Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if you have the MP3 option on your stereo, i am wondering how well it works. specifically, is it good about displaying the names of folders and MP3s. i saw some 3rd party stereos, and they display the folders on the CD as 'Folder 1, Folder 2' i'm really hoping the stock radio doesn't do this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it adds ~$150 to the final price.. but then there's the matter of does the dealer have a car with it and equipment that matches what you wanted in the first place.

·
Registered
10 Posts
What would be the best way to hook up an external MP3 player? I know the obvious solution, an FM modulator, but those can really drop the sound quality down....not to mention I would have to take apart the dash...

Does anyone know if there is a way to hook up an MP3 player to the stock system directly?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Masta120 said:
What would be the best way to hook up an external MP3 player? I know the obvious solution, an FM modulator, but those can really drop the sound quality down....not to mention I would have to take apart the dash...

Does anyone know if there is a way to hook up an MP3 player to the stock system directly?
I don't know what you mean by "take apart the dash" but the only thing that seems to be suitable for you would be a cassette adaptor. Anything else you do you'll have to remove part of the dash.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I meant that I didn't want to have to take the dash panel apart.

I currently have a 1999 Buick Regal. I wanted to put a Neo MP3 player in it. I found out that my car came with a pre-wired CD changer cable in my trunk. I also found out that with an appropriate adapter, you can use that CD changer cable as an auxilliary input into the stock head unit.

Does anyone know of something like this for the G6 stock system?

I have found that an FM modulator or a cassette tape drop the quality of mp3s down significantly (especially since mp3s aren't the highest quality anyway...).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Depends. I have a digital FM modulator and a Creative Nomad Xtra hooked-up to it and the quality is as good as I'd want it to be, much better than anything the road noise would drown anyway. I used to have an analogic Clarion FM modulator though and THAT was a pile of crap.

The one I currently have is this:
http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=powefm01

I'd recommend it. Not too difficult to install (although you DO have to take the dash panel out and remove the radio in order to plug it in) and it does it's job better than any other I've heard.

I doubt there's wiring going to the trunk in a G6 considering the optional CD changer in located in the dash, not in the trunk.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Seeing as how no G6's have cassette players, and the absence of cd changer prewiring going to the trunk, an FM modulator is the best way to go. You will have to pull apart the dash to get to the antenna input, but I posted a how to on this. It's not that hard. Sound quality of an FM modulated source is not that bad, I used to have an XM setup using it on my Grand Am, never thought it sounded bad.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Too bad the G6 doesn't have the rear-seat DVD system that my Malibu Maxx has. I bought the Monster cable for my iPod and I have a direct connection to my stereo. Now if I want to listen to MP3's, all I have to do is change the source to REAR AUX. Just one more reason why I'm glad I got the Malibu Maxx instead of the G6.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Medium Gray Malibu Maxx said:
Just one more reason why I'm glad I got the Malibu Maxx instead of the G6.
So you may have the "super cool" plug in MP3 player and DVD set up, but at the end of the day you still drive a Chevy Malibu. I don't ever see myself getting a station wagon type car. (I've had a rough day) :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
bigbengt67 said:
So you may have the "super cool" plug in MP3 player and DVD set up, but at the end of the day you still drive a Chevy Malibu. I don't ever see myself getting a station wagon type car. (I've had a rough day) :)
Hey... I'll admit it. The G6 looks a little better on the outside, but I personally think the Malibu Maxx is way nicer on the inside. The Malibu Maxx has a lot that isn't even available on the G6 (DVD player, Homelink, auto-dimming rearview mirror, heated outside mirrors, reclining/sliding rear-seats, rear skylights, automatic climate control, more cargo room, etc...). Side & head curtain airbags were standard like almost everything else. All this with a sticker price less than a G6 with less stuff.

And I wouldn't really call it a wagon... more of a hatchback. :cool:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hey... I'll admit it. The G6 looks a little better on the outside
Isn't that what people generally look at anyways? Sorry, the Malibu still hasn't got anything on the G6. I'd take an exterior look over a DVD player any day.....

·
Registered
423 Posts
Too bad the G6 doesn't have the rear-seat DVD system that my Malibu Maxx has. I bought the Monster cable for my iPod and I have a direct connection to my stereo. Now if I want to listen to MP3's, all I have to do is change the source to REAR AUX. Just one more reason why I'm glad I got the Malibu Maxx instead of the G6.
....i guess the difference in the malibu maxx and a G6 is that the G6 was made to DRIVE and the malibu maxx is like a drive-in on wheels. i'll still take my G6, thank you.....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts