Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 G6 GTP coupe, which appears to be the victim of TSB 09-08-57-004B. Essentially, water leak in trunk fried my amp. I'm exploring different options to get my music back (replacing amp with stock, or going aftermarket).

When looking online for G6 monsoon amplifiers I find 3 different part numbers
15881017 - Convertible
15833070 - Sedan
15833071 - Coupe

They all appear to physically look the same, but there is a difference in price of a few hundred dollars. Does anybody know what the difference is?

I'm trying to weight all my options to see what is most cost effective.

On a sidenote, if I get another 4 channel amp and wire it in, would it be ok in that area behind the carpet or is there a possibility for overheating?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Well I haven't had much luck in finding things out about the amplifier. There's also corrosion on the 3 connectors and they would need to be replaced. From what the dealer and I could gather just the 3 plastic connectors alone could cost $150.

I'm looking into swapping out the amp. I don't want to spend too much money on the system right now - like less than $1000 for now.
I'm debating between a few scenarios, and wondering a few questions
Questions:
1) The stock HU signal wires to the amp - are these high or low? I know they aren’t RCA, but they are preamp so I would assume they're low. Any way to test?
2) My coupe has the following speakers correct?

2x 6.5" in the front doors - These are full range right?
2x 1" Tweeters in the front door - Obviously just high frequencies
2x 6x9 in the rear deck - acting as a "sub woofer" low frequencies only correct?
2x 3.5" speakers in the rear deck - are these just tweeters, or mids?

Scenarios:
1)
Head Unit: Stock
Amp: Infinity KAPPA Four (125W RMS x4 @4Ohms)
Speakers: Stock
In this case I would need 4 passive crossovers correct? To split the signals going to the woofer and tweeters after the amp output. I also have some old JBL 927 6x9 speakers. So I could replace the rears and avoid 2 passive crossovers.

2)
Head Unit: Stock
Amp: JL Audio XD800/8V2 (75W RMS x 8 @ 4Ohms)
Speakers: Stock
This would be an 8 channel amp and I wouldn’t need any crossovers. Seems like the easiest option, but I feel like I would be limited in the future if I wanted to upgrade given its only 75W RMS.

Any comments, suggestions, insight, answers to my questions?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts