Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'm mixed.

I don't like paying 6.00 for the soap. The machine only works with the Mr. Clean Soap; it'll clog if it's not the Mr. Clean stuff.

I also don't like paying 6.00 for the filter that I get five uses out of, even though it says ten.

When its new (filter), your car will dry 90% spot free if it's black, probably more if its not black. Don't expect miracles if the sun is shining down on it, though.

As far as I'm concerned, there is no such thing as a 100% self-drying, unless you dry it yourself, which makes it not self drying :).

·
Registered
585 Posts
bigbengt67 said:
Personally I think this is a wussy way to clean your car. I like to touch it and make sure its really clean, nothing beats towel drying your car. But my brother bought it and he says it works alright. Not my style though.
I use it because in california the sun is always shining and by the time you dry one side of the car the other side is already dry with spots, and the side that you just dried with a towel has all kinds of lint unless you use a microfiber towel, which is just smearing the water around until it dries which still leaves a film of calcium on the paint. Oh, and it does work with other brand of soaps, it just doesn't foam very much, but it still works. It's better that putting you hands in a bucket of soap, and putting dirt back on your car. Also, i haven't ever bought a new filter, i'm still using the the one that came with the kit, and i havn't had any spots yet. To each their own though.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought it and used it one time did not like it i like to be more hands on and i found it did not do a verry good job on bird #/*/*$##

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm going to buy some to try. I think I would use it a lot for when I just want to a quick wash/rinse, still sounds cheaper in the long run than running it through a wash. I can still get my hands dirty whenever I want to detail it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Just remember that you still should use a sponge...the soap doesn't always take all the shit off the car.

It works well when the filters are new, but they don't last long.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mr. Clean Auto Dry

It's alright. I used it on my red Grand Am and it made the car look fairy nice and shiny. As for no water spots, that's not true, you do need to towel off the spots that don't dry within 5 minutes or else you'll get some. I like to use Mr. Clean when I only have 10-15 minutes to wash the car, otherwise I do it the old fashioned way and towel dry.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I go across town to hand wash my cars at a wand-type place. I then use the spot free rinse. Then, 1/4 block away, I get on the interstate and blow-dry rhe ship out of it at 90-100 mph on the way back to town. Works great- very few spots...

·
Registered
216 Posts
That's why I drive 10 miles out, so there is less traffic for my wind tunnel spot-free hellride. There are several closer ones, and the one I go to is in a very bad part of town (think "Deliverance"), but the things we do for love...

·
Registered
314 Posts
mphred said:
I go across town to hand wash my cars at a wand-type place. I then use the spot free rinse. Then, 1/4 block away, I get on the interstate and blow-dry rhe ship out of it at 90-100 mph on the way back to town. Works great- very few spots...
That's an ideal way to do it. You may have a few streaky water spots, but it's nothing a bottle of quick spray on wipe off detailer and a microfiber cloth can't take out in a mist.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yeah, that's exactly what I do. Loving how easy it is to keep the Granite Metallic color clean. And I love the painted wheels- really easy to keep clean, unlike my BMW that will brobably need to be bead blasted to get ALL the brake dust off of them... I hate that car, sometimes... For all the great press it gets, I have a lot more "little complaints" about it design-wise than the G6, the stuff that drives you nuts... Oh well, another forum, another time I guess

·
Registered
75 Posts
My experience with the Mr. Clean auto carwash was mixed good and bad. I think that it cleans really well (allthough you still need to hand scrub it). And the spot free rinse works but heres the problem I see, the filters that take the minerals out of the water dont last very long at all, and if you live in a hard water town like I do, they go even faster. The other down side is that to make sure you get off all the regular water you really need to go over it twice with the filtered water. I think its a decent product but I wont be buying replacement soap/filters, its a gimmick to sell accessories to me, ill be sticking with the sopy water bucket and hand dry system. :(

·
Registered
86 Posts
Johns77 said:
My experience with the Mr. Clean auto carwash was mixed good and bad. I think that it cleans really well (allthough you still need to hand scrub it). And the spot free rinse works but heres the problem I see, the filters that take the minerals out of the water dont last very long at all, and if you live in a hard water town like I do, they go even faster. The other down side is that to make sure you get off all the regular water you really need to go over it twice with the filtered water. I think its a decent product but I wont be buying replacement soap/filters, its a gimmick to sell accessories to me, ill be sticking with the sopy water bucket and hand dry system. :(
i have heard you can get similar results by using a little Jet-Dry in a bucket of water to rinse your car off. all the additive in the Mr. Clean thing does is lower surface tension of the water molecules so that they slide off the car more easily and Jet-Dry will accomplish basically the same thing. that is what some dealerships do when they wash the cars on the lot.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts