Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Need help with my speaker selection!

4K views 23 replies 4 participants last post by  barajas760 
#1 ·
Ello im new on the site, and a newbie to the car world. I own a '06 G6 Base. So I've recently started researching the best speakers to replace my factory speakers. Obviously my first desire would be kicker 6x9's. According to crutchfield they dont make 6x9 kickers that will fit. After way too much clicking and reading measurements ive come to the conclusion that the Kicker's are 1/16 inch to big on the top mount? It says the kickers require 3 1/4 top mount and the infinity require 3 3/16. Is my problem really 1/16 of an inch? That blows. Considering im new to this, ide like some advice on the issue. Posibilities of fitting the kickers? Or should i give up hope of kicker 6x9's?

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_206KS693/Kicker-KS693.html?tp=91#details-tab

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_10869311I/Infinity-Kappa-693-11i.html?tp=91#details-tab

#3 · (Edited)
Is there any reason you can see by going to the website why those Kicker 6x9's ive picked out wont fit? I would hate to buy them and not be able to install. Reselling would be easy but still at a loss. I am an extreme newb on cars so please help! lol

Oh i do NOT have a monsoon system.
Its as basic as it gets. lol

#9 ·
Glad you asked.
I purchased the Kicker KS693 for my rear deck.
Crutchfield was right. They didn't fit.
But nothing a little determination didn't fix!
I had to take about 1/4 in off all the way around the plastic factory brackets.
Drill one hole and carefully threaded in screw #4 and wallah im rocking kicker 6x9.
Crutchfield was right, but i got them to fit. Like a glove.
No vibration sounds, no cracked plastic. Just a long process of trial and error grinding and shaving out the inside of the bracket. But all in all, im so f**king happy they fit.
Still running the factory basic head unit and it sounds FLAWLESS i cant wait for my headunit coming up in the next few weeks.

#10 ·
Oh alright man thats cool, yeah sometimes you just need to get creative lol. but yeah you got them in, nice!, oh ok yeah the head unit is something im going to change soon, but the harness is like 150 so its going to be a little while. good luck with your stereo set up. if you have any questions PM me. I install stereos lol

#14 ·
So, as i said, choose a headunit that has the features you want. If you want it to be able to take multiple amps/eqs then buy one that has that capability.

Narrow down the choices in the order i put in my other post and you will get the best unit for your needs.

#16 · (Edited)
I planned on ordering this after my power steering problem is resolved.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130P4400BH/Pioneer-AVH-P4400BH.html
Any thoughts?
And then mounting one of these http://www.crutchfield.com/p_20611HS8/Kicker-11HS8.html?tp=114
Under my passenger set after checking to see if i have clearance of course.
Im not one for the outer bass that the people down the street can hear leaking out of my trunk.
I like the bass to stay in the cab where me and my passengers can FEEL it.
So far the kicker 6x9's do both. Everyone can hear, and i can damn sure feel it. lol
So i only need a little bit more to be satisfied.

Any thoughts/advice on my headunit and sub selection? Do they seem compatible?
Should i still run an amp to it? I like the "powered" aspect. Considering mounting one under each seat IF POSSIBLE.
I see alot of splicing to rear speakers...
Think of buying the RC adapter and plugging it in like a traditional amp setup?
I just want to drop it in, plug in the RCA's to my new headunit i showed above, run the power cable and slam some bass.
All advice appreciated since im new to the technical terms of car audio.

#19 ·
@barajas760 - Who are you asking?

@iCluff - now that I see your edit. They are compatible. The sub uses high level inputs, meaning all you have to do is splice your wires onto your rear speakers (or front if you'd like) to get a signal for the sub. RCAs are low level so they won't work here. I would not get an amp, the subs already have their own amp so there is no need.

#20 · (Edited)
Ahh thanks Dmanj i did NOT realize the vents were down there. lol
Im going to be very careful before buying.
Prolly buy local again incase of any new problems arising during installation.
It seems to have a adapter to plug into the RCA's of the headunit.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_20609ZISL/Kicker-09ZISL.html?tp=2802
Is the only way to run this sub to splice?
Or would that cable do what im thinking?
Turning it into good ol plug and play? :D

Barajas im not sure what you mean. The harness? I havent bought anything yet :D

#21 ·
From the pictures it seems that the only way to connect to it is by splicing. However, crutchfield does say that using that adapter will work. You'd still have to splice off the rear speakers to get the signal for the subs. I would call crutchfield to make sure, because as i said, i cant see from the pictures how you would connect rcas to it.

#22 · (Edited)
Thanks for the advice once again.
Ill have to call Crutch before i get to purchasing anything.

Im thinking though by the way it sounds, you connect the adapter to the cables off of the Kicker harness instead of splicing them.
You connect the adapter to them then plug it in straight to the headunit.
That's my assumption so far. lol

#24 ·
If Your looking for just simple in cab bass this setup would be best, the head unit is a bit much but it will deferentially be good enough and give you room to grow, and as Dmanj said there is no need for an amp, and the splicing wont be to difficult. by the end of this install you will have a good basis of car audio installation ha.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.