Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all...

I am new to this forum and I currently own a '07 G6 GT, My car has 67k and so far the A/C compressor has been changed twice since I've owned it. Recently my compressor has gone out AGAIN! :banghead: I know that its the compressor this time because I have done the "Hammer Test" (The Hammer test consist of crawling under the car and tapping the compressor with the car running and the a/c on with a hammer till the clutch engages and it clicks on.) It worked for about a month of doing that. Now the hammer trick doesn't work .... :confused: ... I have gone to a few shops and have gotten quotes from a few mechanics ranging from $900-1200 to change out the A/C. (Of course the Dealer is $1200)

I was lucky the other times when the A/C went out because the car was still under warranty. Now that the A/C is out again and not under warranty I am either forced to spend $ to fix it or suffer in the heat with the Windows down. (We've had 60+ days in a row of 100*F or hotter)

Has anyone else had this problem?

From browsing this Forum I've noticed the G6 seems to have a big problem with the A/C Compressor....

SOMEONE HELP!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
606 Posts
I would push on the end of the clutch with a stick, if it engages, it's a clutch gap problem.
Needs clutch adjustment.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Before I laid out that much on A/C work I would try to get a GM extended warranty though I have no idea what that would cost you. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I'm supposed to check it with the engine off... There is no movement on the end of the compressor (the belt side). Am I checking the right spot?

·
Registered
606 Posts
You push it on the front of the clutch assy with engine running.
Another thing to check with engine off is remove and install the clutch electrical connector a few times in case if has corrosion on the pins.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You push it on the front of the clutch assy with engine running.
Another thing to check with engine off is remove and install the clutch electrical connector a few times in case if has corrosion on the pins.
I checked under the car this weekend and wiggled the connector to the compressor and yesterday I turned on the A/C just to see if it was working and sure enough it was! (it was working earlier today also) :banana:

I haven't had a chance to get under the car to see whats wrong with the connector. Maybe it was just a little loose or maybe its corroding? :confused:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I checked under the car this weekend and wiggled the connector to the compressor and yesterday I turned on the A/C just to see if it was working and sure enough it was! (it was working earlier today also) :banana:

I haven't had a chance to get under the car to see whats wrong with the connector. Maybe it was just a little loose or maybe its corroding? :confused:
That's great if that solves it.

Probably corrosion of the contacting surfaces. It doesn't take much to create an intermittent. Which is why it is a very good preventative treatment to buy a big tube of dielectric silicone & go crazy on every connector in the car you can get your hands on. It seals out liquid water & water vapor & really makes a difference in heading off intermittent problems like you're having now. It's usually a real PITA to clean the corrosion off after the fact.

Here's what I generally use but there must be a hundred different brands:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-22058-Dielectric-Tune-up-Grease/dp/B000AL8VD2/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1314773955&sr=1-1[/ame]

Just pull the connector apart & apply it liberally. It won't attract dirt as it is not a petroleum product. It also has a high melting point so it won't get runny. It really should be called a gel & not a grease at all. It won't remove corrosion though. You will have to clean that off first. Also use it on all lamps & lamp sockets.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts