Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
2008 Sedan 3.5L V6
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if there was any way to just add a tip to the current exhaust system. not change the exhaust, just have the tip be chrome and a bigger diameter. and if so, how big is the hole for the muffler tip, is it 4"?

·
Slick Black Pontiac
151 Posts
Sure you can add a chromed exhaust tip.

There are several options available at most auto parts stores.

I've got one that the previous owner added... along with the high performance muffler he installed too.

There are several methods of attaching exhaust tips, depending on how big they are. For smaller (length) tips I'd recommend welding because otherwise people will see the connectors. for longer tips, you can slip them farther up the exhaust pipe and connect them with the included hardware or a simple exhaust clamp.

Some exhaust tips I've seen include a sort of bolt-on clamp. I'm not convinced that these are the best because I've seen a lot of them on the side of roads where they fell off.

The other type has self drilling screws that you drive into the existing exhaust system using a drill.

these seem to hold on better but can have the effect of adding a whistle to your exhaust sound if they catch the exhaust gasses wrong, also, drilling into the exhaust makes it rust faster.

I think that the best method is welding because it keeps it from coming loose like a clamp, or prematurely rusting/whistling like the screw method.

I mentioned the exhaust clamp method earlier. I've seen some tips that were quite long, (on a truck) that were put on with simple u-bolt style exhaust assembly clamps. They looked good on the truck but knowing how much room you DON't have in back of the muffler, I'm not sure I'd go with these on a G6.

As to the diameter of the tip, I wouldn't go with anything over 3 1/2 inches at the outlet for two reasons. 1. Anything bigger might get too close to the bumper cover and melt it. 2. Anything bigger would look goofy. Of course this is all up to personal preference. Hope this helps.

·
2008 Sedan 3.5L V6
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for all the info, ill have to check out the local auto shops and see what they have in stock

1 - 3 of 3 Posts