Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both of the original RKE remotes on our 08 GT coupe failed so I bought an aftermarket one today. All works fine. Lock unlock trunk start panic. I put winter wheels and tires on today and need to enter TPMS learn mode which you do by pushing lock and unlock simultaneously on the remote when the key is turned on. However this new remote doesn't work. Is there something with the aftermarket remotes? Any other way to activate tpms learn? The other method in the owners manual for non rke cars doesnt work.

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac G6 GXP, 3.6L V6 sedan
44 Posts
Unfortunately the aftermarket remote has to be programmed with a scanner tool into the cars obd port. When you are in there with a scanner tool it will show all the programmed remotes. You have to delete all of the ones that you do not have including any new one and relearn any remotes you want up to 4 to the car. I had the same issue with my GXP. I bought two new ones OEM and this is what I did. My car had the remote start feature as well. Once I did this everything worked and I was able to do the TPMS relearn. The other way is relearn the TPMS with a scanner tool as well at the dealer. Either way try to borrow a Snap On scanner tool if you can. The process took me 5 minutes to program the remotes. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately the aftermarket remote has to be programmed with a scanner tool into the cars obd port. When you are in there with a scanner tool it will show all the programmed remotes. You have to delete all of the ones that you do not have including any new one and relearn any remotes you want up to 4 to the car. I had the same issue with my GXP. I bought two new ones OEM and this is what I did. My car had the remote start feature as well. Once I did this everything worked and I was able to do the TPMS relearn. The other way is relearn the TPMS with a scanner tool as well at the dealer. Either way try to borrow a Snap On scanner tool if you can. The process took me 5 minutes to program the remotes. Hope this helps.
Well, the new remote came with the tool to plug into the OBD port. And as I stated in my post, every function works perfectly with the new remote. However the car will not enter the TPMS learn mode by pressing the lock and unlock buttons like it is supposed to.

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac G6 GXP, 3.6L V6 sedan
44 Posts
So it came with the tool so it only adds to the list. The main remote is the one that functions for the car to do the programming. That one is broken so you need to get those deleted from your car, then relearn the one and only one you have. You still need the scanner tool to delete the old remotes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So it came with the tool so it only adds to the list. The main remote is the one that functions for the car to do the programming. That one is broken so you need to get those deleted from your car, then relearn the one and only one you have. You still need the scanner tool to delete the old remotes.
Thank you for your responses. I guess I'm not explaining myself well. All you say is true and had been completed. Old remotes deleted and new one programmed in literally one minute. All functions on new remote work perfectly. It just does not put the car in TPMS learn mode when simultaneously pushing lock and unlock. I thought perhaps in order to save 17 cents that functionality is not programmed info the aftermarket remotes and was wondering if anyone else has seen this issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well just an update. Got an oem remote. Have it and the aftermarket one both programmed to the car. Both work fine. Only the oem one puts the car in tpms learn mode though. Seems like if you want complete functionality you can't go with the aftermarket.

·
Registered
366 Posts
GEE, When we got our 08 gt it only had ONE key and no remotes. Bought a set of 2 blank keys and two remotes aftermarket. The keys got cut at a local walmart and "paired" with no special gear(having an original key) The remotes programmed fine with an higher level scanner of my friends. ALL functions work, including using them to initiate the TPMS position learn.
I just did as the owners book said of key in the run position(engine off), but had removed the remote from key ring to do the press and hold the lock and unlock buttons simultaneously for 5 seconds. This was done just YESTERDAY when I installed my mounted set of 17' snow tire clad rims and all went flawlessly. Now for the winter it's got General altimax Arctic-12's in 215/55R17 size.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts