Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac G6 hardtop convertible
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought my 2008 G6 3.5L with 60k miles. Noticed a slight burning smell and upon inspection there is a bolt missing. There are other bolts near it (13mm).
Does anyone know if this was holding something on or just keeping oil in? What do I buy to replace it? TIA
Water Auto part Close-up Cable Audio equipment
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Registered
65 Posts
Not to worry, (I don't think) as I don't have a bolt in mine either. It may be, but I'm not 100% sure, a place to put an engine hoist bolt for pulling the engine. What kind of a smell is it? Any smoke/etc etc? Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a bit of oil coming out of the opening. It is sludging on the face, you can see where I wiped it with a q-tip. The smell is smoldering oil and not pleasant at all. No smoke thankfully. Everything else under the hood is very clean.

·
Registered
65 Posts
There is a bit of oil coming out of the opening. It is sludging on the face, you can see where I wiped it with a q-tip. The smell is smoldering oil and not pleasant at all. No smoke thankfully. Everything else under the hood is very clean.
Possibly you have a leak elsewhere and it going INTO the hole? As I said, I have no bolt in mine, either, so I don't believe there's supposed to be one in there. No oil coming out of mine.

·
Registered
402 Posts
The source of the oil leak is from the valve cover gasket. It is a formed rubber gasket and gets hard/brittle with age and the high heat of the running engine over time (14 year old vehicle).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! I did replace the bolt and clean the oil from the surrounding metal. I will keep a close eye on it and replace the gasket if I continue to see oil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts