Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,

Now that I've got the car back from the dealership, I thought I'd post some pictures of it. I know that I suck at camera work. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I wouldn't say you suck at the camera work. I've liked all the shots of your G6 that you've posted. But then again any shot of the coupe looks good! Keep up the good work and happy driving!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I still haven't decided whether or not to buy a G6 Coupe. Your pictures really show off the poor quality of the paint. -1 for the G6....

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am not an expert, but I am a betting man and I'd say the reason the black looks a bit blue would be the blue sky reflecting in the glossy paint. The black is a great color on the G6, just don't count the car out because of a picture or two.

·
Registered
64 Posts
A picture doesn't really do justice for the coupe. You have to actually see it to believe it, I look at my coupe in pictures and doesn't look half as good as it does in real life.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jp375 said:
I still haven't decided whether or not to buy a G6 Coupe. Your pictures really show off the poor quality of the paint. -1 for the G6....
It really does show off the orange peel. All the other problems are because the car is dirty, and the dealership did a crappy job of detailing the car before they gave it back to me. I was actually taking chunks of wax off of it this morning with my fingers.

I'm going to go to The Barber's Chair in the mall today and get some Zaino products. I've seen Zaino get rid of the orange peel look. Now, why a barber shop is selling Zaino, I don't know, but it's the genuine thing.

BTW, it's very sunny and 13 degrees celcius today. Normal temperatures at this time of year are closer to -10. I could have had better pictures if there was some clouds.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yeah, I should have been more specific. The orange peel is what has me concerned. It is VERY noticeable in the pictures. Don't get me wrong, the G6 coupes are stunning, but I'm still concerned about the overall quality. The fact that GM lets paint like that even get out the factory door doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the rest of their craftsmanship.

·
Registered
557 Posts
^ Dude, it's a black car. I don't care who makes the vehicle, black is the hardest color to make perfect. I've had one black Pontiac and a black Acura both showed scratches and swirls the exact same way. I babied the hell out of them too; washes once a week and waxing every 8 weeks or so. Now I've had an orange car for a year and have waxed it only twice because it looks great with no extra care. You don't buy a black car and expect it to look great without time and effort.

·
Registered
80 Posts
bigbengt67 said:
^ Dude, it's a black car. I don't care who makes the vehicle, black is the hardest color to make perfect. I've had one black Pontiac and a black Acura both showed scratches and swirls the exact same way. I babied the hell out of them too; washes once a week and waxing every 8 weeks or so. Now I've had an orange car for a year and have waxed it only twice because it looks great with no extra care. You don't buy a black car and expect it to look great without time and effort.
What!? What the hell are you talking about? The orange peel has nothing to do with the problems associated wtih keeping black paint looking good. Its a DEFECT. It shouldn't be there no matter what the color. Scratches and swirls are a given on black, but NOT the orange peel affect.

·
Registered
80 Posts
GTPGuy82 said:
Wow you don't even notice the orange peel unless you're like, 5cm from the car staring at it lol. In person a black G6 coupe is the sexiest looking car on the road!

Mike

I guess you just have very low standards of quality. Must be the same type of people actually building the cars....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Wow, I think we're getting a little low with this topic. Golden rule #1: if you don't have anything nice to say...don't say anything at all. Golden rule #2:...love the G6.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Orange peel comes from the way the factory paints its cars... My RX7 was black with a body kit on it and we spent a week wetsanding the car and buffing it out and it looked like glass... You can pay a bodyshop to wetsand and buff your car for you (may cost some money) but they will be able to remove orange peel for you. Look at cars that have be repaired in black, if the bodyshop took its time there should be no orange peel! When I worked at a Caddy dealer a while back, almost every black caddy we got in they sent out to be wetsanded and buffed because people complained about orange peel, when it came back... NOTHING!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
This is going to sound really dumb, but what is orange peel? Something to do with the primer showing through the final paint coat?? Never heard of this, but then again I've never had a black car. "mamma always said black cars are hard to keep clean and hot in the summer time" lol...anyway.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I seriously doubt it's a defect. It's the way Pontiac paints their cars. I heard even GTOs look like that. If you don't like it then go pay $3000 to have your car repainted, or don't buy Pontiacs.

EDIT: now that I think about it it might just be black paint. Here's an Infiniti G35 coupe:

I'll try to find some more later.

Mike

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
CentralG6Coupe said:
This is going to sound really dumb, but what is orange peel? .
Orange peel is the little bumps you can see in the paint. It looks kind of like the skin of an orange.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Orange peel is getting common these days on brand new cars. I was visiting a Pontiac dealership last year and noticed most G6s have orange peel paint and mis-aligned body panels. Of all the Epilson cars GM builds, the G6 has the lowest initial quality. Since the G6 is to be the icon and the comeback car for Pontiac, they are trying their best to correct the problem. GM partially tried to blame the American workers here saying that the workmanship was substantially below that of their European factories.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Body shops commonly refer to orange peel as fat ladies ass syndrom lol.... I have some on my crimson red but its not that noticable... black is the most horrid color to have when it comes to this, but I'm telling you a good wetsand and buff by a PROFESSIONAL, (not some punk at a detail shop witha buffer in hand) can remove it, its not even the basecoat of the paint, its a texture in the clearcoat when its sprayed over the base!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts