Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know why my monsoon sound system lost bass and 4 door audio??? i checked the trunk fuse box to see if the amplifier fuse (25 amps) was burnt, but it wasnt. is there any fuse inside the little monsoon amplifier located in the trunk? by the way, the audio settings are fine, i was listening right and suddenly the door speakers turned off, now the only speakers that sounds are the tweeters and the rear ones located above the trunk, but with no bass at all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm having the same problem!! Please let me know if you ever found out what the deal was! Man, all I have are mids and highs and its sooooooo annoying!! Embarassing to say the least lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same here

So I lost my bass as well! I have a 2007 G6 GT with the monsoon system.

I found that if I just set it to run on the left side, it works PERFECT. but anything other than totally to the left is crap. All crackled and NO bass.

I have a LOC connected to my back right speaker, that leads to my aftermarket amp for a 15" sub I have. That doesnt produce bass anymore either because obviously the amp no longer likes heavy bass on the right side of the car. lmao.

I'll check back every once in a while to see if you guys find a fix or let you know if I do.

But if either of you dont mind, when a fix is found, email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well apparently my problem was not with the factory amp at all. Since my right side quit, I rewired my line level converter to the left side so I would have my subwoofer again.

Turns out, that fixed it. I paid a car audio shop to install the line level converter because the back speakers confused me, lmao, 4 wires goin into each speaker. was lazy and only cost me $20. Anyways the short must have been where the line went into the converter. Because thats all I changed. Now left and right sides both work PERFECT.

Sorry I can't help you other guys, best of luck though!

BTW took the G6 into my local Pontiac dealer for an oil change and asked them to look at it for me. They said the speakers were blown..... those dumb *******s prob just listened to it for a second and heard the sound and that was their "looking at it".

·
Registered
5 Posts
that exact same thing just happened to me. my 1 in tweets in the front work and the rear 6x9s work but no door speakers and no bass. i know the door speakers are not blown because i hooked them up to another audio source and they work just fine. how come nobody knows how to fix this problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well the majority of the bass comes from the rear 6x9s.... hmm. You install any audio stuff in the car recently? Or at all? Is the audio all stock?

I know the few weeks I drove around with my one side distorted I almost died. I hope we get yours figured out soon!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Sounds like some of you guys have bad amplifiers. I would check and see if any of it has been recalled. Other than that. There's really no way of saying how to fix it without getting in there and poking around a little and trying to find the short.

The best way to find it is by doing an Ohm Load check on all the speakers. That will tell you which one is the short. Or you can disconnect one speaker, <-- that would've worked but I beleive Monsoon is a parrallel system. Meaning you unplug one they all go out. hmm? I would test ohm loads and yes It may require taking door panels off or located the wires in the kick panel.

You could also squeeze around in the door boot, the rubber, and see if wires are getting pinched? Idk. It weird. Sounds like something is grounding out and shouldn't be.

BTW. NEVER take you car to a dealer and ask them to look at something to see if they know what the problem is. It's too expensive and they never know anything about audio. Take it to the nearest car audio shop and ask them why? Most of the time I've had to rewire each speaker directly from the headunit and I charged $25 per speaker not including parts. btw. I was a roadshop/audio installer but lost my job to a recent closing. Hope that helped.

·
Registered
4 Posts
does anyone know why my monsoon sound system lost bass and 4 door audio??? i checked the trunk fuse box to see if the amplifier fuse (25 amps) was burnt, but it wasnt. is there any fuse inside the little monsoon amplifier located in the trunk? by the way, the audio settings are fine, i was listening right and suddenly the door speakers turned off, now the only speakers that sounds are the tweeters and the rear ones located above the trunk, but with no bass at all.
I have the same problem with my 05gt, the only thing I have found is that I can start the car and turn the system on then go to the trunk and pull the 25amp fuse in the left side and reinstall it (some times 2 or 3 times) and it (will) come back up and work just fine untill I turn the car off, I have to do this every time I want to hear the full system, It is a pain in the a$$ but it does work!!!!! There must be some one out there smarter than me that can let us know just what the problem is. I thought about putting a toggle switch on the head unit ( installed under the dash out of site) as to cut the power to the fuse box to cut the power to the 25amp fuse to see if it will work and be faster than pulling and reinstalling the fuse in the trunk.
The first thing I need is for all of you with the same problem to pull out and reinstall the 25amp fuse (with the system turned on) to see if this works for you as it does for me, and let us all know, and if it does if someone thanks the toggle switch mite work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
replace it!!!

i suggest to replace your monsoon amplifier, the stock one is crap, replace it and you´ll have no more problems. :D

i, did it and i installed instead a sony amplilifer i had from my last car, i just wanted to know if the problem were at the amp or at the speaker wiring and now everything works fine (it was the crappy monsoon amp), now i´ve more powerful sound! also i installed a brutus hifonics 1600w RMS mono amp for a couple of a 12" mtx to give richer bass.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I went to an audio shop and had it looked at they told me I would have to get my monsoon amp rebuilt or buy a new factory one. They said if I put a different one it it wouldn't sound right. Is this not true or does it depend on what kind of amp I would replace it with???

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just had the exact same thing happen to me. Bass suddenly cut out while listening to the radio and no audio from the front door speakers. Did anyone figure out how to fix this or am I just going to have to get a replacement amp? :mad:

·
Registered
29 Posts
alright, i've been having the same issue for a week or so and i was going nuts!!! i looked all over for the problem...yesterday i finally found the power wire(pink) for the factory amp was broken. it's the hanress that comes out of the factory amp in the trunk, and goes along the passenger side trumk wall into the car through the back of the seat with a rubber grommet. mine was broken about 2-3 feet from where is goes into the grommet. grab the harness around that sopt and wiggle it around, see what happens. good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
update

Thanks for the suggestion.

However I checked all the wires everything is intact.

I called my local dealer and got a price to replace the amp. They wanted a whopping $767CDN + taxes for a brand new one, and that's if I installed it myself. With my GM discount it would still be $651CDN + taxes.

I checked some wreckers in the area to see if they had any, but no luck. They said I could keep checking with them to see if anything comes in but no guarantees. Even then they estimated they would want over $200 for it.

After doing a ton more checking around I was recommended to visit a local electronics shop that specializes in car audio systems to see what they had to say. They had seen this problem before from a previous customer and said it would not be worth it to try and have it repaired. I did ask what I would be looking at if I wanted to look at putting in a whole new system. Because of the setup with the computer/oil system with the radio, after getting all the proper mounts and connectors I would be spending way more then I would ever want at this point.

Therefore, I went for a hunt on ebay/kijiji and lucky found someone selling theirs for $75 after just putting in a new system in their 05 G6 GT. Now, I'm just waiting for it to arrive in the mail and praying that it resolves the problem.

Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion.

However I checked all the wires everything is intact.

I called my local dealer and got a price to replace the amp. They wanted a whopping $767CDN + taxes for a brand new one, and that's if I installed it myself. With my GM discount it would still be $651CDN + taxes.

I checked some wreckers in the area to see if they had any, but no luck. They said I could keep checking with them to see if anything comes in but no guarantees. Even then they estimated they would want over $200 for it.

After doing a ton more checking around I was recommended to visit a local electronics shop that specializes in car audio systems to see what they had to say. They had seen this problem before from a previous customer and said it would not be worth it to try and have it repaired. I did ask what I would be looking at if I wanted to look at putting in a whole new system. Because of the setup with the computer/oil system with the radio, after getting all the proper mounts and connectors I would be spending way more then I would ever want at this point.

Therefore, I went for a hunt on ebay/kijiji and lucky found someone selling theirs for $75 after just putting in a new system in their 05 G6 GT. Now, I'm just waiting for it to arrive in the mail and praying that it resolves the problem.

Fingers crossed.
Sadly, I'm adding myself to the list. My driverside door lower speaker seems to have this same issue. I don't think it is blown because it will cut in and out. Sometimes in won't go on for a few days but I will suddenly notice it is back on but sort of static and distorted ...Did anyone ever get a replacement amp and did that fix the issue?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Monsoon Issues

Well, the thing about the Pontiac G6 is that to replace the radio/amp, it's expensive. Good news is, you can do an amp bypass or replace the speakers and it sound better than the monsoon.

For instance: If you want to replace the amp with aftermarket audio, you'd have to bypass the amp, provided the factory amp is the problem. This is done by simply unplugged in input and output harness of the amp and running 9-wire (wire that has 8 speaker wires and 1 remote wire all in one), to the output harness from the head-unit. Labor $50 Material $30

Well if we are gonna by pass the amp we have to replace the speakers because I believe the monsoon speakers are 2 ohm, and unless they are 4 ohm. If the monsoon are 4 ohm, you could simply replace the headunit and do the amp bypass and use the factory speakers. If not you'd have to replace the facotry speakers when doing an amp bypass for the reason of the tweeters and mid in the doors. You'd have to splice the tweeter output into the mid range to get a full range out of that speaker.

I know this all sounds confusing but to replace the factory radio. The dash kit is $199 and antenna adapter is $14.99. All Metra Parts. 99-3303 I believe and 40GM10 Antenna. Double check though cause I'm just going off a guess from what I can remember. Then a typical install $49 to install the radio. eeh Radio costs $150, Soo $450 with aftermarket radio. Then since the amp is bad you'd have to do an amp bypass +$49, but since we have to replace speakers, kicker 6.5's $99, & 6x9's $149, Install $69 per pair, soo lets say $900. So roughly $1000 to replace your entire system with Kicker Speakers or any other and a headunit and bypass. So if you can get a factory amp and are pretty handy, just do that if you really want to spend $700, i'd jsut spend an extra 3 and get a whole new setup. There really isn't much troubleshooting to the amp going bad
____
MECP Basic Certified Installer

·
Professional geek
433 Posts
What surprises me is that no one seems to have (or at least posted so) replaced the Monsoon amp and upgraded the speakers with aftermarkets while keeping the stock head unit. It should be pretty simple to do with the most complicated part (and it is not at all) in wiring the new amp in place of the old. That way you don't lose the DIC or other features but you can still have a kickin' system.

Even if you don't upgrade the speakers, if you get a 2-ohm stable 4-channel amp of 50 to 100 Watts per channel and a set of 2-way crossovers, you could replace the existing amp by wiring it in to the car's harness. Just make sure to set the amp gain low enough so you don't send the speaker voice coils through the headliner when you crank it.

Once I have a longer daily commute I just might do something like this.

~ MattInSoCal

·
Registered
110 Posts
You can replace the stock headunit and keep the information center. The Metra part controls all that. It's like 99-3303 I believe once again, I havent checked metra but it sounds right because I used it. I ended up replacing my stock headunit with a DoubleDin Kenwood DDX-616 because I got for the same price as a single din. What I ended up doing was re-wiring the dash kit into my center console so I could stil change the trip and oil change reset and everything. I custom mod'ed with ABS plastic and holder for the display center and ran 9-wire to and from the headunit as it were to be wire normally soo al the wires would stay the same. So i have a double din and full function of my display center for oil, trip, and all the information. Wasn't simple but I am an advanced enough installer to do such a task.

If you want to replace the factory stock amp, you'd have to find an amp stable enough to keep the factory speakers from blowing (which is hard). All in all, you can just do an amp bypass and replace the factory speakers if you want better sound. Or just buy a factory amp. However, I'd suggest getting a set of component 6.5's and 6x9s and doing an amp bypass. I haven't done that because my amp still works... But yea. If you need a walk through on how to do an amp bypass as well as a speaker install just let me know. Everytime a Pontiac shows up in our bay, I got dibs. lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts