Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im about to buy a 2006 g6 v6 within a week or 2, now the one i want has a motor problem and thats it, has 220,000kms. the exact problem with the motor is the 4th piston is blown. So i was wondering if i should rebuild it or. I know everyone it seems is against swapping, but swapping the motor to a 3.5l out of a g6 gt, motor from the g6 gt is 600 dollars with very low miles on it. cost of rebuild, clueless aside from gaskets alone more then $180. Just wondering what route to take and if a gt motor in it will the transmission line right up with it and will it fit ok without having to make to many adjustments. thanks :)

·
Registered
638 Posts
the V6 and the GT have the exact same engine if they are the same model year.........why not just look for another G6 as there are plenty if you just look around autotrader and other places............

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
See i havent opened up the hood of the car yet and someone told me its a 2.4l engine, i woulda but i didt have the keys to open the car, the owner is cluless and since the car is a hour and ahalf away now next time i see it im getting it, so worst case senerio its a 2,4l, can i swap in a gt motor. And yes buying another one would be easyer but for less then $1500 i like this one :p

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for the confusion btw, i dont know what trim it is. All i know is its loaded and has a rear spoiler and only badgeing it has is the g6 no other, i just guessed it was a v6 sorry

·
Registered
638 Posts
sounds like its the 4cyl then, and id still look for another car, and its gonna cost you prob 3-4tims that 1500 to put in a different engine than the car came with, youll need a tuned ECM, reprogrammed BCM, new guage cluster, new fuel lines, new radiator, new wireing harness, a new powersteering rack that is hydraulic vs electric, a bunch of other odds and ends, and unless you change the trans, althp its the "same" model# as the V6 uses it will bolt up but the gear ratios will be so low you will be running about 3k rpms at 70-80mph like the 4cyl instead of the 2k like the vs and GT and wasteing a LOT of gas

also, i dont know about the one you found but most engines that you buy dont come complete, ie no alternator, now PS pump no ac compressor, no intake or exhaust manifolds etc..........

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe ill just rebuild it then. Iv rebuilt 2 3.8l supercharged out of a grand prixs so maybe i should just take that route, like redo all pistions and gaskets. although if its a v6 and not a 2.4l, would i still need to tune the ecm, need new fuel lines ect.?

thanks a ton :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts