1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
Cant see images

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
Yep. That looks amazing. How did you do the ECOTEC logo? What kind of paint and method?

·
Fly like a G6
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used my signature technique of using play dough lol. I filled in the grooves and let it harden a bit. Then I used a can of Krylon spray paint from walmart. It is a paint for plastics. It matched close enough to my car. I did the sweeping method, doing only light coats so I wouldn't have any runs in the paint.

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
Yeah it looks a little light. Have you considered putting clear coat on it?

·
Fly like a G6
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah it looks a little light. Have you considered putting clear coat on it?
Yea I think that's what I'm going to do with it. I thought about finding some paint that is an exact match for my car online and spraying it again as well as the grey trim pieces inside the car.

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
Yea I think that's what I'm going to do with it. I thought about finding some paint that is an exact match for my car online and spraying it again as well as the grey trim pieces inside the car.
Go with AutomotiveTouchup for finding the right color. They sell spray cans that are the cheapest (or on par) price I could find.

Make sure when you paint the trim pieces:
-Sand first (don't use less than 200 grit)
-Use a primer that matches the color of your basecoat
-Get a heavy duty clear coat enamel
-Let it dry for a few days before installing

I learned all this the hard way personally. My trim kit now has scratches from 60 grit sandpaper, a rust red primer, easily scratched clear coat, and the paint was still drying after a day or two and was messed up while installing (mainly the shifter plate).

·
Fly like a G6
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Go with AutomotiveTouchup for finding the right color. They sell spray cans that are the cheapest (or on par) price I could find.

Make sure when you paint the trim pieces:
-Sand first (don't use less than 200 grit)
-Use a primer that matches the color of your basecoat
-Get a heavy duty clear coat enamel
-Let it dry for a few days before installing

I learned all this the hard way personally. My trim kit now has scratches from 60 grit sandpaper, a rust red primer, easily scratched clear coat, and the paint was still drying after a day or two and was messed up while installing (mainly the shifter plate).
Oh I know what you mean...I never use tough grit sandpaper on my plastics. I usually use real fine grit like 300 first then a finer grit afterwards. I always use clear coating on interior trim pieces since I will be touching them a lot and the "paint" feel is just nasty. I like using primers that don't have much color to them. ;) Thanks for the tips man!

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
Get some new rims and get rid of that pin stripe. :)

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I don't know what it is but I've never seen a pin stripe on a G6 that actually looked good and made flowed well with the body line. I agree in saying, remove it. haha

New wheels would be a good step too.
And I'd say... LOWER IT! haha
The stance will look WAY better. plus a lowered car can pull of a lot more exterior modifications then a silly tall one.

But going on what you originally posted. I like the painted pieces, Looks good actually seeing it from a bit of a distance with the cars body in view. I didn't know the base 2.4 came with different engine covers. My engine cover and intake was all one piece... Needless to say it's gone now! lol

·
Fly like a G6
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea new rims are in the works, I just have to find ones that I like and that aren't over priced. I need to start saving now lol. The pin stripe does bother me and I figured there was a how-to on here but have been to busy to look or even do much of anything to the car. I was thinking something in the way of black rims but idk yet. Black on blue always looked good to me. As for lowered well it already feels like I'm riding on the ground haha and I'm used to a Trailblazer that is way up off the ground, so it's not likely I'll lower it any. Thanks for the suggestions guys....

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
heres a how-to to remove the stripes I found on this forum.
http://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11299
But really, if you just google it you'll find videos and links all over the place.

As for the wheels I did a cheapo wheel mod. I removed the hub caps. The steels underneath are 5 spokes and you can paint those. I painted mine and added a red stripe around the edge, Came out nice, Also got some new lug nuts to complete the look. I like it but it is still unmistakably a steel stock wheel. haha

And I hear ya on the lowering, I just like to throw it out there haha

·
Fly like a G6
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Gotta love them Electric Blue G6es!! :beer:

Looks great! :cool:
Yea they are some beauty's

heres a how-to to remove the stripes I found on this forum.
http://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11299
But really, if you just google it you'll find videos and links all over the place.

As for the wheels I did a cheapo wheel mod. I removed the hub caps. The steels underneath are 5 spokes and you can paint those. I painted mine and added a red stripe around the edge, Came out nice, Also got some new lug nuts to complete the look. I like it but it is still unmistakably a steel stock wheel. haha

And I hear ya on the lowering, I just like to throw it out there haha
Yea I had already looked at that thread actually haha and I plan on doing it when I can get around to it. I work 12 hour shifts so I don't have much time to do stuff. I had the thought of painting the stock steel wheels too lol. I kinda like the look with the rim covers off and was thinking of painting them black. I figure I'll just get some better rims...rockstar style or something different. Yea I am still getting used to the shock of going from the Trailhopper to this...feels like my ass is scooting across the ground

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
haaha yea I bet. I know how it is not having any time to get anything done. So lame, here's a close up of my wheels in case u were interested...

·
Fly like a G6
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I like that, looks unique, original. That's the cheapest way to get it to look good lol! I bet you're thinking "those sap suckers who spend over $1000 for rims" lol

1 - 20 of 27 Posts