Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Roger from Alberta, Canada. I just bought an 2008 G6 V6 3.5 SE sedan last Saturday with 35,697 miles or 57,450 Kilometers. see attachment

From the first time I saw the add on the dealer web page, I knew I had to go look at it (had all the right specs for me). I've always liked the G6 and it is a nice move up from my 2005 Pontiac Grand Am GT which I still have (4 years) and is still in decent shape (52816 miles). GA will will go to my son.

I test drove the car (was already warmed up by the dealer.... and I put an offer on it and bought the car as it did not have any drive-ability problems until I took delivery of the vehicle. Car stalled on spot during warm-up before I entered the car and chugged / surged / stumbled when I left the lot until it warmed up. (like it had serious fuel and transmission problems) I thought “holy cr*p” what did I just buy? So I did a lot of FAQ & you tube searches on the web and have fixed the problem/s and want to share what I did to fix the problem. I have NO regrets buying this G6 and would buy this EXACT car again. BTW, Price was reduced drastically from original asking dealer price. (wonder why - my win)

To make a long story short I will just summarize the FIX steps I performed for this condition.

1) CLEAN THROTTLE BODY. Inspected the throttle body (dirty TB know issue for this condition). It looked really clean from the outside after loosening the air intake clamp & sliding the tube over but it wasn't. It's very difficult to see dirt after the throttle body blade. It's there! Deposits are after the throttle blade in the back. Use throttle body cleaner and a rag because there is black carbon back there. Follow the TB cleaning procedure to ensure it's done properly. This is a service that your vehicle may need every few years (as required). Also the TB needs to be very clean as the computer controls the throttle plate to produce the desired opening. This is called "drive by wire." Must be free from dirt / carbon and TB shaft must open freely.

2) CLEAN MASS AIRFLOW SENSOR (MAF) TO STOP HESITATION. A Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor monitors the temperature and weight of air entering your engine. Your onboard computer needs that information to calculate the right amount of fuel for all engine operating conditions otherwise problems will occur. Over time, dust and oil particles stick to the hot wire/plate and bake on. Eventually, those baked-on particles insulate the wire/plate from the airstream. This causes starting, idling and acceleration problems, as well as poor gas mileage. Spray 10 to 15 spurts of the MAF cleaner onto the wire or plate ensuring that the two tiny wires that get dirt on them are cleaned. Dirty wires will send the wrong information to the computer (grams of air per second) which sends the incorrect amount of fuel to the engine. Right or wrong I even used contact cleaner on those wires and used canned air to dry off the whole MAF.

3) For preventive maintenance, I cleaned each connector to the TB & MAF with contact cleaned. Dried with canned air and reconnected.

4) Note about air filer & housing. When I checked & replaced the filer it was jammed & out of form due to the tightness of the housing at the front. (other side of where the the screws are where three tabs slide in). Back off the housing mounting screw / washer with foam underneath it that hold the housing in place, replace filer, slide the top filer housing and tighten the three screws. Then re-tighten the housing mounting screw / washer with foam underneath it.
Note: If any Tech experts want to reword / re-post any of this information please go ahead. This worked for me. The car runs like a new car. No stalling, no misses, no stumbling like transmission is faulty.

Thanks for your time. Roger D.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1 - 3 of 3 Posts