Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, its official, something is wrong with my car. It seems my car thinks one of my doors is open when they are all closed. I'm pretty sure its a bad switch in one of the latches. I'm getting it looked at on Thursday. I'm also getting a nagging headliner rattle fixed. I thought my car was going to go 20,000 miles without a major problem... guess not. I'll let you al know how it turns out.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have heard of a few - do you think it is the driver door (you would be able to tell because chime would go off with key in ignition and ignition off).

Much rain in your parts recently?

·
Registered
199 Posts
bigbengt67 said:
Well, its official, something is wrong with my car. It seems my car thinks one of my doors is open when they are all closed. I'm pretty sure its a bad switch in one of the latches. I'm getting it looked at on Thursday. I'm also getting a nagging headliner rattle fixed. I thought my car was going to go 20,000 miles without a major problem... guess not. I'll let you al know how it turns out.
I'm curious, do you have the pano roof or standard? The roof is the only place I dont have a rattle yet....knock on wood. :cool:

·
Registered
107 Posts
G6~Mike said:
I'm curious, do you have the pano roof or standard? The roof is the only place I dont have a rattle yet....knock on wood. :cool:
Really? My interior only makes a few rattles on really rough roads. Nothing "chronic." Of course, I'm only creeping up on 4k miles also, but I don't see a reason any of that should change.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Lucius said:
Really? My interior only makes a few rattles on really rough roads. Nothing "chronic." Of course, I'm only creeping up on 4k miles also, but I don't see a reason any of that should change.
Yeah, the good news is that I dont hear them with the radio on. I had the rattles creep up within a few weeks after buying the car. They havn't gotten better or worse in the last 14,000 miles so I'm not too worried about it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Rattles have started creeping up one me as well, and I'm only at 1200 miles. There's a particulary pesky little one in the headliner (I have the standard sunroof) Hopefully, I won't get any more.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
e2helper said:
I have heard of a few - do you think it is the driver door (you would be able to tell because chime would go off with key in ignition and ignition off).

Much rain in your parts recently?
Not the driver's door although I thought it would be since it gets used 99% of the time, there has been some rain lately. Have other cars experienced this too? The dealer didn't mention that it was common when I asked.

G6Mike, I've got the standard sunroof. I dropped the headliner myself last week to see what was going on up there, the motor is basically free to move up and down about an inch. There is a huge chunk of foam between the motor and the metal roof but nothing between the headliner and the motor. All the dealer has to do is stuff some foam in there and it should be fine.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I got it back today. Unfortunately the door ajar problem cleared itself upon the way to the dealer. Apparently there is an issue with false door ajar warnings, GM is working on it. They had to order some clips for my sunroof to stop the rattle, should take 3-4 days to come in and then I can schedule another appointment... On the good side, I got a free carwash out of it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Has anyone found a fix?

I have the door ajar problem on my 05 G6 GT. It has 60k on it so its not under warranty. I was just wondering if anyone has found the real problem and had it fixed. Can you let me know what you found so I can fix it my self. Thanks.

·
Registered
195 Posts
i just had the same exact problem on my 05 G6 ... it's one of the door locks because the door open/close sensor on G6 is inside the lock ... the way i figured it out was when you disconect the wires from the door the computer iliminates that door that you disconnected out of the system ... like you have 3 doors after you disconnected the wires ... so ... try unpluging the wires that go to the door ... start with the driver door because it's always the one that you use the most ... it's not too hard ... diconnect the wires and see if the light goes off ...

SOLUTION

1. You could probably try spraying lube into the lock and try to close and open the door a few times and see if the light goes off ... but that's probably not gonna help

2. Replace the door lock (AFTER YOU'VE DETERMINED WHICH ONE IT IS) ... that's what i did ... replaced the driver door lock ... the light went off ...

love my job ... we have plenty parts G6 there ... i can just "borrow" stuff when i need to :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks Daygon. I did figure out it is the drivers door. I take it you mean the latch assembly when you say "lock". That is where all the wires plug into. Ill get one and replace it and see how it goes.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thanks Daygon. I did figure out it is the drivers door. I take it you mean the latch assembly when you say "lock". That is where all the wires plug into. Ill get one and replace it and see how it goes.
yeah :) ... i meant latch ... at work we call them locks cuz i'm working with russians and english is my second language ... in russian lock and latch are the same thing ... :) so ...

·
Registered
1 Posts
i just had the same exact problem on my 05 G6 ... it's one of the door locks because the door open/close sensor on G6 is inside the lock ... the way i figured it out was when you disconect the wires from the door the computer iliminates that door that you disconnected out of the system ... like you have 3 doors after you disconnected the wires ... so ... try unpluging the wires that go to the door ... start with the driver door because it's always the one that you use the most ... it's not too hard ... diconnect the wires and see if the light goes off ...

SOLUTION

1. You could probably try spraying lube into the lock and try to close and open the door a few times and see if the light goes off ... but that's probably not gonna help

2. Replace the door lock (AFTER YOU'VE DETERMINED WHICH ONE IT IS) ... that's what i did ... replaced the driver door lock ... the light went off ...

love my job ... we have plenty parts G6 there ... i can just "borrow" stuff when i need to :)

Hey, I hope people are still looking at this thread, this problem has been driving me nuts for months. If I use the RKE and walk 20 feet from my car the damn alarm goes off because of this problem.

The techs at the dealership charged me $75 to tell me that it was probably not the drivers door, the computer was saying it was one of the other three...which are all apparently on the same something (breaker, switch, sensor???) and they cant be sure which of the other 3 doors it is.

Are you saying that they are feeding me garbage to just take my money for an X hour repair job?

Can you explain the Door/wires thing a bit more for me please? Like what do you mean by "the computer iliminates that door that you disconnected out of the system ... like you have 3 doors after you disconnected the wires "?

Do I need to have a computer plugged in to see what it's telling me?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just insanely frustrated by this problem and the dealership. :beer::beer:

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hey, I hope people are still looking at this thread, this problem has been driving me nuts for months. If I use the RKE and walk 20 feet from my car the damn alarm goes off because of this problem.

The techs at the dealership charged me $75 to tell me that it was probably not the drivers door, the computer was saying it was one of the other three...which are all apparently on the same something (breaker, switch, sensor???) and they cant be sure which of the other 3 doors it is.

Are you saying that they are feeding me garbage to just take my money for an X hour repair job?

Can you explain the Door/wires thing a bit more for me please? Like what do you mean by "the computer iliminates that door that you disconnected out of the system ... like you have 3 doors after you disconnected the wires "?

Do I need to have a computer plugged in to see what it's telling me?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just insanely frustrated by this problem and the dealership. :beer::beer:

Thanks,
Steve
i meant that when you disconnect the wires from either the door or if you removed the door cover you can disconnect it from the latch itself ... as soon as you disconnect the wires the computer will not be able to see if that door is open or not because the wires are disconnected ... when you disconnect them it will illiminate is out of it's system ... it will think that it's not there anymore

here are your doors when they're closed
front
[ ]
[ ]

when the computer thinks that one if open it's like this
front
/ ]
[ ]
it doesn't have to be the driver's door ... it could be anyone ... so ... if the "door ajar" goes away when you disconnect it it'll look like this
front
]
[ ]

that's basicaly how the computer sees it

the driver door isn't there anymore because you disconnected the wires ... so if that's the door that has the bad latch the "door ajar" light will go away ... if it goes away then it's the latch you need to replace ... if it doesn't then try that with all the doors ... start with the front ...

hope that helped

·
Registered
5 Posts
So... does anyone know where the switch in the door is.... in every other car I've owned it's just a little button that depresses when door is closed. Can find no such button.... weird....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts