Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 174 Posts

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:beer:Hey I though we could have a section that talks about motor oil. What kind do you use and why?:beer:

I just whiched to Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic. It's not a true base synthetic but it will do. After some research I did on the benifits of synthetic oils I learned the real synthetic motor oil is completely engineered for the low friction and high viscosity.
The cost of this oil I started to use is a bit high but it will be worth it in the long run, I think.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Based on most reputable, unbiased studies, synthetics have not proved to be cost effective. Engines that were designed to run on regular oil will run prefectly fine throughout its life. Synthetic oil has superior qualities and does offer extra protection but it's a bit of an overkill. Under normal driving conditions you will not see any benefits by using synthetic oil. Unfortunitely, many people are blinded by marketing and will argue against it.

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Based on most reputable, unbiased studies, synthetics have not proved to be cost effective. Engines that were designed to run on regular oil will run prefectly fine throughout its life. Synthetic oil has superior qualities and does offer extra protection but it's a bit of an overkill. Under normal driving conditions you will not see any benefits by using synthetic oil. Unfortunitely, many people are blinded by marketing and will argue against it.
aahhhh....normal driving.....Who defines that? lol
I agree, under normal driving conditions; but like Robert said/asked, what are normal driving conditions? Most folks that join up to these forums are looking for ways to add HP and using a true synthetic motor oil does add a small bit of horse power.
If anyone is happy with a traditional motor oil, great! But if you are looking to get an edge, even a small one, then try synthetic.
At this time my wife's G6 has the traditional Castrol 5W-30. My Mazda has 5W-20 Pennzoil synthetic. For my next oil change I plan to use "Redline" brand synthetic motor oil. Though the research of some friends they have found Redline is the best synthetic lubricant for there cars, I trust their findings.

·
Young Punk
76 Posts
I'm looking at doing an oil change here in February (I like to change the oil in Spring and Fall, and sooner if necessary), and out of curiousity I did a little rooting around the interweb and found this
http://www.performanceoilnews.com/oils_against_oils.shtml
It's a rather comprehensive comparison of the top brands of oil, including: Particle Wear (ie. how much wear on the engine there is at a set intervals), Top Horsepower (Self explanitory), and vicosity loss.
Needless to say, I find it very useful, and thought I'd make a little contribution to help everyone out a bit. ;)

*Edit*
aahhhh....normal driving.....Who defines that? lol
I found that having all the information about the different oils provided allows a person to choose the best oil according to their preference, though, Mobil 1 0-w40 seems best for horsepower increase, and Royal Purple for engine wear. Personally, I think I'll be running Mobile 1 0-w40 just for the additional power. After all, the engine wear is fairly average, which is fine considering that engines wear out (fact of life), and eventually I'll be moving to a newer vehicle, at which point I'll most likely either trade in my G6, or keep it and just run Royal Purple for the sake of maintaining it well (which I hope the rest of you feel similarly about), but until then, the bottom line is, the G6 is performance, and we like more power, and, in my opinion, the 0-w40 from Mobil 1 provides the best increase.

·
Registered
21 Posts
In my newer cars i run Mobile 1, I've switched 3 cars/trucks thus far and usually gotten better gas milage. I also use Syn-tech, i think that's valvoline's synthetic on a couple cars too. Better results with Mobile 1, it takes a few oil changes to actually see any real effect IMO.
Don

·
Young Punk
76 Posts
In my newer cars i run Mobile 1, I've switched 3 cars/trucks thus far and usually gotten better gas milage. I also use Syn-tech, i think that's valvoline's synthetic on a couple cars too. Better results with Mobile 1, it takes a few oil changes to actually see any real effect IMO.
Don
Good to know, I've been contemplating whether running a 0-w40 oil when GM suggests 5-w30 would be bad for the engine or not. By my logic, an oil with a broader temperature range, and similar engine wear would be better for the engine. (Living in Calgary we tend to get some pretty low temperatures during the winter, and some brutally high ones during the summer)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't run 0 weight oil in anything, IMO that's just too thin. But then i'm in Atlanta GA, so it dosen't usually get really cold here. If i was in a colder climate, i might run 0 weight in the winter months. When we got the G6, it had 13K on it, (now it's at 26K) dealer changed the oil/filter and i changed it 3K later to mobile 1 5w-30. My '03 cavilier i swapped to mobile 1 at 44K, (now at 74K) and my '97 Chevy truck i swapped at 71K (now at 77K). I've had no issues with leaks on any of those, and got about 1mpg better milage pretty much across the board on all 3. I also change it at 5K, with filter. I know many people say you can run longer, but i want my engines to last a very very long time and oil/filters are cheap compared to engines. lol
Don

·
Young Punk
76 Posts
yeah, the technicians and such say the same thing about the thinness of 0w-40, so i suppose I'll go with the 5w-30 as well, just because it's tested and true by our very own pontiac community lol. my g6 has a good.. 97000 kilometers on it, and i don't know how the previous owner treated it, so i'm pretty sure i'm going to have the engine cleaned, as well as the fuel system. should be an interesting thing to watch (I've never seen it, and such things intrigue me).

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
What is the best oil to use for the ecotech engine if you want to maintain a engine life instead of adding hp.
Whats that?:confused:
getting additional HP from a motor oil is a result of better lubrication (IMO) and that will better maintain your engine too.
Also, IMO, the minute differences we can get from changing from 5W-30 to anything else is a waste of time; unless you drive the trac and .006sec matters. Or, if you plan to put 200,000 miles on your vehicle before you sell it. These companies spend a lot of money on engineers to determine whether or not "X" motor oil is better than "Y" motor oil. Sure I look at the differences too and I find the oil brand matters more than the type because the manufacturer has resolved the "type" issue for me.
In addition, to think an automotive company lacks the engineering personnel to figure out what oil is best for their engine is nuts however the company does consider the cost of the car which could lead to substandard parts that not only lowers the price tag of your G6 but lowers the quality too. So if you replace a part use the mack daddy part.

·
Registered
15 Posts
What is the best oil to use for the ecotech engine if you want to maintain a engine life instead of adding hp.
Any name brand (with the proper API rating) in the manufacturer's recomended weight, a good filter and changed at the manufacturer's recomended interval should get you a long way. My '94 Saturn has 370000km most of it on dealership conventional oil, changed at 5000km. The last 70000 since I've had it it's got Castrol GTX on 5000km changes, so has my G6 but changed by the OLM.

If you're really interested in oil check out Bob Is the Oil Guy. Their forums are a wealth of information, and opinion.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Castrol GTX 5w30?

I'm having a real hard time deciding what to use in my new G6. I bought it with around 45k and am approaching first oil change (DIC oil life 20%)

I've been debating for months over Mobil1 full synthetic but after much research I really don't feel I would benefit from using a full synthetic.

I've called around the shops in town and found one that uses GTX 5w30 and are very reasonable pricewise. Can anyone recommend this brand of oil? If I bring them my own oil the price is only $5 less.

I'm not prepared to do my own oil changes at this point so please refrain from telling me to do it myself. I'm not confident enough around this car and I would not want to overfill or something stupid!

TIA

·
Registered
237 Posts
Coool. Thanks Whiz. Helps to know it's being used by other G6'ers. Looks like I'm off for an oil change!

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
I just picked up a gallon of Pennzoil Platinum at Wally Mart on sale for $20.

I've been using the regular Pennzoil and changing it at 30% Oil Life, getting about 6,000-7,000 miles per oil change.

I plan on doing hopefully 9,000-10,000 with the Platinum changing it between5-10% Oil Life. Now I just need an oil filter.

Heard bad things about Frams, K&N is a little too steep priced, Mobil 1 I don't like because I don't support gougers. So anyone have input on a good filter?

I don't plan on changing it myself because the apartments here frown on people changing their own oil and the mechanic here will only charge about $20 if I bring my own.

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just picked up a gallon of Pennzoil Platinum at Wally Mart on sale for $20.

I've been using the regular Pennzoil and changing it at 30% Oil Life, getting about 6,000-7,000 miles per oil change.

I plan on doing hopefully 9,000-10,000 with the Platinum changing it between5-10% Oil Life. Now I just need an oil filter.

Heard bad things about Frams, K&N is a little too steep priced, Mobil 1 I don't like because I don't support gougers. So anyone have input on a good filter?

I don't plan on changing it myself because the apartments here frown on people changing their own oil and the mechanic here will only charge about $20 if I bring my own.
NAPA sells a filter by the name “WIX”, its made by K&N. It’s a good filter with a good price.
On the oil change, “Pennzoil Platinum”, I believe that’s the synthetic oil. If so, check your oil regular. The claim that “Pennzoil Platinum oil cleans your engine” is real. You may want to do an oil change at 50% on the first change. When I first ran Pennzoil Platinum, within the first 2000 miles my oil was so dirty I would have sworn I never changed it. After that the oils stayed clean for a while.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
The car has seen nothing but Pennzoil conventional since I got it which also claims to clean up to 15% or something on the oil change. So it hopefully shouldn't look too bad but I'll be sure to keep an eye on it. The K&N filter is only 50 cents more than the Mobil 1 so I may just get it.

Heard some nice things about the Purolater filter but it makes me curious why it's so cheap.

1 - 20 of 174 Posts