Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Keep it factory baby!
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I know there's a thread for painted calipers but didn't really find answers I'm wanting. Does anyone have pictures of theirs painted? I'm wanting to go red since my 6 is silver. The only red pictures I've seen haven't been the bright red that I want. Is painting calipers worth it? Will it peel/chip? Do I spray or brush paint? Clear coat? Heck, I guess what I need is a how to article. Any tips would be nice. I though about ordering a Pontiac decal to stick on them when done, seen a thread in the Malibu forum where a guy had a decal on his.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Heres some pics of when I painted mine with duplicolor spray

Theres some more pictures in my progression here clicky, check out the next page too cuz i think i explained my whole prep and process there. Hope this helps!

·
Keep it factory baby!
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Love the metalic in the blue. I want red metalic. I'm still trying to decide brush or spray. Brush seems easier to do since I dont have to worry about painting things I dont want but I hear that brush peels. Spray would be more uniform covering but could get on some things i dont want painted.

·
Keep it factory baby!
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i did mine with the brush on stuff so much easier no taping

but i'm gonna be redoing them here soon new plan not so much a fan of the solid red
See Im a bit worried, the red looks dull and kinda dirty. I dont want to keep re-doing them. Maybe it's just the picture. Did you clear coat yours?

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
You can remove them to spray em. I just loosened them a but and used news paper to mask off the rotor and everything else. A little masking tape to seal things up.

All that after a real good cleaning with brake parts cleaner and a steel brush.
I didn't use primer or anything. Just high heat enamel that's used on engine blocks and stuff. I also didn't use any clear coat. Its kind of dirty and dark right now. But I'll give em a lil wipe and snap a pic or two to show the wear.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Just washed my car this weekend to get all the salt and grime off from the winter, after wiping the calipers off they look just like they did above. LIke crusin said I used duplicolor high heat enamel and it has held up fine

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,348 Posts
I think the G2 holds up a tad longer than the spray on Duplicolor, as it has a hardener
in it. Im not sure about metallic colors though.

I did mine yellow! lol

·
5,348 Posts
yes and no....

Dont cha love those kinda answers?

My stockers were painted on the car:

When I upgraded to the Brembos, I painted them off the car.

·
5,348 Posts
No. It wasnt hard at all. Just plan on using up allot of blue tape to mask everything good.
That is using the G2. With the hardener you have about 90 minutes before it dries so
mask everything before you start so you can quickly paint one after the other.

Also, I wouldnt paint them on the car if you spray.

·
5,348 Posts
I figured he meant the fins and the hub...? You can make it look a whole lot better with little effort.
Just dont get paint on the pads or surface where it touches.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts