Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a G6 V6 w/16" wheels - nothing special. Standard stock. I am hearing this noise from what appears to be from the left front and can only hear from the inside - not if you are outside the vehicle. At first I thought it might be a warped rotor and the brake pads scraping. I had the rotor turned and the guy said on the second pass it smoothed out fine. Brake pads were also in great shape. Put all back together and still hear a humming noise like a little model airplane. So last night I bought a new rotor and brake pads - and still the same freaking noise. Friend of mine said it could possibly be the wheel bearings. At this point I'm stumped. Car runs fine - no degredation in the steering when accelerating or braking. Just the noise is irritating and can't be normal. The faster I go the higher the pitch. When braking the noise is still present but you can hear the decrease in noise as the vehicle comes to a stop. The noise is consistent. As I mentioned the functionality of the steering and brakes feel normal. If anyone can provide a hint or if you've experienced this issue, I'd appreciate it if you can let me know.. I just don't want to keep buying parts and not resolving the issue.

Thanks in advance...
Joe

·
Michigan G6er
217 Posts
Check the wheel bearings, Thats my only guess.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to those of you who offered suggestions. For such a large forum I would of anticipated more responses.

Anyway - yes it was the left side wheel bearings. In my particular model - NO ABS the part costed me 129 bucks. I had the used car dealer put the part on for 35 bucks. Of course the bearings are built in you do not need a press. Not sure if this is the case with all but at least on mine.

Additionally someone in this category reported hearing a "crackling noise". Which can be heard very well if you are in the lane next to the concrete road dividers. Replacing my front wheel bearings also resolved that issue.

Car rides as smooth as silk, no noise, got new brakes after already replacing to try and figure it out and still have the duralast gold pads when these wear down.

So I'm sorry dude - better find yourself another mechanic. If the noise is consistent and the braking motion or steering motion is not affected - yes - it 100 percent is your wheel bearings. Take that to the bank buddy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.