Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a small accident in my 2007 G6 Hardtop Convertible I drove the front end into a shallow swale that damaged the front of the car and broke the radiator. Since then I have had the radiator replaced by the dealership 4 times. They insist that they have used 4 brand new radiators 3 from Pontiac and one off brand aftermarket. The 4th NEW radiator has failed; all begin to leak terribly in the left bottom corner of the radiator (Facing the car).
Other shops have looked at it and said they doubt that the dealership in question has actually replaced the radiator 4 times but I have no reason other than the continued blown radiators and the fact that they all failed at the same spot on each NEW radiator. Now the 4th radiator has failed, the GM of the dealership claims this is an inherent problem with the Pontiac G-6 but so far I have only found one other person who had to replace his radiator 2 times. This will be my 5th. The last time they returned the car the check engine light was on and the code is for a catalytic converter issue, but this light was not on before they replaced the last radiator, they told me it will go out after I drove it a bit, it has never gone out. So far nobody has found any reason that this car should have blown 4 radiators in a year, or why they all seem to leak from the same seam in the lower left bottom (Facing car).
The General Manager of the dealership that has worked on the car, seems to be saying that this is a GM problem that I have to fix before they will honor the warranty and replace the 4th bad radiator, has anyone else had this issue if so did you find out what was causing the radiators to fail???? PLEASE HELP

·
Registered
638 Posts
i had the replace the radiator 5-6 times in my 08 3.5 GT until the headgaskets were replaced..... and it had never been in an accident previous to that...............

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, did you have any smoke, or dirty antifreeze, or frothy oil from the bad gaskets? Other than the blown radiators did you have any other symptoms????
Other than this issue my car runs great, no smoke, clean oil and coolent.
Thanks for your input

·
Registered
638 Posts
no, never even had any milky oil, it was just damp around the head like most 3.5 and 3.9s are, and leaking directly into the cylinder, just enough to allow too much pressure in the cooling system blowing out the radiator tank/core seal but not enough to mix with the oil.......after replaceing the head gaskets myself since GM denied there was anything wrong, i had no problems and you could obviously see where the HG was bad..... the only other silution i had besides the headgaskets would be to have a custom all aluminum radiator fabricated to replace the stock on with since those plastic tanks are garbage

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks I appreciate your responses with no smoke and clean oil and clean coolent and no other running issues, including running the gas diffusion test nothing shows blown or leaking headgasket but like you said nobody can find ANYTHING wrong with the car engine other than a new gas smell in the oil but that isnt head gasket issue.
If anybody else has had this issue with multiple blown radiators with them all blowing a leak in the bottom left corner of the radiator (Facing the car). Every radiator has failed in the same place. 5th radiator being installed tomorrow.
Thanks Everyone

1 - 5 of 5 Posts