Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the exhaust note of my G6 when I really get on it, but during normal acceleration the car is too quiet! (I quess this is a good complaint then hehe..) Anyways, I would like to put in a new muffler that gives more sound under acceleration, but is just as or almost as quiet as the stock muffler while cruising. Here is the part where I get picky. I don't want something that is too grumbly, like a redneck truck or anything, and I don't want too ricey, like a weedwacker flying down the street. I love the stock exhaust notes of cars like the Nissan 350Z, Infinity FX35/45, Audi TT, Dodge SRT4, and many more. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
220 Posts
The resonator is what really keeps the car quiet. You could either get a Magnaflow muffler which will give it a slight mellow rumble, or just remove the resonator and keep your stock muffler in place which will make it slight louder also. Or you could do both and sound like the older Beretta's, Lumina's, and Cavalier Z24's since the 3500 is nothing more than a newer version of the old 2.8, 3.1, 3100, 3400, you get the picture.

·
Registered
220 Posts
The resonator is between the cat and the muffler. If you look under your car where the backseat is, it's that three foot long "mini glasspack." While your under there, look at the huge ass muffler itself, 29 inches long, and get this, the inlet pipe goes directly in the midle of it! Very wierd if I say so myself. I thought it would be a nice easy job to put an F-body dual tipped outlet muffler on, but with that middle inlet the whole thing has to be custom from the cat or resonator back. The G6 is not upgrade friendly to say the least!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I just won a stainless steel Magnaflow muffler and a stainless tip on eBay for $66 and will be putting it on as soon as it arives.

·
Registered
2 Posts
the car should sound really good without the resonator. I would do the resonator first and if you still want more noise or a deeper rumble then go to mufflers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
What can be said about getting Flowmasters put on? And can anyone give a detailed description on how to take the resonator off?

·
Registered
423 Posts
i want to put 'duals' on mine.....any ideas WHERE i might find a listing? i've searched the 'normal' websites, but no G6 applications.

help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :confused:

·
Registered
585 Posts
I would be interested to hear the difference in the stock muffler and an after market magnaflow or flowmaster. If anybody could get a recording of the before and after that would be awesome.

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,352 Posts
I dont think you can do a dual exhaust but I am working on a Y exhaust
right now. The GTP back facia fits the GT and it has cut outs for the dual exhaust.
3 screws per side then the clips on the bottom. About 5 of em.

Now I need to decide how to do it underneath....

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
You guys should check out my exhaust. I have a y-pipe after the resonator, and that's it. No muffler, no restrictions after the resonator. It sounds like a Mustang GT does basically. Not loud until you give it any kind of gas, and a rumble when you let off the throttle. The performance increase is amazing. I would estimate and easy 15hp. BTW, the tips are 3.5" rolled chrome anglecut tips.

Included is a pic of the GTP rear fascia installed on the stock G6 exhaust also.

I have an SE with every mod out there so far, and am waiting to have my new springs installed to drop it 1.7"s all around.

I've got the intake, CArbonfiber interior and exterior, ceramic coated engine covers and exhaust shields, chrome 17"s from the GTs. GTP rear fascia, underground lighting kit, speaker system, HID lighting, and more.

Here's how you get the resonator off. Step 1. Let the car cool down. Step 2. Plug in reciprocating saw. Step 3. Apply saw to exhaust and repeat as needed. Aside from that you have to unbolt the exhaust after the cats and un hang the muffler then cut the muffler off and pull the whole exhaust out. Not the easiest thing to do, but quite barbaric. There is no easy way, since the pipes were welded in place.

I also paid $67 for my fascia, and that is the going price....congrats on getting a hook up to get it for 44.50.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Psykostevo,
Can you give some details on the tips you have? The tips on my GTP are WAY too small for my taste. What kind are they, and how much?
Thanks!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Psykostevo said:
You guys should check out my exhaust. I have a y-pipe after the resonator, and that's it. No muffler, no restrictions after the resonator. It sounds like a Mustang GT does basically. Not loud until you give it any kind of gas, and a rumble when you let off the throttle. The performance increase is amazing. I would estimate and easy 15hp. BTW, the tips are 3.5" rolled chrome anglecut tips.

Included is a pic of the GTP rear fascia installed on the stock G6 exhaust also.

I have an SE with every mod out there so far, and am waiting to have my new springs installed to drop it 1.7"s all around.

I've got the intake, CArbonfiber interior and exterior, ceramic coated engine covers and exhaust shields, chrome 17"s from the GTs. GTP rear fascia, underground lighting kit, speaker system, HID lighting, and more.

Here's how you get the resonator off. Step 1. Let the car cool down. Step 2. Plug in reciprocating saw. Step 3. Apply saw to exhaust and repeat as needed. Aside from that you have to unbolt the exhaust after the cats and un hang the muffler then cut the muffler off and pull the whole exhaust out. Not the easiest thing to do, but quite barbaric. There is no easy way, since the pipes were welded in place.

I also paid $67 for my fascia, and that is the going price....congrats on getting a hook up to get it for 44.50.
....to paraphrase the Dodge Ram Hemi commercials......."SWEET"!!!!!!!!!!!
did you have the 'y' pipe custom made or is there an aftermarket part available? I HAVE TO GET THIS DONE....NOW!!!!

AND, you have the 'CarbonFiber' interior pieces too? any pics of them? i tried to see them at my local dealer, but they didn't have them in stock and they hod no pictures yet. i'm not laying down that kind of $$ without knowing if i even like them. what all is involved with installation?

ALSO, i just put on the GM Accessory VentVisors (PN 17800852 for the sedan) on mine this past weekend and for those of you complaining about the 'buffeting' with the rear windows down, it helps alot, but doesn't entirely go away.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The y-pipe was custom made, and only cost around $70. The tips were $25 a piece and I purchased them from Promuffler in Arizona. They may have a website. There is no brand stamping on them, but they are sweet. And at 3.5"s they really fill up the gaps.

I do not have audio clips, because I do not know how to do that. Anyone know how to do it easily, and would it really do the sound justice.

The carbon fiber kit is awesome, and mine comes with way more parts than the dealers, and was about half as much. I paid around $250 for the interior and exterior kit. I'll post some pics.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts