Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 G6 GT has the monsoon audio system and the speakers are going bad. The dealership will charge $90 per front speaker and $110 per rear 6x9 speaker. I can't find anywhere else where I can buy these speakers. I went to Best Buy and talked to a car audio expert and he said with the monsoon 6x9 I'd need monsoon replacements because of four wires going into it instead of one. I want to keep all of my monsoon as it will be cheaper most likely in the end and I'm perfectly fine with the sound quality for now but maybe in the future want to add a sub. Where can I find monsoon front and rear speakers that aren't going to be a combined $400? Also, would the monsoon amp be able to add a sub to it? Adding to that, Could I get a new amp and all new speakers while keeping my headunit? All I want is to keep the headunit the rest I'm open for any ideas. Any help?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I found this website after searching GM parts. Would this be a reliable place to buy the speakers and if so which do I need?

·
Registered
157 Posts
to be honest you can find a much better speaker setup for alot less. go to your closest audio store they would do a full install for $600ish speakers included!!

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'm in the same boat. Both rear speakers in my GT are blown, and I never have the system past 50% volume, nor the bass turned up past half. Needless to say I'm on the hunt for some new rear 6x9 speakers. I looked into the trunk and don't think installation will be too bad, although soldering wires together while laying on my back will be interesting. One thing I didn't do was to check impedance while I was looking at how they were installed.

I didn't notice that they are 4 wire. Perhaps I can find a way to mount two wire speakers. I'm not a fan of the Monsoon system as my Infinity system in my older Dodge is much clearer overall and has bass that I can crank up to shake the door panel and rear view mirror without causing a loss of clarity.

·
Registered
63 Posts
There is no way to use aftermarket speakers with the factory amp. I just tried this in my Malibu. I bought Sony 6X9 speakers that were 3 way speakers. I tried connecting just the tweeter to the tweeter lead from the amp and the woofer to the low input from the amp and have not the best results. They work, but I am missing a lot of mid range. The amps crossover doesn't match the Sony's.

I am also looking to go back to stock speakers. My dealer quoted me $70 which I still find ridiculous for a paper cone speaker.

·
Registered
470 Posts
So I'd have to upgrade practically the entire system.

Thanks GM.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts