Pontiac G6 Forum banner

121 - 140 of 175 Posts

·
Casanova&Beautiful 12/09
20 Posts
I just did an oil change...last time I let ANYONE change the oil in my G6...******* Penzoil. I let my mother take my car to get it's oil change done (She took it to those incompetent ****holes), this was at the 13K mile, well a little over actually. Anyway, I remove the drain plug, and let it drain, took off the filter, and decided to check the progress (It normally isn't done just yet). It was through...I checked the amount of oil that was drained. Just OVER 2 qts. What!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Why????????? ******! I advise NO one take their vehicle there....

·
Registered
470 Posts
I hate to say it but some shops know that women are an easy target. I had a place show me the dipstick of my Durango the once when I was out of town, so I couldn't change the oil myself. Even with "5.9 R/T" on the doors they had assumed I had a 4.7L engine which requires 1.5 more quarts of oil, so the oil level on the dipstick was a good half inch more. I asked them to dump out the added oil, and they did after some easy arguing. To top it all off they were going to charge me the extra $5 for the additional 1.5 quarts of oil and I stated again that my 5.9L engine only requires 5 quarts, not 6.5. That was at an Oil Changers outlet.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Doing the oil change yourself is quick and easy. If you can't do it, or don't want to do it yourself then find a highly reputable shop. Quick lube places are a joke, there are plenty of horror stories about them.

Cousin took her Eclipse there and they used an impact gun and threaded the bolt all crooked. Friend's Volvo they used an impact gun and broke the head off the bolt and left it in the pan lol.

Some people drain oil but don't add oil, others leave filters on and only drain oil from the pan, it goes on an on. When you do it yourself you know it gets done right, and you get a sense of satisfaction.

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
When you do it yourself you know it gets done right, and you get a sense of satisfaction.
This is one of the most important things about being a car/truck owner; Take care of your car.
Changing your own motor oil is no more complicated than cycling laundry. If you can't do your own laundry or change oil then take the time out of one day to vist a few auto shops in your area. I have two shops that I use in Baton Rouge that I found this very way. These guys are honest and thorough. Every now and then, when its been a while since I was there, I drop off a couple of boxes of donuts and shoot the breeze, this affims a kind of relationship between me and them.
A respected machanic is a good friend to have, find one!:cool:

Just my thoughts!:)

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Well said!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Not to mention if you do the work yourself, and something goes wrong, you won't get as upset as you'll have no one to blame but yourself!

·
Registered
23 Posts
educate yourselves!

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

read this guys oil chapters. they are extremely in depth and just opened my eyes to everything i thought i knew about oil.

synthetics do have advantages, if you don't plan on keeping the car long enough to see them then it doesn't really matter. but they do reduce the engine wear on the start up with is 90% of where the engine wear occurs, especially in cold weather!

its up to you if you want your machine to be fast and fun and sell it in 2 years or last 20. spend your money on whatever you want. but this guy also explains the differences in racing and regular oil.

knowledge is power.....(corny but right, i know) read!!!!!! educate yourselves, then decide what is best for you.

·
Registered
470 Posts
synthetics do have advantages, if you don't plan on keeping the car long enough to see them then it doesn't really matter. but they do reduce the engine wear on the start up with is 90% of where the engine wear occurs, especially in cold weather!

its up to you if you want your machine to be fast and fun and sell it in 2 years or last 20. spend your money on whatever you want. but this guy also explains the differences in racing and regular oil.

knowledge is power.....(corny but right, i know) read!!!!!! educate yourselves, then decide what is best for you.
Bob...is a lot of things.....

Knowledge, that website has; so do many other resource sites out there. Bob just marketed his better.

I bolded a line above. I would never buy a used vehicle from a guy who didn't think long term maintenance was a good thing. If you put the money into a vehicle, I won't haggle about the asking price providing you can provide me with proper service records and using top notch fluids might even get you a bonus!

Royal Purple has a problem a few years ago that was remedied fairly quickly. People would buy their 'racing oil' which lacked proper additives for low rpm, daily driving use and ultimately led to engine problems, or failure. However, this is the owners fault, for buying racing oil in the first place thinking that if it costs slightly more, then it must perform better. If I bought a high revving car, say BMW M3, and flogged it on a regular basis, then I'd get the racing oil as it protects better under extreme driving conditions and is made to resist breakdown under high engine loads for prolonged periods. People just have to 'think before you buy' and do their homework instead of jumping right in. Companies like Royal Purple did their marketing very well, however it was interpreted by the wrong people.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I bolded a line above. I would never buy a used vehicle from a guy who didn't think long term maintenance was a good thing. If you put the money into a vehicle, I won't haggle about the asking price providing you can provide me with proper service records and using top notch fluids might even get you a bonus!

I completely agree with you on that part but isn't it true for the masses, that they only want to use the cheapest thing right now, to make sure their machine runs, right now.......

i plan on running my g6 until the thing explodes, and want the longevity and fun out of it, so i will spend a little more. not to get too off topic.

i bought my g6 gt with 38k miles on it and in 8 months and put 14k miles on it. i was running pennzoil mineral oil to begin with and just switched to pennzoil plat. i have noticed tremendous increase in fuel economy and bhp. i never plan on using mineral oil again, thats just me. yes i do realize you gain hp from a standard oil change, im talking about a gain in hp above and beyond that. i have done 4 oil changes since i bought the car and only on this most recent one have i switched to synthetic.

i live in alaska, so spending 10$ more per oil change to aid my vehicle starts in the winter is beyond paying for itself. the benefits for full synthetic are just too worth it, in my particular situation. like i said before, educate yourself about the product, then choose what is best for your situation.

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,355 Posts
What motor oil do u guys recommend for a G6 w 150k in South Texas where the temp. Is always on the high 90....
I use Mobile 1....always have since day one.
I have 130k on it now and it runs great.
Cheapest place to get it is Wal mart then do it yourself.

WM will even take your old oil. Easy cheesy and your engine will love you. ;)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I use Mobile 1....always have since day one.
I have 130k on it now and it runs great.
Cheapest place to get it is Wal mart then do it yourself.

WM will even take your old oil. Easy cheesy and your engine will love you. ;)
Ive been using Quaker State 10w30 the one on Wal Mart and doin my oil changes there... should i start usin the high mileage oils out there since im close to 150 or Mobile 1 da one said

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
They have a higher detergent, that’s all. If you've been a diligent owner and you've maintained your car's engine those oils don't do anything special. But don't take my word for it, ask around! :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ima giv it a try to Mobile 1. Many of my frends n ppl here seems to use it. Hope i can see da difference... in gas milage

·
iz Jared
201 Posts
I miss doing my own oil changes, however at the dealership if they do it it's $28 to use Mobil 1 and as long as I do that I have a lifetime powertrain warranty.

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,355 Posts
I miss doing my own oil changes, however at the dealership if they do it it's $28 to use Mobil 1 and as long as I do that I have a lifetime powertrain warranty.
DANG!!! Thats about what I pay doing it myself!!! Course I upgrade the filter a bit and they prolly use the cheapest...but still thats a dang good price.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i know someone already asked about this, but i have seen only 1 response. has anyone used pennzoil ultra? i run pennzoil platinum right now. since my last post that was my first oil change to synthetic. i got 8500miles in 5 months according to the OLM that oil change rather than when i was running mineral oils i was getting 2500-3500miles. granted my first change to synthetic and that oil looked more like sludge coming out. which is good, less crap in my engine then.

i don't know who bagged on wally world, but just a quick side note; at wally world i pay 24.xx dollars for a gallon jug of pennzoil plat while at shucks/oreilys right across the street it is 44.xx dollars. so i would say to you, the product is no different. if you want to spend 20 extra dollars for the same product you be my guest.

having said that the pennzoil ultra is supposedly have much better cleaning properties than that of the pennzoil plat(which are already good) just wondering if anybody has tried it.

also i found it interesting on pennzoil's website when you use the oil-for-vehicle gadget, for the premium oil for a 08 g6 gt they recommend pennzoil plat and not pennzoil ultra. if the company is about trying to make money and provide a quality product for consumers, maybe it isn't intended for all cars. or maybe they make a better profit margin on pennzoil plat :p

·
Registered
473 Posts
Most cars won't see any benefit out of using synthethic motor oil. Using the ultra is a total waste of money unless you constantly drive at extreme conditions.

121 - 140 of 175 Posts