Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 05 g6 radio died on me and I want to replace it with a factory radio. What I need to know is what radios will fit in my car? 2005-???? and does any other models have the same radio??

thanks you

·
Registered
8 Posts
does the gm part# matter cause i have an 06 (6 disc w/ graphics) but the one i ordered (single disc) had a different part# that I really didn't find the on internet.

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
Should plug and play just fine. Wished you bought my old radio out of my 06 G6 although it is monsoon. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
i would think the reason its got a different part number is because its a single disc versus the 6 disk.....what are the part numbers you have?
I haven't got the 6 disc out yet, but the one I bought is #15849574. My concern is that its not a monsoon and won't work. Is there a way to find out because taking everything apart?

Should plug and play just fine. Wished you bought my old radio out of my 06 G6 although it is monsoon. :)
If the part number thing is a problem I'll give you a shout.

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
If you have a Monsoon sound system, then you will want to replace it with a Monsoon headunit. The number of discs it holds shouldn't matter or the graphics it displays for its buttons.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you have a Monsoon sound system, then you will want to replace it with a Monsoon headunit. The number of discs it holds shouldn't matter or the graphics it displays for its buttons.
aww damn then, i heard someone put a monsoon in a non-monsoon vehicle and gm did the programming to make it work. I better just go down to the dealer.

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
aww damn then, i heard someone put a monsoon in a non-monsoon vehicle and gm did the programming to make it work. I better just go down to the dealer.
Well, I'd go ask the dealer since they probably know more than I do.

EDIT: Just checked with ALLDATA and you will have to get the new radio reprogrammed for your car. Whether that has to be monsoon or not, I don't know.

I would've gone safe with getting a Monsoon headunit, but go ask. Here are the wiring diagrams of both with and without monsoon.

http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/crutchfield.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=7065&p_created=1191016857&p_sid=gZ1PW8bk&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_srch=1&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTU4LDE1OCZwX3Byb2RzPSZwX2NhdHM9MCZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PXBvbnRpYWM!&p_li=&p_topview=1

http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/crutchfield.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=7064&p_created=1191016703&p_sid=MuADT_5j&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=5666&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9NCw0JnBfcHJvZHM9NDY5LDQ3Niw5MTcsNTAwOSw1MDgzJnBfY2F0cz0mcF9wdj01LjUwODMmcF9jdj0mcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=&p_topview=1

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, I'd go ask the dealer since they probably know more than I do.

EDIT: Just checked with ALLDATA and you will have to get the new radio reprogrammed for your car. Whether that has to be monsoon or not, I don't know.

I would've gone safe with getting a Monsoon headunit, but go ask. Here are the wiring diagrams of both with and without monsoon.
Got the radio in the car, went to the dealer today. Just as I expected they say their not sure if it will work, but not only about the monsoon but about the different style(6 disc to single disc). Plus a $100 bill for something they're not sure will work or not.

On that note I'll be looking for another shop with a Tech II. The radio I have could have come out a monsoon car, the seller just wasn't sure. But as of now it just reads "LOCKED".

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
That definitely involves reprogramming since the car doesn't recognize the radio so it's locked.

Keep me updated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Went to another gm service/dealer today and got the radio successfully unlocked. People were a lot more friendly and knew what they were doing. I didn't even tell them I was going from a 6 disc to a single disc. It ran me $86 after tax this time. My invoice reads "unlock and reprogram with tech II". . .. doesn't get more accurate than that. Thanks abyssul for all the input.

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
I love notes from tech, so useless i find. I wish they would tell you what was done. I guess they do but knowing how they did it would be cool haha

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
They pretty much just plug in the TechII into the car and change a few settings for a easy $85 dollar price tag. Quickest money ever.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts