Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a jump on the spring season and as my old GT rims were less than stellar (one rim could no longer be balanced when I lost a tire last fall, another succumbed to corrosion at the bead and wouldn't hold air for more than 2 days) I decided to pick up a new set of rims and tires. As the car is going on 8 years old I stuck to a low budget and decided on some Kumho tires and the new Touren TR60 rims are 2lbs lighter than the stock chrome GT wheels.

I went with 16" at 215/60R16, vs the stock 17". I've never been a fan of chrome anyway. I figure it'll help keep costs in check as I plan to throw some highway miles on the car this summer. Should it snow, I'll just have to use the other car that still has the winter tires on it! The last photo shows one of my old OEM GT rims.

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
So why did you go down a rim size?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In my area alone a few bridges have heaved slightly and the asphalt has curled up into these 3-4" tall flat walled speed bumps. Two months now and the county hasn't done crap to fix it. That's on top of the potholes that reappear as the city fills them with that granular asphalt and they don't press/roll it. The city workers hand stamp it so it's lucky to last a week. One of my OEM GT wheel beads was bent due to a slew of unavoildable pot holes. I managed to get an alignment done at the city's expense but they won't pay for damage as it's considered normal 'wear and tear' for this area. I haven't put many miles on the cars this winter. I took the mpg hit and have been driving my Durango more as it at least can soak up the holes with ease. As my office is downtown I can't but not find a road that isn't strewn with pot holes.

If I could fit 15" wheels on over the brakes, I would have picked them up instead of the 16's. My old stock 50 series sidewalls were taking a beating and I lost two tires before they were even 50% worn due to sidewall mumps from road irregularities. Hopefully these 60 series sidewalls will at least make it to the wear bars without any issues!

I couldn't imagine running 30 series sidewalls on my GT up here. I wouldn't be able to get above 15mph. The highway at least is well maintained and it has very few potholes, unfortunately I commute downtown, ha. Just to avoid some of the hole ridden roads, I've been driving out of my way to get to work utilizing several side streets which aren't as badly beaten up, but still require plenty of repair work.

As my R/T is showing it's age, I'll knowingly use my G6 to run down to Florida this year. The skinny 215 summer tires should help with mileage/range a bit too.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now that I have 800km on the tires (and rims) I'm proud to report that the ride is much more compliant over the rough roads and even using the autostick I'm up roughly 1.5mpg with a mix of highway/city driving to 23.5mpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts