Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
8 months after buying my G6 the fog lamp indicator went out. (not that big of deal) I'm going to solder in a new LED sometime. I had another issue with panel lights yesterday.

I was changing the fan speed 1>2>3>4 etc, and changed the defrost setting when the light(s)? under the defrost panel (vent, bi-level, floor, defog, rear defog) started flickering.

I gave the side of the panel a tap with my hand and they flicked back on several times but after giving it another "tap" more like a slap, they went out completely and haven't flickered or came back on since.

Can anyone tell me what type of bulb(s) I need to replace (providing it's just the bulb :|) and how to access the panel? I'm assuming the whole damn dash needs removed? :mad: Step by step would be most helpful.

It _really_ sucks these indicator/panel lights are going out. What gives?

TIA

Shaun

· 2006 Black G6 GT
395 Posts
Sounds like something is up.. if it was flickering sounds like bad wiring somewhere.

The fog led is a constant problem... I haven't had a working led there since i bought my car.. but its no big deal.

I can see where your frustration comes with a non-working temperature and such panel.

· Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was actually hoping it was a bulb because that would be easier for me to replace than track down a wiring problem. Ugh

I found instructions (thanks to link posted by Lampoon) on how to remove dash/radio/climate panel. It's the middle of winter and I have no garage so looks like it will have to wait til spring.

Can anyone confirm if the lights are bulbs or LED? Are they easily accessible on the back of the climate panel?

Thanks Ensur3 and anyone else who offers helps.

Shaun

· Registered
195 Posts
check your tail lamps do they work?

i had this issue with a fuse. the lights on the whole bottom section of the climate control would not come on and the tail lamps went out.

if you're savvy enough look for a fuse in the fuse box that says something like "stop lamp" or "park lamp" something like that

that fixed my issue

· Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies to both my posts daygon.

As far as the climate control, all lights work except the knob that controls air direction. Left and Middle work, right one is gone out. I'm assuming if it's a fuse then all climate/panel lights would be out? I'm pretty sure the tail lights are working, had my son check the one night but he's only 8 so he might not be the best man for the job :)

I was told by service today that it's a closed unit and not serviceable. It's an LED rather than a bulb so I'd have to open the module, try and replace the LED, etc,etc. I will be replacing the whole climate control module. There are quite a few listed on ebay. The dealership told me $249 HAHAHA...try $20-50 on ebay. How do they get away with charging $249? It's sad suckers actually might pay that.

Cheers.

Reactions: ConvertibleG6GT

· Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
$100 for that climate module would be more than sufficient nevermind $250. Then they tried to tell me it would be an hour labour to remove the dash. I can't stand that place. The only reason I went there was because they are the only place in town who does the Terraclean. I was inquiring about other things while I waited. I'm thankful for the pricing and service of the fuel system treatment but far from happy with their other services.

Picked up a climate module for $12 on ebay total with shipping $30 :)

Cheers.

· Registered
45 Posts
Are the bulbs ur talking about the red ones because I want to get rid of them so bad I hate red

Reactions: ConvertibleG6GT

· Registered
2 Posts
I'm looking for the red ones. I'm going to go by a dealership after work tomorrow to see if they have them. From what I've read, they are hard to find, if not impossible. On my bulbs, they have a red, rubbery coating to make them red. That coating will come off. I don't know what color your lights will be after that.

· Registered
2,389 Posts
Where did you get the bulbs? I need one that is behind the lower right knob...(Vent Selection and Direction)....
If I had this problem I'd buy a used CC head unit from ebay (under 25 bucks) & harvest the lamps off the circuit board. I'm 99% sure they use SMLEDs so you'd need to be experienced using a soldering iron & doing circuit board work.

Or you may get lucky & find a head unit with all the lamps still functioning.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/05-09-06-07...Parts_Accessories&hash=item19d2f1e567&vxp=mtr

· Legend
782 Posts
All of the bulbs in the HVAC (ac controls) can be removed very easy. Theres no soldering involved. You can go to superbrightleds.com. click this link its the bulbs you need. http://www.superbrightleds.com/more...gauge/neox-led-bulb-instrument-panel-led/220/

Get the 5mm one. And they can be removed with a Phillips screwdriver and the new one pops right in. And they're less than $2 a piece. Very easy to swap. And you'll understand how to do it once you take it off.

So just order those NeoX 5mm bulbs and swap them out. I think the whole HVAC was 3-4 red and 1-2 white bulbs to be replaced with Leds.
Sent from my Desire HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App

· Registered
2,389 Posts
Yes there are two different head units. And there may be a difference in how they are lamped. I honestly don't know.

Found this thread that refers to an 07 G6 automatic CC head unit:

http://www.g6performance.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20596

I have no idea if the manual head unit uses the same replaceable lamps. I know on the Malibu & Aura the manual HU uses SMLEDs. This is from an 08 Aura with manual CC:

http://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3655&stc=1&d=1354823418

But then again, unlike the Malibu & Aura, Pontiac put the DIC in the radio HU so I guess I shouldn't be that surprised they would have used completely different HVAC HU designs too.

Whichever HU you have, you'll need to pull the radio out of the car to remove the bezel.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.