Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Need help! Who can install to have top up&down remotely on convertible '07?

7K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  1of4885 
#1 ·
Need help, would like to be able to put top up and down via remote, found someone who would do it but extremely expensive, any alternative ideas?

#2 · (Edited)
I can make this happen..... I'm doing the same thing shortly. I think I can pull this off with a $14 part from eBay and a pair of relays while using the factory remote's trunk release button.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DEI-611T-12-VOL...156?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20ac8677f4

I want it to reverse whatever state the top is in automatically. I just need to see if the DEI part will do exactly what I want. Up or down by itself is easy with this part, but I will figure out how to get it work both ways....

I'll keep you posted.........

Edit:

OK, I read the entire manual that comes with this part..... I am doing two two things with them (I will need 2), I am converting the up / down to one touch control from the overhead switch so you don't have to hold the button down the whole time. I will also make the top go up and down via the factory remote. I'm just sorting out the conditions for raising and lowering the top remotely. I think I will install manual switches to enable / disable remote opening.

I will probably use the trunk release button for top down and the panic for up, but only if the switches are in the correct position, otherwise the buttons on the remote will function normally. I have to find the factory keyless module and tap into a few things to make it work.

#4 ·
More power to you guys, and I would love this capability, but the vert mechanism is one area I definitely will not touch while still in warranty, which I just recently extended an additional 6 years/75,000 miles :D

#5 ·
you know your prob right i bought the exited warranty on the 07 so i have bumper-bumper through 2014 then ill get a new one anyway, but thats the only way i would buy an American car! already had 1500$ in warranty work done to it already ( water pump, hermanic valve, interior bodywork, etc) so maybe i should think before i get this done!!

#6 ·
I'm not too worried about the warranty, all I'l be doing is connecting the two wires for top up / down through an external relay for one touch control.

I decided I only want top up capability by remote for when the weather starts to roll in, but I will probably end up doing both anyways.

I ordered the parts from eBay, I will take pics as I go...

It's stupid simple to hook up once you configure the dip switches on the external controllers.

If I shoot a video of it in action and provide simple instructions, I bet you will change your mind. You dont even have to go to the switch itself to do this, the up / down wires run right past the kick panel...

#9 ·
you know, I know of many convertibles that have the ability via factory to put it down with the remote, however I know that many do not do it because of liability, if top is going down and someone gets hurt and no one is there because its being put up/down by remote, they can be liable (stupid, but that is what I've heard).

#11 ·
Also would like to hear how this went -- is the switch a true 12v switch? if so, this really should be easy. I was going to try this with my 2010 camaro on the sunroof so i didn't have to hold the button to close (it already auto-opens) -- but the sunroof switch in that is actually a data communication switch that sends data to the ECM based on which direction you press, doesn't actually send 12v anywhere.

#17 · (Edited)
you should be able to do this with a remote control with two outputs.one for back and one for forward using relays.im not looking for one touch operation rather i want to be in a overall view area in case the flaps malfunction.as a different guestion id like to be able to use the ability to roll all windows down[or up]built into the top operation,separately.i generally roll all the windows down if its nice and would like to do that easier.what would be awesome is an aftermarket remote that would work with the factory alarm,remote trunk, and doors and add more functions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.