Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yup, I went ahead and made my version of a CAI with some items I already had in my garage. Sure my intake looks almost like all the others out there, but I move my MAF to a "cooler" location. So it would always read colder and more condensed air...via "no heat soak"... (*keep in mind that I was going to use that air filter for one of my other cars*) Ill stop talking and show you pics...

·
Premium Member
5,356 Posts
Instead of using the plumbing isle at Home Depot for your 90
look elsewhere as it bottlenecks down 1/2" on its connector.

I liked your cab better....

·
Banned
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
But the CAB doesnt make any sense unless you have a ram air hood. I still ran into the heat soak issues.....sorry man. Yes my intake is Ghetto, but its functional and I love it. Lowes CAI....FTW!!!

I dont really care too much about the 90 degree bend. It is what it is....i guess. Just saving some money here... :lol:

*actually this intake starts with a 4" tubing then tapers down to a 3" thru the MAF, then 2.5" 90 Degree bend, and finally back to 3" the rest of the way.....So yeah my intake is all messed up, but it works very well. In the future Ill work on get the same diameter piping.*

·
Premium Member
5,356 Posts
I monitor my IAT via a Dashhawk. Ive run a Stage 3 fenderwell and a CAB and there
is no performance difference.
Moving your MAF inside the cab will have an indiscernable difference
but lengthening it into the fenderwell negates the benefits by your extra 2 foot of intake tubing.

Anyways....Make sure you filter is on good an tight so it doesnt fall off with the shaking
it will be doing. That is a real problem too...with the fenderwell design on the G6-
Im not trying to scare you.

Cudos for saving a buck...

·
Premium Member
5,356 Posts
you kidden? That stuff works great to tunnel air! :D
Its like a mandrel bent pipe!!

If you cant afford the hood-
I think you would have been better served raming your air to your
CAB (unless you sold it). Its an easy and cheap mod to do. Just clicky here to see.

It keeps your pipe shorter with no 2.5" squeeze while pressurizing your box.
ITS ALLLLL GOOD .....and a cheap do it yourself! :beer:

·
Banned
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

CAB (unless you sold it). Its an easy and cheap mod to do. Just clicky here to see.

Umm... your DIY setup..

1. too much work...
2. probably costs WAY more than what I did.
3. i dont think it matters how long the intake tubing is...Ive seem some wilder and longer DIY setups.
4. The setup you came up with has something sticking out of the bottom of the car....(not purty) and it requires cutting of the car...:eek:
5. I moved the MAF so that I can prevent Heat Soak...thats mainly it.
6. My setup looks kinda stock....and I like that...;)

Your CAB is awsome man, but I just see things differently I suppose. :rolleyes:

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
Since I don't have any CAI mods I can't really comment on the discussion you and Lampoon are having but I do have one question about the set up I'm looking at; Will you have to remove the front end assembly when ever you need to get the filter?

(It is a nice set up, BTW)

·
Premium Member
5,356 Posts
Umm... your DIY setup..

1. too much work...
2. probably costs WAY more than what I did.
3. i dont think it matters how long the intake tubing is...Ive seem some wilder and longer DIY setups.
4. The setup you came up with has something sticking out of the bottom of the car....(not purty) and it requires cutting of the car...:eek:
5. I moved the MAF so that I can prevent Heat Soak...thats mainly it.
6. My setup looks kinda stock....and I like that...;)

Your CAB is awsome man, but I just see things differently I suppose. :rolleyes:
Lets see....

1. Your right!!! lol...but the gains are awesome and well worth it.

2. I already had the spray paint and nuts and bolts and the pvc pipe
laying around. Also used spare metal from the garage.
I had to buy the flex pipe. $2.95 and I had to buy the two caps which were like $1.50 each. So $6 out of pocket for me. Even if you dont have all the parts a 10' section of pipe is like $5 and the metal cant be that much.

3. Just cause you have SEEN longer intake tubing does not mean you can conclude therefore it must be ok. Just think about it. When you suck your soda through a straw what is easier and takes less effort? A large short straw.

4. Ive had nothing but compliments & as for the cutting.....your picture above shows you cut up your car so I cant really see that as being a
point with you. So :eek: right back at ya.

5. Good idea. :D

6. Your setup does not look stock. Maybe the paint does it or the missing BOX or.....well.....It doesnt look stock. :p

Look.....there are so many people who come on here who view it as a challenge or a personal front that someone did something to their car and they didnt come up with it, so they search for a better or different way or want to be unique. Thats great. Knock yourself out.
Just dont dog em. You attack my cab saying it makes no sense when you really dont know what your talking about plus how you did it isnt better but I already addressed that.

All I did was point out how to make yours better. (remember? Use 3" mandrel pipe on your turn)

I was excited to see you over here since you got banned from the other G6 site but now Im not so sure... :frown:

And Mike- You shouldnt have to pull the fascia but you will have to pull the headlight. Unless you got a big filter that wont fit through that opening then its either jacking it up and pulling off the bottom of the car or the fascia. ;)

If you do pull the headlight I recommend taping the bumper up under the headlight or you will scratch up your paint and that area is very noticeable & it will look like crap.

let me end my reply by saying I welcome constructive criticism...really....but come on.

·
Banned
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Lets see....

1. Your right!!! lol...but the gains are awesome and well worth it.

2. I already had the spray paint and nuts and bolts and the pvc pipe
laying around. Also used spare metal from the garage.
I had to buy the flex pipe. $2.95 and I had to buy the two caps which were like $1.50 each. So $6 out of pocket for me. Even if you dont have all the parts a 10' section of pipe is like $5 and the metal cant be that much.

3. Just cause you have SEEN longer intake tubing does not mean you can conclude therefore it must be ok. Just think about it. When you suck your soda through a straw what is easier and takes less effort? A large short straw.

4. Ive had nothing but compliments & as for the cutting.....your picture above shows you cut up your car so I cant really see that as being a
point with you. So :eek: right back at ya.

5. Good idea. :D

6. Your setup does not look stock. Maybe the paint does it or the missing BOX or.....well.....It doesnt look stock. :p

Look.....there are so many people who come on here who view it as a challenge or a personal front that someone did something to their car and they didnt come up with it, so they search for a better or different way or want to be unique. Thats great. Knock yourself out.
Just dont dog em. You attack my cab saying it makes no sense when you really dont know what your talking about plus how you did it isnt better but I already addressed that.

All I did was point out how to make yours better. (remember? Use 3" mandrel pipe on your turn)

I was excited to see you over here since you got banned from the other G6 site but now Im not so sure... :frown:

And Mike- You shouldnt have to pull the fascia but you will have to pull the headlight. Unless you got a big filter that wont fit through that opening then its either jacking it up and pulling off the bottom of the car or the fascia. ;)

If you do pull the headlight I recommend taping the bumper up under the headlight or you will scratch up your paint and that area is very noticeable & it will look like crap.

let me end my reply by saying I welcome constructive criticism...really....but come on.
Ok Lampoon....I didnt mean any disrespect. And I got banned for having a NSFW Avatar, thanks for bringing that up. :rolleyes:

Im def not going to win any arguements with ya since you know everything there is to know about intakes. So lets just leave it at that. Oh and btw all I said was that the cab doesnt make any sense...thats all. It sucks up hot air....My ghetto setup at least tricks my car to run better cause the sensor is at the point where the air is always cooler.... Cool air > Hot air

Your setup is probably 10 times better than mine, but I just cant have anything like that sticking out underneath my car. I scrape the plastic under there all the time (CMS Springs), I can only imagine busting up that intake scoop thing.... Also, YES I cut a small piece of plastic from my car, but it was only like an inch.

Look, I made my own version and I shared it with yall.... Now Im regretting that I did. :(

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
Look, I made my own version and I shared it with yall.... Now Im regretting that I did. :(
Don't regret it, other folks are looking at this post too. Its a good thread.
CAI is probably the most common modification of the G6 so ANY modified versions of the CAI are good to share. Shoot my version of the CAI is an ice cube in the air box.

This site isn't about who's right or wrong its about Technical Discussion & Modifications.

·
Premium Member
5,356 Posts
Instead of using the plumbing isle at Home Depot for your 90
look elsewhere as it bottlenecks down 1/2" on its connector.

I liked your cab better....
I was being contructive. I was not slamming you. Then you came back attacking the cold air box design. All I said was find a 90 that doesnt bottleneck down by half an inch. Lots of places sell aluminum pipe.
Get a 3" 90 then you would have a stage 3 fenderwell intake.

Performance wise it is equal to the CAB. Appearance wise....well.....thats another story....and yes....I KNOW ALLLLLLLLLLLL :D

·
Banned
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My bad Lampoon....I didnt really mean to dis your intake setup. I guess I must of read something the wrong way. Thats the sucky part about just typing stuff....you cant hear the way it was meant to be said....

I apoligize if I pissed you off man. Thanks for the info about the 3" 90 degree bend pipe, Ill be purchasing one this weekend. ;)

I dont know if it was me moving the MAF to the fender or what....cause on my road trip to TN, I got 36.2 miles per gallon....:eek: Ive never gotten close to that before, and I mostly drive all highway. I only had to fill up twice for a close to 900 mile trip. :D

·
Premium Member
5,356 Posts
Im sorry if I came off haughty ...So we good?? :cheers:

... I got 36.2 miles per gallon....:eek:
:eek:

Best I ever got was 34.5 and that was ALL highway going to Galveston for a cruise...that includes going through HOUSTON!!!! And that can be a nightmare!

I average 30.2 per tank and thats city and highway. Cant seem to brake 31 here lately. Its the traffic light curse! :mad:

·
Registered
159 Posts
since you put the filter in the fender, why didn't you go with a bigger cone? I'm sure the one provided with the CRABS flows nicely, but IMO a larger one will allow more air in at any given time (more filter surface area)...

As for the length of the piping, I doubt it will make a huge difference whether it is CAB or fender...if you think about it, the OEM intake resonator was in the fender. I want the CRABS because I eventually want a ram air hood. for now, i've been slowly but surely working on my homemade "tiger"(i'm using fiberglass instead of the aluminum). I am impatient, so the slow process of sanding bondo smooth drives me insane...i've got the rest all pieced together and I'm estimating mine to be around 15-20 dollars.

I hardly use my fogs, so I've been thinking about removing them. having just the driver side fog wouldn't look right...do the G6's that don't come equipped with fogs have covers that go over the holes for the fogs?

·
Registered
17 Posts
since you put the filter in the fender, why didn't you go with a bigger cone? I'm sure the one provided with the CRABS flows nicely, but IMO a larger one will allow more air in at any given time (more filter surface area)...

As for the length of the piping, I doubt it will make a huge difference whether it is CAB or fender...if you think about it, the OEM intake resonator was in the fender. I want the CRABS because I eventually want a ram air hood. for now, i've been slowly but surely working on my homemade "tiger"(i'm using fiberglass instead of the aluminum). I am impatient, so the slow process of sanding bondo smooth drives me insane...i've got the rest all pieced together and I'm estimating mine to be around 15-20 dollars.

I hardly use my fogs, so I've been thinking about removing them. having just the driver side fog wouldn't look right...do the G6's that don't come equipped with fogs have covers that go over the holes for the fogs?
I believe you can purchase the covers to cover the holes once you remove the fogs.

·
Registered
286 Posts

Damn Lampoon...your bloody brilliant!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.