Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I have an 06 Malibu Maxx SS
WAMS 93 tune, Hard intake, 4T65-E Shift Kit, 100lbs-ish weight reduction, "performance" plug wires.

The car is my baby hauling grocery getter, so I dont want my exhaust noise to be too extreme, but the weight of the stock resonator and muffler kinda bothers me.

I am looking for options to replace them with lighter components. I dont mind decent exhaust sound, I just dont want it to be obnoxious.

Id like to know what I can expect noise-wise if I
1 delete the stock muffler and keep the resonator.
2 replace the stock muffler with one of those small dual out flowmaster mufflers
3 or if I just replace the stock resonator with a standard lightweight unit and put a small muffler in place of the stock one.

Wish I could just unbolt the stock muffler and try it out but it is welded on.

Thanks in advance. tried searching for a while first.

·
Registered
290 Posts
you could do a vibrant resonator with a flowmaster 80 series muffler. Would give you a great sound. Its just big so custom exhaust work would have to be done to get pipes to fit under the car. I have never seen under a malibu maxx so i don't know the space constraints but theres an option

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
I replaced my stock rez with a 24" cherry bomb. They are small and fit nicely in the well.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hey guys, thanks for all the advice. Just wanted to give an update for any malibu ss guys looking in the future.

Found a real reasonable exhaust shop that would let me do things one at a time with a test drive in between.

I ended up deleting the stock muffler for a y pipe (had them do it in such a way that we could easily add some of the small aftermarket mufflers between each tip of the Y and the end of the exhaust. Similar to what it looks like "mshinall" has. Ill probably just buy some of those and put them in myself when I have time. Can do the cutting and welding myself, just not the bending haha.

Then we put in one of those resonator/tube mufflers in the stock location.

Not gonna tell you the thing sounds awesome, however under normal driving it is quite quite all things considered. With the 3.9s torque curve you can easily keep it quiet and civil around town. When you get on it, it is pretty loud, sounds alright.

Mostly just very happy with the substantial weight reduction. Have cut quite a bit of heft off this thing so far. Just want a reasonably fun, unique, car I can have have my kids in and hold large objects.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts