem GoPro thingies I could strap it to my head & point it looking at the tach - not gonna hold my phone and shift @ 5500 :eek:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah i'll record a video sometime soon and show you guys what im talking about. Probably just some bs that the comes with the perks of having a gxp :(

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yeah, it is a GXP (6 Speed manual) I'll try to post a video of what I am talking about to better give you an example..

When im around 5500 rpm and i shift it still continues to rise up into 6000 which is when the limiter kicks in and bogs out.. If it shifted on command instantly then it wouldnt be a problem..
A little confused... when you say "6 Speed manual" do you mean you have a stick shift or are you talking about "tap shift mode"?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A little confused... when you say "6 Speed manual" do you mean you have a stick shift or are you talking about "tap shift mode"?
Haha sorry i meant tap shift.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Haha sorry i meant tap shift.
Question:

When driving in D and flooring it, does the car shift firm or can you feel the car losing momentum?

If it feels firm, then your tap shift issue sounds normal from what other 6 speed guys complain about too. If it feels like you lose some momentum between shifts, then I'd have your trans looked at from everything to line blockage to pressure sensors to even the clutch packs for the slippage.

As for the tune Chris said that the WAMS tune will help some, but not be a cure.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Question:

When driving in D and flooring it, does the car shift firm or can you feel the car losing momentum?

If it feels firm, then your tap shift issue sounds normal from what other 6 speed guys complain about too. If it feels like you lose some momentum between shifts, then I'd have your trans looked at from everything to line blockage to pressure sensors to even the clutch packs for the slippage.

As for the tune Chris said that the WAMS tune will help some, but not be a cure.
It shifts firm. I've done some other reading and found out that it seems pretty normal for the GXP to that in tapshift.. I just wish there was simple fix for it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts